question about quads

AnneBonney

In the quad cabins on the Vista class ships where is the 4th bed? I know the third is the sofa. We've done the Disney cruises in the past and the 4th bed pulled down from the ceiling above the sofa. Is it the same on the Vista class ships?

Thanks!

In the quad cabins on the Vista class ships where is the 4th bed? I know the third is the sofa. We've done the Disney cruises in the past and the 4th bed pulled down from the ceiling above the sofa. Is it the same on the Vista class ships?

Thanks!

Yes, thats how I remember it.

I was wondering about the sofa bed. Some people complain that it blocks access to the balcony when it is used, is that because it's a pull out sofa bed? If so, does the cabin steward close it during the day?

I have only had a quad on RCCL and the sofa cushions are removed and the sofa becomes a twin bed (and stays the exact same size), so it does not alter the cabin's floor space.

I was in an inside quad on the Noordam. In that room the sofa opened out to make a twin bed, and the fourth bed came down from the ceiling over the two regular beds.

When the sofa was opened there would be little room to walk. The chair and table would have to be either 1.) squeezed between that bed and the desk, or 2.) be placed in front of the closets. In either case there would be a narrow path between it and the bathroom.

I was in an inside quad on the Noordam. In that room the sofa opened out to make a twin bed, and the fourth bed came down from the ceiling over the two regular beds.

When the sofa was opened there would be little room to walk. The chair and table would have to be either 1.) squeezed between that bed and the desk, or 2.) be placed in front of the closets. In either case there would be a narrow path between it and the bathroom.

Thanks. :)

Did the sofa bed stay open all day? or did the steward close it each morning?

Being a pull out sofa, was it only as wide as a single? or was it more like a double?

Sorry for all the questions, but I have searched here and in the cabin selection thread, and not found my answers.

Did the sofa bed stay open all day? or did the steward close it each morning?

I never had it opened---I went as a solo. The cabin was spacious for one, would have been fine for two; three people would have been tight. Four people would have been :eek: .

Being a pull out sofa, was it only as wide as a single? or was it more like a double?

It was only as wide as a single. The couch itself was only a bit wider than a single bed, then took a slight curve toward the desk. I know how it would open out because I pulled off the cushion and checked underneath it. :o

The couch was immediately to my right as I opened the door, and went along the passageway wall. The part that is the bed opened toward mid-ship (that is, away from the door/passageway wall).

We had a quad balcony cabin on the Zuiderdam. The fourth bed pulled down over the queen sized bed, so if you were in bed you do have to be careful not to hit your head. The sofa bed when open does block acess to the balcony but the bed is kept closed during the day and your steward will open it at night. It was the equivalent of a twin size bed when open. It didn't bother us when the bed was open you just kind have to climb over to get to the balcony.

The Sofa makes into one single, a bed pulls out of ceiling. My sister had the queen bed mad eup with heads where the feet are and feet were then under pull down. I slept with the pull down over our head, no problem. The Sofa does indeed block the balcony. It is put together at nite and returned to couch status in am. The steward took care of all beds. It was just fine for the four of us. My daughter did not like the motion on the pull down bed and we just used Bonine medication at bed time to help with the very , ever so slight motion. We were in front of ship floor 5. I will get my sister "rewopjm" to post the photo of the quad on Friday.

The Sofa makes into one single, a bed pulls out of ceiling. My sister had the queen bed mad eup with heads where the feet are and feet were then under pull down. I slept with the pull down over our head, no problem. The Sofa does indeed block the balcony. It is put together at nite and returned to couch status in am. The steward took care of all beds. It was just fine for the four of us. My daughter did not like the motion on the pull down bed and we just used Bonine medication at bed time to help with the very , ever so slight motion. We were in front of ship floor 5. I will get my sister "rewopjm" to post the photo of the quad on Friday.

Thank you for all the helpful information. It is a completely different arrangement than the quads on RCCL.

I look forward to the picture.:D

Hi, I recently asked the exact same thing. Here's a link to that thread, which also contains a photo of a quad balcony with the sofa bed open and the 4th berth lowered. The picture is so helpful! While I haven't sailed Holland, we sailed Carnival, RCCL, and Celebrity and with each they have raised the berth and lowered it everyday and I'm guessing they will open and close the sofa bed for us/you too.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=610418

That is my picture so I won't post it again, but having just stayed in a Quad I will say that it is a strange set up, but we did just fine in it. We pushed the little table between the window and the pull out. Yes, it is difficult (not impossible) to get out on the balcony when the bed is pulled out but once my daughter was up in the morning I just closed the bed myself and the room steward always fixed it up nice for us when he made up the room.:)

That is my picture so I won't post it again, but having just stayed in a Quad I will say that it is a strange set up, but we did just fine in it. We pushed the little table between the window and the pull out. Yes, it is difficult (not impossible) to get out on the balcony when the bed is pulled out but once my daughter was up in the morning I just closed the bed myself and the room steward always fixed it up nice for us when he made up the room.:)

Hi Mary Jane,

Was your cabin inside or outside? I can't tell from the pic.

Laura

Wow, a picture really is worth a thousand words.

I wonder what they were thinking when they decided to configure the cabins that way. Putting the 4th berth over the sofa and having a curtain you can use to separate the main bed from the other two like on RCCL makes a lot more sense to me, but we wanted to try HAL so we'll see how this arrangement works out.

Thanks again to everyone who posted more info on the set up.:)

:) MaryJanes photo is of a fifth floor verandah cabin on the Noordam. The reason they don't put the bunk over the little sofa is that the area is not wide enough. We had four in our quad next to her and it worked just fine. We just loved our stay on the Noordam. I have also been on the Princess Quad and found it was just a horrible set up. Everything on the Noordam is great,

MaryJane's Sister,

Kathy

:) MaryJanes photo is of a fifth floor verandah cabin on the Noordam. The reason they don't put the bunk over the little sofa is that the area is not wide enough. We had four in our quad next to her and it worked just fine. We just loved our stay on the Noordam. I have also been on the Princess Quad and found it was just a horrible set up. Everything on the Noordam is great,

MaryJane's Sister,

Kathy

Thank you Kathy,

We will be in a Category C cabin. I think they are configured slightly differently. At least on the virtual tour on the HAL website looks like the bunk is over the couch..

Laura

Archived