My itinerary--'gulp'

LakeErieLady

Here goes...

First---- 2nd cruise, 1st trip to Hawaii we're 58- DH and myself

Second- this is the 11 day itinerary on POA Feb.2 to Feb. 13, 2008

Okay, we leave Erie, PA Fri. 7:30 am, get to Honolulu at 5 pm.

get car, go to hotel ( Diamond Head side), eat dinner- Lulu's, etc., go to bed

Sat. probably wake up early- that's okay, eat breakfast, go to Hanauma Bay for snorkeling, go out Rt. 72 to blow hole,

lighthouse, to Kailua, lunch somewhere, back to Pali lookout, get luggage at hotel, check in to ship before 4, sign up for EZ FLY Sun. Feb 3- early am-go to Pearl Harbor, maybe swap meet, lunch, Mission houses, other downtown, take car back, get back to ship before 4 pm for lifeboat drill and sail away at 6 pm Mon. Feb. 4- Hilo- arrive 8 am, get car, go to VNP, use "Alternative-Hawaii" drive guide, lunch somewhere, take car back, be on ship before 6 pm sail away Tues. Feb. 5- Lahaina- tender port- other than Pacific Whale Foundation - eco-adventure- whale watch -- hang around Lahaina area, don't get car, get lunch somewhere interesting Wed. Feb. 6- "R&R" sea day- sailing by other islands Thurs. Feb. 7- Kona, tender port, get car, follow Drive Guide North route to historic sites, back for tender to ship- sail away at 6 pm Fri. Feb. 8 & 9 - an overnight at Kahului, Maui - 1st day, get car, go to Haleakala - following drive guide, return to ship or not depending on time, go to Old Lahaina Luau - be there by 4:30, return to ship for overnight Sat. 2nd day- leave very early go on Road to Hana, again following drive guide, eat lunch that we got ahead of time,return car and be on ship before 9:30 sail away Sun. Feb. 10 - 2nd "R & R" day- sea day- sail past islands Mon. Feb. 11 & 12 - an overnight on Kauai- get car drive to Waimea Canyon and south route back- spouting horn, etc., again using drive guides,lunch somewhere back to ship Tues. the 12th- early- go North to Na Pali using drive guide, lunch somewhere, car back and back to ship by 6 pm sail away Wed. cruise over icon9.gif having used EZ FLY, don't have luggage to worry about, but whole day today-- get car, go to Iolani Palace, lunch somewhere, then to North Shore, back to Duke's for supper before going to airport by 8 pm for 10 pm flight

Buying : the Hawaii Tri-Parks pass- for the National Parks, reservations at Old Lahaina Luau, reservations at Lulu's, and Duke's, Iolani Palace tour, and all the rental cars. Decided that the Alternative-Hawaii driving guides went to many of the places I wanted to go to anyway, why not just print them out and not have to figure out the routes myself- I've deleted several places that didn't interest me and added a few that did- so talk to me in a few months and we'll see how it all turns out. There obviously will be some shopping in there, too. I haven't mentioned anything about specialty restaurants or other ship stuff, I'll play it by ear.

Along with the much appreciated comments from Beachchick!

We're doing the 11 day Pride of Aloha Cruise out of Honolulu, and following is what we're thinking of doing. Please keep in mind that we are supremely aware that it is impossible to see everything in our limited time frame and that our philosophy is to see some good stuff, enjoy it, and have no regrets about what we might have missed.

Aloha. This itinerary sounds so good. If we decided to do another cruise (which we probably won't because we prefer land trips), it would be this one. More time in the islands is always, always a good thing. And you'll cruise coastlines that most people (including us, so far) never see.

Friday - arrive Honolulu Airport, shuttle to Waikiki Marriott, rest of day overcoming jet lag and walking to the Honolulu Zoo, dinner, a little shopping.

Sounds good. Lounging by the pool and on the beach is a good plan too. Walking around is a must (for us) after long flights. I feel as if I've been on my, well, butt so long that I've just got to stretch things. Swimming is actually my prefered post-plane activity, and I highly recommend it (beach or pool or both) for your first day.

