Duty Free Limits for Alcohol

suziehmkr

Depends where you buy it.

We just got back from Miracle cruise from NY to St Thomas. You are allowed 5 liters per person if bought in St Thomas and one of the liter is made there, such as Cruzan rum. My wife and I were allowed 10 liter and bought 10 liter in St Thomas store that boxed them up very well and then delivered them to the ship. The cabin steward delivers them to your room the last night of the cruise. We also bought 6 liters on the ship. Since that put us over our limit I went to the designated lounge on the morning of disembarking and declared our 16 bottles to the Customs agent. For the extra 6 bottles we were charged $3.00 each. I was instructed to stop on the way out at the cashier in the port and pay the $18.00. The cashier took my money and my customs form and I got a receipt. As everyone was handing their customs form to the agent as they left the luggage area I just showed him my receipt. On another cruise I went to declare 2 liters over our limit and that Customs agent said that's ok, initialed the form, and said I did not need to pay any fees.

Bring back as much as you want to carry, but always declare everything you have. I have never paid on any of our cruises and have always been over the limit, but always declared. Custom agent will just look at your customs paper work and stamp it all is okay.

Archived