Do you ever feel you have to justify your cruising addiction

Mikel1733

Three weeks until we sale on cruise #13 and I haven't told my family we are leaving. I know they will roll their eyes and figure the money could be more well spent by subsidizing family members who aren't as fortunate. Anyone else feel they have to justify their cruise addiction.

DH keeps threating to do "intervention" on me. But he doesn't ..... he likes those cruises too.

Any way you look at it cruising is a great value. Enjoy it, guiltfree. We all do little things for others all the time. Sometimes we have to do stuff for our own mental sanity.

Just had a relative over the weekend tell me "it must be nice to be rich" when she found out we had two more cruises booked. This came from someone way more well-off than we are but was said as a snide remark -not just joking. I am really considering not telling the family any more. They all now seem to think we should be a source of funds when they need it, because, after all, we can afford to cruise so much.

Never mind that I scrimp and save all year, cut out a lot of extras like eating out, extra clothes shopping, etc, just so we can do those cruises.

I feel zero guilt, its our money we'll spend it as we see fit and we worked a number of years to get in a financial position to vacation like we do. I cant imagine family feeling as if they need to be subsidized, get an education or learn a trade and get a job is how I feel, thats how we did it. Unless youve got a physical disability preventing it, the only person standing in the way of success is yourself.

I'm in the same group. Maybe we should get tee-shirts made up. Everytime I book a cruise, I get responses like "You're going again?", or better yet "How come you're going?", next up "Must be nice to have your money." Need I go on?

Yes, my cruising is a very healthy addicition. I have taken 2 of my sisters on at least 2 cruises, all expenses paid by me. I've taken 1 niece and 1 nephew on a cruise for their 21st Birthdays, all expenses paid by me. 1 nephew (the spoiled Godson) on 2 cruises, all expenses paid by me. It appears some people have a problem with it.

Oh well, first of all, yes, it is nice to have "MY" money. Notice the emphasis on "MY?" If it's mine, I'll do what I want with it. :-)

How come I'm going?.. First repsonse, of course to get even is, "Because I can."

I look at it this way, I treat my family and extended family well, I am single so to speak with no children and enjoy sharing something I love so much like cruising with my family.

When I hear the comments, I just say....Yes, I'm going. When I ask them if they are going...and the response is no, I smile and respond to them with................."S_cks to be you. :-)

Enjoy your addiction, it's a healthy one and besides, if you die from this addiction, you'll die with a smile on your faces.

Happy Cruising :-)

All I can say is at least MY addiction allows others to benefit from it!!

My ex probably spent just as much money on cigarettes as I did on cruises each year. the only problem with his spending habits was that he was KILLING SOMEONE and I was allowing the entire family to have a great time as a family.

I personally get tired of everyone in my family rolling their eyes every time I bring up a cruise ship, yet they can go on and on about football scores, how their wonderful son is starting college this year, or how much they hate their job ad nauseum and expect me to nod politely when they talk about subjects that BORE ME. Why is it that they can talk about the stupid drivel in their lives but I can't talk about the stupid drivel in mine?? :mad:

Yes, we have to justify our "addiction" to alot of people. My son-in-law gets really upset when we tell them we are going on another cruise, because he feels that we are spending our daughter and grandchildren's inheritance. We tell him that's about right, we believe that everyone (including him) should work for the thigs they want, and not rely on others. WE DID!!

This from a man that makes $400k a year and still can't afford a house big enough for his family.

Just had a relative over the weekend tell me "it must be nice to be rich" when she found out we had two more cruises booked. This came from someone way more well-off than we are but was said as a snide remark -not just joking. I am really considering not telling the family any more. They all now seem to think we should be a source of funds when they need it, because, after all, we can afford to cruise so much.

Never mind that I scrimp and save all year, cut out a lot of extras like eating out, extra clothes shopping, etc, just so we can do those cruises.

I know we don't eat out. We budget our money this is OUR time and expecially my mother... she sees no need for it. We have only told 1 person in both of our families about the next one.

Yes, we have to justify our "addiction" to alot of people.

You don't have to. You choose to. ;)

My son-in-law gets really upset when we tell them we are going on another cruise, because he feels that we are spending our daughter and grandchildren's inheritance

The NERVE of that guy... :eek: I hope you told him where to go!

It's your money. People should be grateful for any scrap of inheritance they might get.

If they're having problems affording a house, he's probably not actually knocking back $400k per year.

Yes, we have to justify our "addiction" to alot of people. My son-in-law gets really upset when we tell them we are going on another cruise, because he feels that we are spending our daughter and grandchildren's inheritance.

Response: "So, that's why you married our daughter?" :mad:

Whenever my parents would go on a trip, I'd say "This is coming out of my inheritance, isn't it?" and my mother would say, "You bet!" The difference is that we both knew it was a joke.

Three weeks until we sale on cruise #13 and I haven't told my family we are leaving. I know they will roll their eyes and figure the money could be more well spent by subsidizing family members who aren't as fortunate.

Anyone else feel they have to justify their cruise addiction.

Like said family members would help you out :rolleyes:

No, you do not have to justify anything you do, you are an adult and can do what you want.

Have a wonderful cruise, and do not think twice about it except that you will have fun.