Saturday - Waikiki Historic Trail, continue overcoming jet lag, board ship Saturday afternoon, afternoon in Chinatown to buy fresh flowers and a little vase (thanks to beachchick for advice). Overnight on ship, still in Honolulu,

A good first full day. Activities to keep you moving, but not so much as to be overwhelming. You might want to wander through Chinatown (daytime only) and pick up a floral arrangement and/or gorgeous leis. It's within reasonable walking distance of the port.

Sunday - ship departs at 6PM, so I presume we have to be on board at 5PM.

Maybe the Bishop Museum and Hawaii Maritime Center.

The Bishop Museum is terrific, IMO. I highly recommend a tour of the Iolani Palace. It's fantastic. I'd do that over the Maritime Center. (Keep in mind all of this is our preferences; YMMV).

Monday - arrive Lahaina (Maui) 8 am. No rental car - just walk, very leisurely, through Lahaina. Ship departs 6PM

We love Lahaina. Wandering Front St. is a great thing to do. There are also some often-overlooked historical sites. However, you might want to consider heading up to Ka'anapali beach on the shuttle first for a few hours. I honestly think you will find that Lahaina doesn't need a whole day for wandering (this from a Lahaina lover). The shuttle stops at Wharf Cinema Center, which is across Front St. from the banyon tree courtyard, courthouse, and tender pier area. It's $1 each way and will stop at Lahaina Cannery Mall (if you want indoor shopping) and Whaler's Village (good shopping/eating/drinking) on Ka'anapali beach. You can walk out through Whaler's to the beachwalk and head either direction to enjoy Ka'anapali beach proper.

Tuesday - Kona (Big Island) - arrive 7 am. No rental car, just walk and drink Kona coffee!

No problem there. Kona is a fun wandering town too. If you want to do Kona coffee tasting though, you'll really need to rent a car and tour the farms on your own. There are no Kona coffee farms actually in Kona or in any reasonable walking distance.

Wednesday - at sea

Thursday - Hilo (Big Island) - arrive 8AM. Rent car. Panaewa Rainforest Zoo and Crater rim Drive at Kilauea. Depart 6PM

Another good day.

Friday - Kahului (Maui) - Arrive 8AM. Rent Car. Road to Hana. Ship stays overnight here.

Good that you've not tried to plan multiple activities on the same day you do the road to Hana. It's definitely a full day. Try to get on the road as soon as you can. There are places in Paia (on the way) to pick up picnic lunch supplies.

Saturday - Still at Kahului. Leisurely drive of South Shore beaches and Maui Ocean Center. Ship departs 9:30PM

You mean the south-west beaches? If so, good choice. Do stop and relax at a beach (or two or three).

Sunday - at sea

Monday - Nawiliwili (Kauai) - arrive 8AM - Rent car. Waimea Canyon and Kokee State Park. Ship stay overnight here.

This is a nice day. It's beautiful up in the canyon.

Tuesday - Road to Hanalei. Ship departs 5 PM.

As you don't depart until 5 pm, you'll be fine with this. If you were departing at the usual NCLA 2 pm for Na Pali coast cruising, it would be really pushing it.

Wednesday - Honolulu. Get off ship and do NCL's excursion to Pearl harbor, which also delivers us to Airport, and we don't have to handle our bags.

I think this is a smart option for cruisers who have a late enough flight.

What do you think?

I think you'll have a great time. Enjoy.

lel

"Some view their body as a temple; I view mine as an amusement park."

You won't believe the time I spent, putting lines between the days indenting paragraphs so it would look like one big blog, but ... that's what it ended up like- sorry -

Did a little cosmetic work to your original post. Now easier to read.:)

Here goes...

First---- 2nd cruise, 1st trip to Hawaii we're 58- DH and myself

Second- this is the 11 day itinerary on POA Feb.2 to Feb. 13, 2008.

Okay, we leave Erie, PA Fri. 7:30 am, get to Honolulu at 5 pm.

get car, go to hotel ( Diamond Head side), eat dinner- Lulu's, etc., go to bed.

Sat. probably wake up early- that's okay, eat breakfast, go to Hanauma Bay for snorkeling, go out Rt. 72 to blow hole, lighthouse, to Kailua, lunch somewhere, back to Pali lookout, get luggage at hotel, check in to ship before 4, sign up for EZ FLY.

Sun. Feb 3- early am-go to Pearl Harbor, maybe swap meet, lunch, Mission houses, other downtown, take car back, get back to ship before 4 pm for lifeboat drill and sail away at 6 pm.

