Bicycle Experience on Amadeus Cruises

jrowland

How did you manage your last River Cruise Reservation?  

18 members have voted

1. 1. How did you manage your last River Cruise Reservation?

• Reserved directly through Cruise Line
    • Local T.A.
    • On-Line Web Site (i.e. Affordable Tours, Brendan, Pavlus, Vacations to Go ...etc)
    • Other (If you would like to share your reservation procedures, please post)

Hi,

Notice that bicycles are available on Amadeus cruises and wondered if anyone has taken advantage and used the bicycles when in port.

We are considering the Magnificent Europe cruise and wondered if there were many opportunities to use the bicycles and be worth trying out?

Happy Cruising:D

Jeff

There were several people on our cruise that decided to take a bike tour from one port to another. They had to get permission from the port masters in order to do it. They tried to get the okay from the lock masters, but they all said no. I believe they got off at Miltenburg and got back on in Wertheim. It took them 3 or 4 hours to do it and they were all very sore when they re-boarded. One woman apparently fell early in the trip and had to ride injured the whole way. She spent the rest of the day in her cabin and the rest of the trip on crutches. I would suggest taking the bikes only for local towns and not long trips like that one. Although, if you are a biker, I could not think of a better way to see the countryside.

Buck

I was on the Amadagio on the Magnificent Europe trip in July 2007. I agree with Buckland, I would only take a bike into town and not on a long ride. There were several that took the 26 KL ride, which took them sevral hours, most came back sore from the long ride and wet, it rained along the way. the bikes are very nice, they provide helmets etc. and even packed them a box lunch. I think the only one that truely enjoyed the bike trip was the 16 year old boy that was on our cruise....he wanst sore and he didnt care if he got wet. If you do take a bike into town, be careful on the cobblestone streets, we saw people fall more than once when the tire got stuck in between the cobblestones.

Magnificent Europe is a wonderful cruise, hope you enjoy it as much as we did.:)

Yosemitegal....my daughter and I were on that trip too...and my daughter (20 yrs. old) did the bike trip with that group. Let's just say it was an "adventure" and it still makes for some great stories. Let me also say, that I was glad I backed out of that ride! :D Not sure how often they do that ride on the ship, but the "guide" from the ship got them lost and the trip took even longer than normal....plus they all got caught in torrential rains! Also, even tho the bikes looked good....if you are taking out a bike...make sure to check it out thoroughly BEFORE you head out! There were a couple on that trip that got stuck with bikes that were faulty (stuck in gears that made the trip difficult to say the least!). Having said all that...if you asked my daughter today she would tell you that bike riding adventure was one of the highlights of her trip!

Archived