Just back from Carnival Triumph and RCL Freedom of Seas!

moesyk4

I'll review later, but I'll give a quick rundown of everything so you can ask any questions about the ship itself or anything else!

Precruise Stay: Baymont Inn and Suites

Carnival Triumph- Balcony room 8267 CD: Paul Santley

Half Moon Cay-no excursions

San Juan- walking tour on our own

St. Thomas- snuba through visnuba.com

Grand Turk- Aqua Boats through CCL

Middle Cruise stay: Radisson Downtown through Hotwire

Freedom of the Seas- Promenade Room 8327 CD: Becky Thompson

San Juan- ATV adventure through RCCL

St. Thomas- Honeymoon and Christmas Cove Sail through RCCL

St. Maarten- Orient Beach on our own

End of cruise stay: (here now!) Baymont Inn and Suites

Ask away!

I'll review later, but I'll give a quick rundown of everything so you can ask any questions about the ship itself or anything else!

Precruise Stay: Baymont Inn and Suites

Carnival Triumph- Balcony room 8267 CD: Paul Santley

Half Moon Cay-no excursions

San Juan- walking tour on our own

St. Thomas- snuba through visnuba.com

Grand Turk- Aqua Boats through CCL

Middle Cruise stay: Radisson Downtown through Hotwire

Freedom of the Seas- Promenade Room 8327 CD: Becky Thompson

San Juan- ATV adventure through RCCL

St. Thomas- Honeymoon and Christmas Cove Sail through RCCL

St. Maarten- Orient Beach on our own

End of cruise stay: (here now!) Baymont Inn and Suites

Ask away!

First off welcome back, and would you consider adopting me :)

Sounds like you had an awesome time. Can you tell me about the aqua boats? How many people does it accomodate. We are a family of 3, 2 adults one 10 year old. Will we fit? How much was the excursion and how long did you have on the boats.

Becky Thompson was our CD on the last cruise we took. I know she has a lot of admirers, I dont want to sound like I am bashing, but we couldnt stand her.

Becky Thompson was our CD on the last cruise we took. I know she has a lot of admirers, I dont want to sound like I am bashing, but we couldnt stand her.

Thats funny, I dont really care for her either, but so many people rave about her. I guess I was spoiled because the mariner was the newest ship for the longest time and had the best Cruise directors on it, I just love James Andrews and Ken Rush, and the current CD Dennis Sciortino (who trained all of them). She was just too high strung for me.

I have been on both the Triumph and the Freedom too, curious to see what you thought of the two ships. I personally think the freedom wins over the triumph, but its only my personal opinion.

Thats funny, I dont really care for her either, but so many people rave about her.

One night the illusionist made her "disappear" - we were hoping it was for real.

She was on the Voyager in 2005. We left from Cape Liberty so it was longer than 7 days. I just dont know what it was about her, and you are right, people love her.

Thats funny, I dont really care for her either, but so many people rave about her. I guess I was spoiled because the mariner was the newest ship for the longest time and had the best Cruise directors on it, I just love James Andrews and Ken Rush, and the current CD Dennis Sciortino (who trained all of them). She was just too high strung for me.

I have been on both the Triumph and the Freedom too, curious to see what you thought of the two ships. I personally think the freedom wins over the triumph, but its only my personal opinion.

I've noticed that you have kind of gone back and forth on both RCCL and Carnival. You must like both of them equally well? What Carnival ships would you say compare to the like the Mariner or the Brilliance? THere are so many Carnival ships that I am so confused:confused::confused::rolleyes:. Thanks

I've noticed that you have kind of gone back and forth on both RCCL and Carnival. You must like both of them equally well? What Carnival ships would you say compare to the like the Mariner or the Brilliance? THere are so many Carnival ships that I am so confused:confused::confused::rolleyes:. Thanks

I prefer RCCL, or I should say I am in love with the voyager class ships. I had cruised carnival 5 times when I went on the explorer for the first time and just loved it. The liberty cruise I have coming up is actually my first time back to carnival, but I also have the Carnival Freedom booked for next year too. I personally havent found a ship that compares to the voyager class ships, they have so much to offer and so much to do, I just love them.

That said, I do like both cruise lines for different reasons and believe everyone should at least try cruiselines to make their own decisions. I have had a great time on all my cruises. I would never talk anyone out of trying either line and then let them decide what they like best. Like I said I prefer RCCL but its for my own reasons, some of the things they offer that carnival doesnt (that and being a diamond member with $200 off my balconies really helps when booking lol)

Ill be interested to see what the original poster thought too since she just did B2B on the two ships.

