Had to cancel cruise

Angelica1973

My hubby and I are supposed to be on the Spirit right now in Alaska. Had to cancel last Tues. (the day before our cruise). Hubby had severe stomache pain, was admitted to hospital on Wed. and had his gallbladder removed on Thursday....Will book again for next Sept. 2008 once i get my refund (did have insurance).

So sorry you had to cancel your cruise. We had to do the same in Aug. 2004. Cruise had been booked for over a year and just days before we were to leave, DH shattered his nose (got hit by a baseball) and needed to have surgery. Was in the hospital the day we were to leave. We also had insurance and received all of our money back (quickly, too). It was a huge disappointment, though.

On the brighter side, we did rebook and had a fabulous time! It was so worth the wait when we finally got to go. You will appreciate it that much more. Glad to hear your DH is on the mend and I agree with the poster, better to have happened at home than on the ship:eek:

I am so sorry to hear that your DH became ill and had to have surgery, but happy for you and him that he is on the mend.

I can only imagine how disappointed you must be to have missed your cruise but as someone else said, better before than during. And you are so right about the insurance, it is quite honestly the ONLY thing to do. You just never know what can happen. I know that "insurance question" has been discussed to death but if this does not put a nail in the coffin of that topic, I do not know what will.

I hope you have a fabulous cruise the next time and your DH will be well once again.

Angelica,

I wish a rapid recovery for your husband.

Pegs,

Insurance has been discussed to death, but obviously people just don't get it. Passengers who choose not to get insurance are self-insuring. It is a perfectly acceptable strategy for people who can afford to accept the loss. Look at it this way: the insurance company is selling the insurance to make money. So, "on average" you will come out ahead not buying insurance. Of course, no one is "on average." Either you come out ahead or you lose a lot. If you can afford the loss, it is a perfectly reasonable financial strategy not to purchase insurance.

Many big companies self-insure. It is "on average" cheaper for them to risk losses by fire, theft and liability than to pay a rate of insurance which will also reward the insurance company. They can be unlucky and lose big. But it still makes financial sense for them if they can afford losses.

I am one of those who chose not to take insurance (and I do not have deep pockets by any means). Over the years I have traveled to nearly 100 countries and taken some 15 or so cruises, and never had a significant loss. Over the same period I would have paid in premiums many times the cost of cancelling any one of the trips. Now I am getting "old" and I have decided to take out an annual evacuation policy, because the cost of an evacuation can be a significant five figure price. However, I will still not take out trip cancellation insurance. The premium, at my age, would not be negligible, and with regard to the cost of cancellation, well, I was going to take the trip, so obviously I can afford the cost, as sad as missing the trip might be.

All this makes economic sense. There is no coffin to nail, except maybe a lack of understanding of financial alternatives.

Bill

Archived