Money question

GODIVA28

Hi everyone,

Sooooo looking forward to our cruise next weekend on Millenium. A colleague at work has recently come back from the Med on Galaxy and didn't want to get off!! A couple of question if I may. In our information from Celebrity it asks about how we want to have our credit card conversion done a) through Celebrity or b) using our own credit card company? To be honest I am not sure if there is much difference or will Celebrity charge more as we are using a non US card? Any help with that would be gratefully received. One other thing, I get the pre paid or using the envelopes at the end of the cruise for tipping - what I would really like to know is - is there a lot on ongoing tipping during the cruise? or does one put an envelope together at the end of the cruise for those who may have provided 'over and above' service?

I have been reading the boards for some weeks now and have found some extremely good information - so thank you all. :cool:

I would imagine you'd receive the best exchange rate possible by letting your bank handle the exchange. Typically interbank rates will be the best possible rate for any given day. I'm not so sure how favorable Celebrity's exchange rate will be...

Hi everyone,

One other thing, I get the pre paid or using the envelopes at the end of the cruise for tipping - what I would really like to know is - is there a lot on ongoing tipping during the cruise? or does one put an envelope together at the end of the cruise for those who may have provided 'over and above' service?

I have been reading the boards for some weeks now and have found some extremely good information - so thank you all. :cool:

We've done additional over and above at end of cruise. Short note and extra tip. About the only ongoing for us is room service - a couple bucks each time they deliver.

Check with your credit card companies to see what their exchange costs are. There are some high-end cards that actually have no exchange fee.

I also understand that ATM exchange fees are among the lowest cost exchangers. If you need local cash, consider getting it from an ATM.

Also, if you are a member of AAA, you might be able to get no-fee traveler's checks denominated in foreign currencies. However, I don't know how favorable their exchange rate is.

Hi everyone,

Sooooo looking forward to our cruise next weekend on Millenium. A colleague at work has recently come back from the Med on Galaxy and didn't want to get off!! A couple of question if I may. In our information from Celebrity it asks about how we want to have our credit card conversion done a) through Celebrity or b) using our own credit card company? To be honest I am not sure if there is much difference or will Celebrity charge more as we are using a non US card? Any help with that would be gratefully received. One other thing, I get the pre paid or using the envelopes at the end of the cruise for tipping - what I would really like to know is - is there a lot on ongoing tipping during the cruise? or does one put an envelope together at the end of the cruise for those who may have provided 'over and above' service?

It is generally felt that you let you creditcard company do the conversion and you get a better rate. X claim they use Bloomberg's rates [a US version of Reuters] but they do also charge a conversion fee - I have heard that this is meant to be 3% but have never had this substantiated.

If you have prepaid the tips then you will get the envelopes in your room on the last night and some preprinted vouchers - put the correct voucher in the appropriate envelope and hand it over! No need to put extra in unless you want to. The only 'ongoing' tipping during the cruise is the 15% that is automatically added to any drink you buy.

and finally - welcome to CC and enjoy your cruise!

It is generally felt that you let you creditcard company do the conversion and you get a better rate. X claim they use Bloomberg's rates [a US version of Reuters] but they do also charge a conversion fee - I have heard that this is meant to be 3% but have never had this substantiated.

If you have prepaid the tips then you will get the envelopes in your room on the last night and some preprinted vouchers - put the correct voucher in the appropriate envelope and hand it over! No need to put extra in unless you want to. The only 'ongoing' tipping during the cruise is the 15% that is automatically added to any drink you buy.

and finally - welcome to CC and enjoy your cruise!

One of my UK cards has a 0% rate. £-$ we got $1.91, the interbank rate was $1.98..

Hi everyone,

WE USE ONE OF OUR CREDIT CARDS FOR ALMOST EVERTHING THAT HAS NO

CONVERSION RATE

ALSO THE ONLY EXTRA TIPPING WE DO IS AT THE START OF OUR CRUISE TO THE ROOM STEWARD AND BUTTLER AND TELL EACH WHAT WE EXPECT IN OUR ROOM ABOUT $20.00 EACH (I HAVE NEVER BEAN LET DOWN $ WELL SPENT

STUR DAYTON,OHIO

NEXT CRUISE

CELEBRITY MERCURY JANUARY 20,2008 AUSTRILA/NEW ZELAND

CELEBRITY MERCURY MARCH 15T,2009 ROUND TRIP SAD DIEGO TO HAWAII

Archived