Mon. Feb. 4- Hilo- arrive 8 am, get car, go to VNP, use "Alternative-Hawaii" drive guide, lunch somewhere, take car back, be on ship before 6 pm sail away.

Tues. Feb. 5- Lahaina- tender port- other than Pacific Whale Foundation - eco-adventure- whale watch -- hang around Lahaina area, don't get car, get lunch somewhere interesting.

Wed. Feb. 6- "R&R" sea day- sailing by other islands.

Thurs. Feb. 7- Kona, tender port, get car, follow Drive Guide North route to historic sites, back for tender to ship- sail away at 6 pm.

Fri. Feb. 8 & 9 - an overnight at Kahului, Maui - 1st day, get car, go to Haleakala - following drive guide, return to ship or not depending on time, go to Old Lahaina Luau - be there by 4:30, return to ship for overnight

Sat. 2nd day- leave very early go on Road to Hana, again following drive guide, eat lunch that we got ahead of time,return car and be on ship before 9:30 sail away.

Sun. Feb. 10 - 2nd "R & R" day- sea day- sail past islands.

Mon. Feb. 11 & 12 - an overnight on Kauai- get car drive to Waimea Canyon and south route back- spouting horn, etc., again using drive guides,lunch somewhere back to ship..

Tues. the 12th- early- go North to Na Pali using drive guide, lunch somewhere, car back and back to ship by 6 pm sail away Wed. cruise over.

Having used EZ FLY, don't have luggage to worry about, but whole day today-- get car, go to Iolani Palace, lunch somewhere, then to North Shore, back to Duke's for supper before going to airport by 8 pm for 10 pm flight.

Buying : the Hawaii Tri-Parks pass- for the National Parks, reservations at Old Lahaina Luau, reservations at Lulu's, and Duke's, Iolani Palace tour, and all the rental cars. Decided that the Alternative-Hawaii driving guides went to many of the places I wanted to go to anyway, why not just print them out and not have to figure out the routes myself- I've deleted several places that didn't interest me and added a few that did- so talk to me in a few months and we'll see how it all turns out. There obviously will be some shopping in there, too. I haven't mentioned anything about specialty restaurants or other ship stuff, I'll play it by ear

• Administrators

Lake Erie Lady, I think your itinerary looks really good. :) It's a lot of things we did but you are on a sailing with some sea days for rest and recovery -- I love that itinerary. One thought I did have -- I'm with you on the "lunch somewhere's" except for one -- your VNP day. I would stop on your way to VNP (either on the four lane or in the town of Volcano) at a grocery store or deli and get stuff for a "picnic" (don't forget the ice) and eat it during your exploration of VNP. If you happen to be on Chain of Craters Road when you get hungry, there is a wonderful picnic table area overlooking the old lava flows and ocean. The only option for eating in VNP is Volcano House -- you'll spend a good bit of time dining there; outside VNP is the nearby town of Volcano, but you'd have to leave the park to get something there, then return.

I think you will be well-satisfied with relying on alternative hawaii's Drive Guides -- we thought they were fabulous and completely accurate in their mileages, travel times, signs to look for, etc. We also "tweaked" them for what we wanted to see, or didn't.

I expect you will have a marvelous cruise! :)

Actually, I have several places in mind-- before we get into the park or on to the road to Hana or North Shore Oahu or Na Pali coast- Haleiwa-- written down- I just haven't wanted to put them in as set in stone. I've enjoyed Beachchick and your comments. I was hoping one of you would say I haven't overdone it. But I think gleaning over the last 3 plus months has been so very helpful. You should have seen my originally few takes:eek: I've definitely winnowed things down!!

I agree as to the picnic in VNP. There is a Safeway with a deli in the Prince Kunio Shopping Center we stopped there and enjoyed a great sandwhich. It was quick & easy! Bring one of those foldable insulated bags to put your food buys in.

Bye the way let us know if you see the NeNe goose (the State bird) close to the visitors center. We saw a mom and her little ones.

Also (first night suggestion) please stay up as late (at least until 9pm)as you can, or you will be up at 3am and not able to get back to sleep. Repeat this suggestion for the second night also.

Enjoy the aloha of the islands,

Winnie

Archived