Ordering extra at dinner

rookie1920

You might ask how large the servings are first! Or peek at another table. I remembered loving the modest serving of duck I'd had on a previous Triumph cruise and wishing afterwards that I'd had the gumption to order another serving. So last week on Legend, remembering what I'd read about things being easier for the servers if you order the extra upfront, that's what I did. GF ordered it also, so out came... three HUGE duck entrees. Well, I was pretty hungry, and the duck was to DIE for, but I just wasn't up to the task of a second helping that size! I felt pretty guilty about leaving all that delicious duck to waste on the table and apologized profusely to my server, who was of course gracious about it and explained that the duck servings on Spirit Class are larger than those I remembered from Triumph class. Maybe he just said that to make me feel better...

In retrospect, maybe I should have asked to take it back to my room for a late night snack. Walking out of the dining room in my tuxedo with my doggie bag under my arm probably wouldn't have been as tacky as letting an entire untouched plate of delicious duck go completely to waste... :o

If you see more than one appetizer you'd like, ORDER IT (I sure did)!

If you see more than one entree you'd like, ORDER IT (did this one too)! :D

If you see more than one dessert you'd like, ORDER IT (didn't do this one. Usually didn't have a lot of room for dessert).

But you get the point.

One of my tablemates ordered 3 steaks one night! Eat as much as you like! :o

we have done about 7 cruises RCL, Princess, Celebrity and Radisson. what we learned is that if you order all your entree or appetizer choices at the same time, it is absolutely no trouble and you will even get a smile. However, if you order one entree and then later ask for another, it is really a problem for the kitchen. They will do it but recall they are staging meals for thousands and it is the rhythm that counts. so do your survey and order all you want but all at the same time.

The head waiter knew that the DW and I were first time Carnival cruisers (I guess from the information that they had on their guest card or computer). We were the first to order that first night and I ordered two appetizers and two different entrees and asked if he would please leave the potato off the one order. He smiled and did so without saying anything. Others at our table started asking about "We can do that?" He then told everyone at the table that they too could do the same thing for anything that sounded good to them.

But after the meal and we were starting to leave he approached me and asked how I knew about being able to order what I wanted and as much as I wanted from the menu seeing that this was suppose to be our first cruise. I told him I was a member of the "Cruise Critic" board and this was one of the things that I had learned on-line.

He never said so...but I think he was just a little hurt about not being able to be the first to tell EVERYONE at the table that we could order extras off the menu.

Don

We too sat at a large table with a bunch of new cruisers and we couldn't decide on the desert, so he brought all of them out for my DW and I . The look on the faces of the other people at our table was memorable.

I ended up ordering 8 lobster tails one night later in the cruise, but I was beat by someone else at our table who ordered and ate 10:eek:

We too sat at a large table with a bunch of new cruisers and we couldn't decide on the desert, so he brought all of them out for my DW and I . The look on the faces of the other people at our table was memorable.

I ended up ordering 8 lobster tails one night later in the cruise, but I was beat by someone else at our table who ordered and ate 10:eek:

BURP! Sorry, excuse me! Anyone have a Tums?

Now that is some eating! Now was that just the tails or everything that came with them and the other courses of the dinner also, plus dessert?

Don

I have read that you are allowed to order practically anything you want at dinner, meaning i can order a steak, and then say i want the lobster thats on the menu also.

Has anyone done that? Seen anyone do that? I am just trying to get an idea of how many people actually do that. I dont want to have bad ettiqutte or something like that, cause if people are doing it.... then its on!

The DH does it all the time, He always orders at least 2 entrees. I have ordered more than one appitzer also. Never a porblem. If you don't like what you ordered just ask for something else.

I have read that you are allowed to order practically anything you want at dinner, meaning i can order a steak, and then say i want the lobster thats on the menu also.

Has anyone done that? Seen anyone do that? I am just trying to get an idea of how many people actually do that. I dont want to have bad ettiqutte or something like that, cause if people are doing it.... then its on!

Feel free. THey have yet to ask my husband to leave...lol. He orders a couple things from each course...IF NOT MORE!! On our group cruise last year the guys all put a hurtin' on lobster night. They just kept bringing them as long as the wanted them.

COOK?? Too much work for me ... I'm on VACATION!!!

Think of it more like a camp out. I usually pack my portable fire pit, which allows me to reheat any leftover meat I sneak into my DW's purse. Throw it on a stick and serve with some rolls (also from dinner). Nothing better than "meat smore's" from my balcony!

Archived