My son-in-law gets really upset when we tell them we are going on another cruise, because he feels that we are spending our daughter and grandchildren's inheritance

It's your money. People should be grateful for any scrap of inheritance they might get.

If they're having problems affording a house, he's probably not actually knocking back $400k per year.

FYI, My DH and I are not rich by any means, and there is no inheritance for anyone but the two of us. Should we die together, then yes then our children will all share in said inheritance. BUT, until that time I will spend my money any way I want, on whatever I want. I did not work hard all those years to do nothing and then die so my children could have it. If my SIL ever said that to me, number one I would probably smack him, then let him know just how I REALLY fell about him.

Disclaimer: My SIL Steve in St Louis, if you are reading this, you know I am not talking about you ;) As far as the other Steve goes, you know this is you :rolleyes:

This will be my 3rd cruise and the first one I've felt I had to justify. The first one was a birthday gift and the second one was my honeymoon (although some people seemed to think we should have skipped a honeymoon because it was sooo expensive. Trust me, 5 day on the Fantasy was CHEAP!). However, our third cruise that we are taking in March is a "just because" cruise, and I've been getting the questions and comments a lot. :mad: The people who say those things should walk a mile in my shoes...I need a vacation! I dont' want to sound like a whinner, I know people have it worse than I do...but I am super stressed and need to unwind. Just let me go in peace! Who cares where I want to go and how much of my OWN money I spend.

We take a few vacations a year - not just cruises but also some all-inclusives or other resort-type trip. We get comments from "friends" and neighbors and some of our not-so-favorite relatives (like my MIL) all the time like, "Where are you going NOW????" or "When I die, I want to come back as one of your children - they've traveled everywhere" or "We don't get to travel like SOME PEOPLE" as they roll their eyes and glance at me.

I know it shouldn't, but it does bother me a bit. Our good friends, of course, don't make us feel uncomfortable - that's not what friends do. What people don't realize is how we get to travel so much - although I do try to tell them. We are fortunate enough to be able to vacation and live very comfortably, but I don't believe in paying more than I have to. First of all, I book everything about a year in advance, sometimes more. I've become quite good at knowing what airfare is reasonable and scour the internet looking for my price. I also travel for work (used to travel a lot more) and have been able to use frequent flyer miles, Marriott Rewards, etc. My husband has been fortunate enough to win a free cruise from work and earn 2 trips to Hawaii in the past 8 years. I've had business trips to Bermuda, Las Vegas and Palm Springs that I've been able to take hubby and the kids on. I also charge everything I can on my American Express (paying it in full every month) because I get Membership Reward Points I can convert into tons of travel rewards. Believe it or not, our 2 most expensive vacations (Disney cruise and Atlantis) were our least favorites. We still enjoyed them, but not as much as others.

We love to travel because we love to spend time together. We are a very busy, active family and both my husband and I work full time. Our family vacations are precious times for us filled with great family memories.

I wish people didn't feel the need to make others feel uncomfortable for vacationing regularly. We don't own a second home, we don't own a boat, we don't belong to the country club, we don't belong to the private pool club... this is what we choose to do.

This will be my 3rd cruise and the first one I've felt I had to justify. The first one was a birthday gift and the second one was my honeymoon (although some people seemed to think we should have skipped a honeymoon because it was sooo expensive. Trust me, 5 day on the Fantasy was CHEAP!). However, our third cruise that we are taking in March is a "just because" cruise, and I've been getting the questions and comments a lot. :mad: The people who say those things should walk a mile in my shoes...I need a vacation! Just let me go in peace! Who cares where I want to go and how much of my OWN money I spend.

Hey Carm :D and "just because" you are free from the toe and what a great way to bring home that "extra" souvenir(s) from your cruise ;) BTW, someone posted a thread on just that, so you just never know :)

Hey Carm :D and "just because" you are free from the toe and what a great way to bring home that "extra" souvenir(s) from your cruise ;) BTW, someone posted a thread on just that, so you just never know :)

Hey Pegs :D And yes, I think I do deserve this cruise as a reward for finding a new job! Woohoo!

Ps....I saw that souvenir thread....;) :rolleyes:

Why is it that they can talk about the stupid drivel in their lives but I can't talk about the stupid drivel in mine?? :mad:

Blasphemy, taling about a cruise is not drivel!!

And personally I have stopped telling people about it. Just like when I had to get a new truck, oh "must be nice to have your money" whatever, they didn't know the reason I had to get it so screw em. They're everywhere.

The world is full of people like this. My sister in law had nerve to ask my inlaws for her 1/4 of the inheritance now. My father in law responded, 1/4 of nothing is exactly nothing! Always asking for handouts.

Blasphemy, taling about a cruise is not drivel!!

And personally I have stopped telling people about it. Just like when I had to get a new truck, oh "must be nice to have your money" whatever, they didn't know the reason I had to get it so screw em. They're everywhere.

People are so sick of my talk about our European Cruise, they probably run in the opposite direction when they see me LOL If I am this excited now, what on earth am I am going to be like when we sail next September:confused:

I always have to justify it too and I am not a wealthy person. What I do (and what I tell people) is I save my tax refund check specifically for my cruises. :)

Thats what I do! They sometimes make me feel like I am doing something illegal or immoral, so I give them the "tax refund" line, hee he:p

Archived