As for becky, she really does have quite a few followers, they say she drinks a lot of coffee, I believe it cause caffeine is definitely running thru her veins.

I prefer RCCL, or I should say I am in love with the voyager class ships. I had cruised carnival 5 times when I went on the explorer for the first time and just loved it. The liberty cruise I have coming up is actually my first time back to carnival, but I also have the Carnival Freedom booked for next year too. I personally havent found a ship that compares to the voyager class ships, they have so much to offer and so much to do, I just love them.

That said, I do like both cruise lines for different reasons and believe everyone should at least try cruiselines to make their own decisions. I have had a great time on all my cruises. I would never talk anyone out of trying either line and then let them decide what they like best. Like I said I prefer RCCL but its for my own reasons, some of the things they offer that carnival doesnt (that and being a diamond member with $200 off my balconies really helps when booking lol)

Ill be interested to see what the original poster thought too since she just did B2B on the two ships.

As for becky, she really does have quite a few followers, they say she drinks a lot of coffee, I believe it cause caffeine is definitely running thru her veins.

How do you think the food compares on each line? I'm afraid we won't like the food on RCCL as well as we do on Carnival. We have only cruised on RC once, and weren't impressed with the food at all. That's one thing we love about Carnival, is the deli and grill. So at lunch if the buffet doesn't look appealing, we still have great choices. Help put my mind at ease. Thanks.

Ok sorry dont mean to take away from the OP, she is the one that just got off the two cruises.

But as long as you have asked lol. I can find good food on both cruise lines. Personally I think carnival has better dinner choices yes, but I can still find a meal that makes me happy on RCCL and as long as im not cooking or cleaning I am ok with it lol. As for lunches, I again may be a little spoiled with the voyager class ships since they have more choices than some of the smaller ships. I have also found I really enjoy eating in the dining room for lunch too, the menus are great and they do those 30 minute lunches to get you in and out, and last dont forget Johnny Rockets, I can always run up there and get a great burger.

I do like the deli's though on carnival your right. Its a great choice and good food.

Not sure if carnival is doing this (like I said its been a while since I have been on) but I also like the alternative dinner choices they offer every night. Especially if you are travelling with teenagers (or just kids lol) who can be picky eaters. (I even have an adult friend who is picky too lol). Just makes things easier at dinner.

If I had to choose I would say carnival has the better meals, but it is some other things rccl does that makes me prefer them. Its all personal, dont get me wrong. I love the pools being open 24 hours a day. Being able to order your dinner to your balcony if you want. The solarium area where kids arent allowed if you really dont want to be bothered...just stuff like that....again its all my own choices.

But as you can see it doesnt stop me from going back to carnival either, they all offer good things, and I can have fun on any cruise, I just love cruising, its my favorite way to vacation!

Kathy and I really enjoyed the food on "Explorer" 2 years ago. We were so busy we never got around to trying Johnny Rockets.

I'm confident that I will enjoy every thing on "Triumph". I'm planning on making friends with my waiter and assistant first thing at dinner on Saturday. I'm looking forward to little things like getting cappucino every night.

Ken take something of your wife's.......anything that you can part with.....crumble it up......or burn it and take the ashes with you......and set them free in the ocean..................that way when ever you cruise.....you and your wife can share sun-up and sun-set............God Bless You Bro!!!!!!

Thanks Janet for your post. I understand that cruising is a very personal preference and what one person would like, the other one might not. We usually cruise with my db and dsil, and I'm not sure that they would like Carnival, but for the difference in the price and it would mean I could go more:D, I would be willing to try Carnival at least once more. We were happy on our first one, afterall. I do like the solarium pool to be able to "get away" if I want to. Am I to assume that Carnival does not have an adults only area? Sorry to keep butting in :rolleyes:, but it's nice to find someone who has experienced both.

Ok, I will do my best to respond!

1. We enjoyed the Aqua Boats, they are kind of like a more stable jet ski. They are about 10 feet long and they only accomodate 2 people; I'm not sure if you are allowed to ride single, nobody in our group did but the leaders did so I know it's possible. You ride for about 10 minutes, stop and snorkel at a protected reef, ride for about 10 minutes more and stop at a beach resort for about 20 minutes, and then take about a 20 minute ride back. They were easy to drive and a lot of fun; our only complaint was that we were back to the ship about 25 minutes before the tour was scheduled to end, which for $99 a person is a lot to miss.

