Portofino on a Sunday - is it open?

Hmm, we were there on a Sunday, and I can't say I really remember anything that was obviously closed. Of course, I was still in something of a haze from walking around Rome the day before, so my memory isn't that great of that port. Of course, unless you like shopping for really expensive stuff, I'm not really that convinced there's a whole lot to do there anyways.

Well, you have to realize that there is not much in Portofino other than cafes, restaurants, and shops. On Sundays, some of the shops are closed and some are open. As to the cafes/restaurants, they will all be open. So why do you go to Portofino? Because the setting is absolutely gorgeous.

Hank

Thanks for the responses' date=' folks. We now know it's worth getting off the ship![/quote']

Definitely. The first time we were in Portofino we noticed a gorgeous large white yacht as we were walking along the pier (by the tender dock). As we stopped to look, two lovely ladies walked off the yacht (Debbie Reynolds and Ava Gabor) and they obviously thought Portofino was worth some time.

Hank

We took the ship's excursion and since tour buses can't drive to the town we were put on a boat from Santa Margarita (?); it was a very enjoyable trip approaching from the water. Portofino is a beautiful place for a walk and a gelato. You won't regret going. The shops are designer and expensive.

Archived