No cabins left/ up buys

werchy

I've been watching cabin availability on the HAL website, along with other travel sites. As of last Friday they were still selling most categories of cabins on our sailing. Now, all the websites, including HAL say that there are NO cabins left for sale in any category. :confused: They sold them ALL in less than 2 days???:confused:

I tried to do an "up buy" from our SZ to a SC last Thursday, but our TA said that HAL would only do it for 600.00 more per person. I didn't think we would eat 1200.00 worth of food from the Neptune Lounge to justify that additional amount. But, now the websites say that there are NO rooms left.

Any ideas if upgrades or up buys would still be available closer to sail date? I guess I am wondering our odds of getting an SC when it shows there are no cabins left.

Thanks!

melissa

If your cruise is soon, it is possible it really is sold out. Most HAL ships have been sailing full. If your cruise is a way off, it is possible cabins may drop back in as available. It might have to do with TA's who had a block on rooms but didn't sell them by a certain date or other logistics of that sort.

Keep checking and good luck.

Used to be that there were many last-minute deals on unsold cabins. Since the tightening-up post-9/11, cruise lines have to submit passenger manifests to the correct agencies much earlier than they used to. Thus, no last-minute bookings.

Our Zuiderdam sailing did the same thing on selling out "overnight" as yours is doing, about 5-6 weeks ahead of sail date. And no cabins have come back available.

Cruise isn't until October 27 - Oosterdam. I just thought it odd how one day there were lots of cabins left and 2 days later... nothing. I was really hoping for a reduced upbuy from the SZ to SC category. I'll keep my fingers crossed.

Thanks everyone.

Melissa

Just guessing here.

It showed all categories available. However, it's possible that there were only a handful of cabins unsold. They may have been keeping all categories available to facilitate the guarantees.

Let's say you have a suite available. If someone wants to purchase a suite then they pay full fare and the person who books the guarantee stays at that category. On the other hand if a person wants to book either an inside or outside then they sell the cabin at that rate (person would not pay for a suite) and someone gets an upgrade.

Just a guess, and probably an incorrect one at that.

I have noticed the HAL site do this a couple of times for my November 10 cruise. Just yesterday, the site showed that there were no cabins available, and today, the same categories that were available on Saturday are available again today.

I noticed it the first time shortly after final payment was due. I think what they do is simply shut out the booking option while they are updating the available categories/cabins, then when they have it all sorted out, the remaining available categories/cabins go back up as available to be booked.

Just a thought...

Archived