2. We did NOT care for Becky either, she was wonderfully sweet but a lot of her mannerisms were over the top and she was just way too loud all the time, plus we had just had Paul Santley on Carnival who was AMAZING! I seriously thought the emphasis on these boards about Cruise Directors was over the top until we went on these two cruises. Oh well, she got promoted and best of luck to her!

3. We too thought the Freedom was better than Triumph, but not as much as I originally thought we would. I have sailed both Carnival and RCCL twice now and I don't think there is enough difference between the lines to consistantly choose one over the other. RCCL is slightly ahead for its class and service in our opinions. We had likes and dislikes for both ships.

4. As far as the food is concerned, we thought FOS won hands down over the Carnival Triumph. My husband and I are not picky eaters, but we did not care for the breakfast or lunch buffet on the Triumph. They do, however, have very good alternative dining (not restaurants, but like their sandwich place, asian food, burgers, etc.) that provide at least something to eat. The dinner food is comparable on both ships. We tried Chops and loved it on the FOS! Our biggest complaint on RCCL, however, was the suprisingly like of alternative options outside of regular "meal" times. There was only one small midnight buffet with no picture lines before the meal and nighttime food was limited to the usual pizza and a few small premade snack sandwiches. There were also NO drink stations except in the Windjammer so if you wanted a drink outside of meal times you were completely out of luck! Not enough to put a damper on the cruise but it got annoying when you were thirsty at 9:30 pm and couldn't get anything but alcohol. Overall, we liked RCCL's food better.

5. They didn't say who would replace Paul, but he is just wonderful so I hope they can live up to him :) We did go to the past guest party, I can't remember the exact day but it was about partway through the week and was held in the main Rome Lounge. Free drinks and appetizers, of course, and Paul did a funny game with the audience as well as some music. We enjoyed it!

Overall, we really enjoyed the Triumph and the itinerary. There was nothing major to complain about and loved the balcony! The only bad thing that happened was the last day when the air conditioning went out for almost the whole day and it was raining outside :( but Carnival can't help that. We thought the Triumph was wonderful and you wil enjoy it!

I'm currious - why do people do this? I've never understood getting off one ship and going immediately to another. :confused: Why just not book a 10 or 14 night or a BTB? I'm not being critical - I would simply like to understand.

Thanks Janet for your post. I understand that cruising is a very personal preference and what one person would like' date=' the other one might not. We usually cruise with my db and dsil, and I'm not sure that they would like Carnival, but for the difference in the price and it would mean I could go more:D, I would be willing to try Carnival at least once more. We were happy on our first one, afterall. I do like the solarium pool to be able to "get away" if I want to. Am I to assume that Carnival does not have an adults only area? Sorry to keep butting in :rolleyes:, but it's nice to find someone who has experienced both.[/quote']

I would definitely tell you to try it, dont let what other people like or dislike influence, go for yourself and decide. As you can see from the OP review she had likes and dislikes for both cruise lines, as to be expected! I dont believe carnival has an area like the solarium area on RCCL, at least none of the ships I have been on so far have had them. Sometimes we find the solarium area too quiet. The band plays out by the main pool and many people go in there to read etc, but we go back and forth between both.

I am glad to hear from the OP, looks like you had a great time on both ships. I was on the triumph about 5 years ago so its been a while, but I was just on the Freedom last year and loved it. As for CD, when you've had a really good when you know it and it does really make a difference in my opinion. I am a big fan of the voyager class ships so I admit to being a little biased, but like I have said I can have a good time on any ship, its all what you make it.

Mek- We purposefully booked our cruises this way because I think both Carnival and RCCL have good and so so things about them, so you really get the best of both worlds. Also with a total of 7 sea days between the two ships, we were able to try different things on both ships and not have the same options over and over again. It is also exciting to get the experience of stepping on a new ship half way through your vacation!

We stayed in Miami a day inbetween and it was nice to catch up on sleep, do laundry, go on the internet, etc. before launching off again. It wasn't a hassle at all to pack up, disembark, or embark, but that's just me. To each his own, some people would hate that!

Mek- We purposefully booked our cruises this way because I think both Carnival and RCCL have good and so so things about them, so you really get the best of both worlds. Also with a total of 7 sea days between the two ships, we were able to try different things on both ships and not have the same options over and over again. It is also exciting to get the experience of stepping on a new ship half way through your vacation!

We stayed in Miami a day inbetween and it was nice to catch up on sleep, do laundry, go on the internet, etc. before launching off again. It wasn't a hassle at all to pack up, disembark, or embark, but that's just me. To each his own, some people would hate that!

Archived