Seatle pier question

Italian Nancy

We are stopping in Seatle on our upcoming cruise, and are wondering how far away the fisherman's market is from the pier.. is it necessary to take a tour or can we walk there from the ship. We want to see Pike's market and the flying fish

thanks, Nancy

It's definitely too far to walk from Terminal 30, which is in the industrial port of Seattle, where the Holland America ships dock, to Pike Place Market, which is downtown. It's about a 10 minute taxi ride. Have fun:)

*However, every once in a blue moon, particularly at the end of the season (late September) you may get lucky and your ship may dock at Pier 66, which is smack downtown, and a terrific location. It's still a bit of a hike, as you may have to climb some pretty steep streets/steps to get to Pike Place Market, but it's a much better location than Terminal 30.

If your ship SHOULD dock at pier 66, there is an elevator a short distance away (on the street) to take you up the hills to the street where the market is. It is only a short walk from the elevator to Pike Place Market.

Marilyn

We are stopping in Seatle on our upcoming cruise, and are wondering how far away the fisherman's market is from the pier.. is it necessary to take a tour or can we walk there from the ship. We want to see Pike's market and the flying fish. thanks, Nancy

Nancy, I believe you're on the Zui's Sept 29 repositioning Vanc - FLL and posted on our roll call as <Italianmama> :confused: . . . we've been waiting for you to come back and let us know if you and Tony will join us at our CC Meet 'n' Mingle the day after our fellow cruise critters board in Los Angeles. Others from Toronto will be there, but that shouldn't scare you off. ;) Ya'll come on over, we're having a good time already.

Will we see you?

Someone has to be the contrarian and I guess it's my turn. We have walked to/from Pike Place and Terminal 30. It's about a 2.5 mile walk, each way.

The terminal is on Marginal Way which becomes the Alaskan Way as you move North and leads directly to Pike Street. The market is east of the Alaskan Way. This is less than a scenic walk, unless you have plenty of time for a detour. A taxi is faster and easier on the feet.

If you are staying at a Seattle hotel the night before your cruise, when you check in at the hotel just ask the hotel to arrange a car or taxi for you to go to the pier -- that way you will be sure to have the transportation you require at the time that you wish to go. You could probably even arrange it before you leave home by calling the hotel.

*However, every once in a blue moon, particularly at the end of the season (late September) you may get lucky and your ship may dock at Pier 66, which is smack downtown, and a terrific location. It's still a bit of a hike, as you may have to climb some pretty steep streets/steps to get to Pike Place Market, but it's a much better location than Terminal 30.

That explains it! I was getting confused by all the posts saying it was too far to walk, as I remember it being a short walk from the market to the pier, when my family and I sailed out of Seattle a few years ago on the Amsterdam in late August. We must have been docked at Pier 66!

Archived