Beachchick Help w Luau, please??

polodad

Aloha & Quick request to Beachchick. Will be in Honolulu for honeymoon 10/7 & want to do a luau. Deciding between Royal Hawaiian & Paradise Cove. Your candid opinions of both please.

Michelle: please, please do not refer me to the 1,000s of posts on luaus. Just spent 30 minutes reading about Maui. Not going there, mahalo!.

• Administrators
Aloha & Quick request to Beachchick. Will be in Honolulu for honeymoon 10/7 & want to do a luau. Deciding between Royal Hawaiian & Paradise Cove. Your candid opinions of both please.

Michelle: please, please do not refer me to the 1,000s of posts on luaus. Just spent 30 minutes reading about Maui. Not going there, mahalo!.

Excuse me? As it happens, we did the Paradise Cove Luau on Oahu, none on Maui. When I refer people to previous threads, or give search advice, it's for a very good reason -- many frequently-asked questions here don't receive a lot of replies, because folks with information figure they have furnished the information recently. I'm hardly alone in doing this, but I only do it because these other threads are sources of additional information. I could just be ugly and say "that's been asked a lot, why don't you just do a search, dude?" But I don't -- like Beachchick does from time to time, I spend some of my time to DO the search, then just furnish the links. :rolleyes:

I also normally don't post on threads titled "Beachchick...." but I do read them, in case it's a question I also have and I'd like to know Beachchick's views. So I happened to see your comments directed at me. :(

As it happens, because I read this board a lot, I know that Beachchick doesn't do commercial luaus, by choice. If you find being referred to links offensive, I'm very sorry -- I only try to help fellow travellers. If you want to know what we thought of Paradise Cove, based on our personal experience, it's in my review which (sorry to say) is linked below. Royal Hawaiian was also recently discussed here extensively.

Michelle thanks for posting all the links and tips. I for one really appreciate all the research you do for us.

To the OP we decided on the Germines Luau for a few reasons. I don't like the idea that PC threats you different if you pay a higher price, just not my cup of tea. First come first serve, Germines treats anyone the same. Plus my group would not get that involved with the pre activities. I also like the menu better at Germines and they offer a veggie dish, :) That's our reasons for picking Germine's.

polodad: As MichellP mentions, my DH and I don't attend commercial luaus. Unfortunately, I have absolutely no information to help you. At the risk of annoying you: Have you tried doing an advanced search for those luaus only? Something like "paradise cove luau" or even just "paradise cove" and so forth. You could try "oahu luau" to limit the number of threads about Maui luaus. If you decide to try that, definitely use only the advanced search on this forum only going back a few months or less. You are less likely to get "1,000s" of posts that way.:)

MichellP is correct that some questions (including information about luaus on Oahu) come up all the time. For long-time members who know they've just written a detailed response to a question last week, a couple of weeks ago, or even many time in the recent past, some of us (including me sometimes) just don't want to hash it all out again. MichellP is attempting to give you good advice to help you find the plethora of threads that are already there to help you. Please don't take the suggestion as an insult; I assure you it is not meant to be in the slightest way.

MichellP: I, for one, appreciate how you have tried to tactfully suggest good ways for new members (or long-time members new to this forum) to find threads about some of the subjects that come up over and over again.:) I know that you were able to find lots of good information that way. I have noticed where you have taken the time on several threads to do a detailed and specific search, and then posted helpful links. (As I do sometimes, and mahalo for mentioning it.) Yes, it uses extra time, but sometimes I don't mind, especially if I know it's a subject that might be hard to pin down. (I do mind it when members expect others to do the work for them or write something like, "I can't be bothered to do a search, so please spend lots of time writing everything out just for me..."--obviously I am not referring to polodad here as he tried a search but didn't find the threads he needed.)

Anyway, you're becoming one of the most helpful members on this forum, IMO (not that it means all that much). Perhaps one day we will meet in the islands and sip a mai tai or two (or more).:D

In the spirit of aloha, here are a couple of on-topic threads I just pulled up from a quick search:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=591337&highlight=%22paradise+cove%22

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=538984&highlight=%22paradise+cove%22

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=607668&highlight=%22royal+hawaiian+luau%22

beachchick:)

• Administrators

MichellP: I, for one, appreciate how you have tried to tactfully suggest good ways for new members (or long-time members new to this forum) to find threads about some of the subjects that come up over and over again.:) I know that you were able to find lots of good information that way. I have noticed where you have taken the time on several threads to do a detailed and specific search, and then posted helpful links. (As I do sometimes, and mahalo for mentioning it.) Yes, it uses extra time, but sometimes I don't mind, especially if I know it's a subject that might be hard to pin down. (I do mind it when members expect others to do the work for them or write something like, "I can't be bothered to do a search, so please spend lots of time writing everything out just for me..."--obviously I am not referring to polodad here as he tried a search but didn't find the threads he needed.)

Anyway, you're becoming one of the most helpful members on this forum, IMO (not that it means all that much). Perhaps one day we will meet in the islands and sip a mai tai or two (or more).:D

beachchick:)

Mahalo, Beachchick! I'd love to meet for mai tais (definitely plural!) and share stories. I just viewed KKCruiser's photos of her trip and I'm ready to go back to Hawaii today! Unfortunately, my boss might not understand. ;)

Well I thought I would throw my two cents in...LOL!! MichellP I wanted to tell you that I loved reading your review...actually I just printed it out again to read again over the weekend. We still haven't decided what we are doing the second day in Maui and Kauai. I have also been all over these boards for the last year (long story) and you and beachchick have been so helpful!! I for one really appreciate it. I do find this board to be overwhelming sometimes, so it really helps to have you guys around to point us in the right direction.:D

I am so excited....8 weeks from today!! We have been waiting for a year and a half for this trip...and I can't believe its right around the corner.

Letha

Mahalo, Beachchick! I'd love to meet for mai tais (definitely plural!) and share stories. I just viewed KKCruiser's photos of her trip and I'm ready to go back to Hawaii today! Unfortunately, my boss might not understand. ;)

Well!...Your mean old boss. How rude!:p

I'm feeling the need for a Hawaii visit, but (alas, heavy sigh) it must wait until at least next year.

beachchick:D

Archived