Good Seafood Restaurant in Gloucester, Mass

Martita B.

Can anyone please recommend a restaurant in "downtown" Gloucester? I'll be spending the night in a B&B on Western Ave. (downtown, by the cruise pier)the middle of Oct. and I would like to walk to a good place to eat close to the Bed and Breakfast.

Also, can a local please tell me what the weather will be? How cool?

I'll be boarding a ship the next morning and would like to know what to pack.

Thanking you in advance!

MB

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Martita,

Depending on the type of dining, I would recommend the Causeway, which is on Essex Avenue. It is an eat in the rough style place but the owners have family members in the fishing industry. Extremely fresh, plentiful and delicious seafood. It is directly across the street from the Yankee Fleet Whale Watch/Fishing. I would say it's a half mile from your B&B (I'm guessing you are staying across the street from the Fishermen at the Wheel).

Another great place is Captain Carlos (http://www.captaincarlos.com). A little more atmosphere than the Causeway. This is located in Harbor Loop which is off of Rogers Street. There is also weekend entertainment.

If you want something upscale, there is the Franklin Cafe (http://www.franklincafe.com) and Passports on Main Street. There is Alchamey's on Duncan (connects Main & Roger Streets) but I've been there a half dozen times and is not consistent.

I've been to all of these places and really enjoy them...but my all time favorite is Lobsta Land. It's located on Rte. 128S so it would be a short taxi cab away ($10-15 each way). It is on the marsh so there is a view. The menu is amazing. All very, very fresh and creative as well as more traditional fare. Great wines and martini's. Can't say enough as I love, love this place and eat there very often.

The weather should be 50's to low 60's during the day. It's damp and rainy today but just came out 3-4 days of 70's & 80's. It's New England so you just never know!

Let me know if you have any other questions. I love my town and it's wonderful that we have the recent addition of the new cruiseport.

Welcome and Enjoy!!

Thank you so very much for all the grrrreat information!

I too, love Gloucester and was so delighted when Seabourn changed ports a couple of years ago. I fly into Boston and it's a short "sedan with driver" ride over to Gloucester.

So many restaurants to choose from ~~~as I'm meeting a fellow shipmate we'll probably stroll from the B&B late afternoon and decide then where to dine in the downtown area.

Next morning, we'll be boarding the Seabourn Pride for a Culinary/Fine Wines 12 day cruise down the Eastern Seaboard.

I'm packing warm clothing ~~~~

Thanks again for your wonderful suggestions!

Martita B.

Archived