Crossing Borders

bonzijam

I recently rented a car from Budget to pick up at the pier and the fine print states "for Dutch side only". Will there be a problem with us "going to the French side?" My family rented a car and visited the island many years ago and I just don't remember anything about the border crossing. Can someone jolt my memory if this is a big deal and if it will be a problem being in the Budget rental?

I recently rented a car from Budget to pick up at the pier and the fine print states "for Dutch side only". Will there be a problem with us "going to the French side?" My family rented a car and visited the island many years ago and I just don't remember anything about the border crossing. Can someone jolt my memory if this is a big deal and if it will be a problem being in the Budget rental?

Nobody has a problem with this. We have rented for years and driven all over the island.

If it says for Dutch side only then I suspect they mean it. It might be possible theate you got only includes the Dutch side but they may have a rate for the whole island. Its possible they pay a higher insurance fee or incur a local fee of some sort. I would certainly check it out first.

your passport, visa, local currency and health documents when driving from the Dutch to the French side. They are very strict and are afraid that Dutch elm disease could spoil the French oak in Marigot. Be ready to pay for 2 rentals if using the car on both sides and try not to drive to St. Barths as the bridge is not finished.

I hope you understand that the preceeding was a joke.

Here is a what is on this Budget contract: The following terms and conditions apply to your rental: Other:

Additional driver....additional fee.

*Cross border traffic: Cars are allowed on the Dutch side of the island.

Coverage...Theft Loss Waiver.

Doesn't mention anything about allowing (or not) on the French Side.

Has anyone had problems with Budget and travelling the whole island? Or, maybe I will just rent from Arthurs and not worry about where we can drive.

Archived