Trouble w/ Spirit Air Res. made by Carnival

greysrule

I originally posted this question under the "Carnival" section but thought I would try here as well.

Has anyone had Carnival book their airline reservations for them with Spirit Air? My PVP at the time, she has since left, got me the same price I could get on my own and said it ties into Carnival's system so they can track if there is a flight change, etc. Hey, I thought this sounded like a good idea.

The problem I have run into is that since Carnival made our reservations I am unable to pre-assign our seats, have to wait until I get to the airport, and cannot pay for the checked baggage (would save $20) as opposed to having to check my baggage at the airport. I have tried calling Spirit Air numerous times and can NEVER get through to anyone! I was on hold last night for 57 minutes and finally hung up.:mad: I have gone thru Spirit's E-mail a question service and have only received a confirmation that I submitted a question, but no answer or phone call back to me yet. Even though Carnival booked the flights, they are unable to help me at this point. :(

I have never flown on Spirit Air and thus far, I'm not having a pleasurable experience. Has anyone else out there run into this situation? If so, who can I contact to get this resolved? We are only 11 days out from our cruise. Thanks for any assistance.

I'm not understanding your questions. Many times you cannot get seats assigned until day of departure, so that's not a real problem--we have that all the time when we fly Southwest because they don't assign seats but it's sit whereever when you get on board. But, I don't know what you're saying regarding luggage. What do you mean, pay for checked baggage? Are you saying that you know your bags are going to be overweight? "As opposed to having to check baggage at the airport"??? What does that mean? You always have to check your bags at the airport when flying with bags. Maybe you can explain things a little clearer?

I'm not understanding your questions. Many times you cannot get seats assigned until day of departure, so that's not a real problem--we have that all the time when we fly Southwest because they don't assign seats but it's sit whereever when you get on board. But, I don't know what you're saying regarding luggage. What do you mean, pay for checked baggage? Are you saying that you know your bags are going to be overweight? "As opposed to having to check baggage at the airport"??? What does that mean? You always have to check your bags at the airport when flying with bags. Maybe you can explain things a little clearer?

With Spirit Air you have the option to select your seats. Since Carnival made my reservations, Spirit Air treats them as a travel agent and their system does not allow Carnival or myself, the end-user, to go into their system to make selections, etc. As far as the luggage goes, Spirit Air lets you bring 1 bag per customer at no charge (i.e. carry on bags). For each additional checked bag there is a $10 charge for each bag prior to the date of your flight and reserved on-line, otherwise, there is a charge of $20 per bag!

As you can see, I've learned a lot through this process. I just can't understand why a rep from Spirit cannot return my inquiry and get into their own system to help me out! Hope that explains things further.

Finally got thru to someone at Spirit Air by pressing Option #1 for a new reservation vs. Opotion #2 for an existing reservation. She told me that since Carnival booked my reservations I CANNOT pre-assign my seats and she told me to get to the airport early to check in - great.:( Regarding the checked baggage, she assigned a report to my reservation, so when we get to the airport early, then they will see that I've tried without success to pay the cheaper rate for my checked baggage. At least I finally spoke with a person!

Lesson learned - ALWAYS make your own airline reservations; don't let Carnival do it!

Since you are so close to travel, you could go on Spirit's website and pretend you are booking those flights to see how full the flight is. I have flown Spirit before and had no problems, but I also booked it myself. Get to the airport early to check in so that will reduce the chance of you getting bumped. They routinely overbook their flights.

THe following is from Spirit's website:

"For customers who purchased tickets prior to December 15, 2006, for each ticketed passenger, Spirit Airlines will transport two (2) bags as checked luggage free of charge. For customers who purchased tickets between December 15, 2006 and March 6, 2007, Spirit Airlines will transport one (1) piece of luggage at no charge per fare-paying customer. For customers who purchased tickets on or after March 6, 2007 for travel on or after June 20, 2007, charges will apply to each item transported as checked luggage."

Indeed, the current policy does not allow for any free checked luggage ... it is $5 or $10 per bag, depending on how one reserves bag space -- airport or web, for the first two and $100 for the third bag ... plus any applicable overweight/oversize fees. Excess/overweight/oversize bags handled on space-available basis. You mentioned a $10 or $20 (web vs. airport) fee for checked bags, and I believe those amounts are incorrect. Indeed, one carryon is free.

hi,

i received an e-mail today from spirit asking me to call them. i was on hold for 35 mins. and hung up. they changed my flight time coming home according to the e-mail. when i booked my flight online i was able to select my seats. but if you print out your boarding pass online you cannot change your seats. i was not able to do the luggage yet. hope this helps you.

cinnamon123

hi,

i received an e-mail today from spirit asking me to call them. i was on hold for 35 mins. and hung up. they changed my flight time coming home according to the e-mail. when i booked my flight online i was able to select my seats. but if you print out your boarding pass online you cannot change your seats. i was not able to do the luggage yet. hope this helps you.

cinnamon123

Hi Cinnamon! Weeks ago I had also received an E-mail with a change in departure time for our return trip. I didn't have to call them though, they just sent an E-mail. I just hope all goes well on Sunday morning and that we get to FLL when we're supposed to! Good luck to you when it's your turn to fly with them. Another poster recently said that he had no problems at all with Spirit and it was even his first time flying.

Archived