San Diego Hc Vans

JNCRUISEBUMS

There are none at the airport on a regular basis- you have to request one. The shuttle company is called Cloud9 and you have to request an accessible vehicle; they come equiped with a wheelchair lift. Where do you want to go to from the airport. If you are going to a hotel/motel some, but not all, have accessible vans; but, again, you must request one ahead of time. Cloud9 has a website; you might want to take a look at it. :)

There are none at the airport on a regular basis- you have to request one. The shuttle company is called Cloud9 and you have to request an accessible vehicle; they come equiped with a wheelchair lift. Where do you want to go to from the airport. If you are going to a hotel/motel some, but not all, have accessible vans; but, again, you must request one ahead of time. Cloud9 has a website; you might want to take a look at it. :)

Thank you!

Cloud 9 is your best bet. There are no wheelchair accessible cabs in San Diego (sad to say). While you do need reservations, there is no additional charge for their accessible van.

http://www.cloud9shuttle.com/

They were just recently bought out by SuperShuttle, but my understanding is that they are going to keep the Cloud 9 name (at least for now).

Thank you for your help! I did contact Cloud 9 and they were very reasonable! Then I called the hotel we are staying at and they said the van would pick us up and the scooter would be no problem....What a deal! Anyone know about San Juan? That's our next stop in November for a cruise.... Again! A big thank you! Nancie

First, on this board, use the Search feature and spell in San Juan to see what previous posters have said. Then go to the San Juan, PR board under Ports of Call and see what you find there. My recollection of Old San Juan which is where the cruise ships dock is that it is not scooter friendly - narrow streets, narrow side walks and quite hilly. The old part of the city which is the most interesting historically is best seen from a cab or other tour vehicle:) :) :) :)

The Residence Inn, downtown San Diego. They said they could lift the scooter in the back and it wouldn't be a problem. I did tell them it weighed 125 pounds. We'll see...I'll post when we get back! Nancie This is our virgin experience with a scooter...hope all goes well!

Nancie, We've traveled with a Golden Companion II - also about 125 lbs., but does fold down or come apart. We take transfers from the ship and put it in the luggage compartment of the bus -- also for tours. Husband helps driver (tipped well) and they generally have no qualms. Only once did the bus director have a fit -- (too heavy for her drivers to lift). Yes, they will go in the back of vans - take the key out as I had a situation where it bounced and the key got stuck in it and broke and the van driver had some complaints that the scooter marked up his van!!. Really fun trying to have a key made in St. Lucia - they used car batteries for power!!! And always carry the extra key with you - I learned from that experience. My extra key was in the safe back at the ship, but if you have no power (turn of the key), it's a long way back and since you have to go through security to get back on the ship -- it could be a long wait. As my husband was trying to resolve the problem (have a new key made), the poor, but lovely people of St. Lucia were coming up to me and saying, "I have power madam, I can push you back to the ship" - about 1/2 mile. I had to get Celebrity security to stop them from harrassing me. Enjoy your Hawaii trip - we did the Summit R/T Hawaii in March '05 - super! I hope you booked The Polynesian Center - they will come and pick you up. Also the Aloha Center (where the ship docks in Honolulu) is great shoppng with the scooter. V

Nancie, We've traveled with a Golden Companion II - also about 125 lbs., but does fold down or come apart. We take transfers from the ship and put it in the luggage compartment of the bus -- also for tours. Husband helps driver (tipped well) and they generally have no qualms. Only once did the bus director have a fit -- (too heavy for her drivers to lift). Yes, they will go in the back of vans - take the key out as I had a situation where it bounced and the key got stuck in it and broke and the van driver had some complaints that the scooter marked up his van!!. Really fun trying to have a key made in St. Lucia - they used car batteries for power!!! And always carry the extra key with you - I learned from that experience. My extra key was in the safe back at the ship, but if you have no power (turn of the key), it's a long way back and since you have to go through security to get back on the ship -- it could be a long wait. As my husband was trying to resolve the problem (have a new key made), the poor, but lovely people of St. Lucia were coming up to me and saying, "I have power madam, I can push you back to the ship" - about 1/2 mile. I had to get Celebrity security to stop them from harrassing me. Enjoy your Hawaii trip - we did the Summit R/T Hawaii in March '05 - super! I hope you booked The Polynesian Center - they will come and pick you up. Also the Aloha Center (where the ship docks in Honolulu) is great shoppng with the scooter. V

WOW! Great info! Mine does come apart too! I really hadn't planned on takingit off the ship except in Maui where we are staying the night at the Hyatt...We are going to do the Southern Caribbean islands in November. Stl Lucia, Stl Thomas, Barbados, St. Kitts, Tortola, Grenada, Bonaire and I really hadn't planned on taking it off the ship. What is your opionion? We fly into San Juan and we are spending 2 nights at the Marriot Stellaris. I want to see Old San Juan, but thought we could take a tour and I would take my walker for that. Tell me any of your ideas! I'm all ears! Thanks so much!

Nancie

Old San Juan is very unfriendly for scooters - narrow streets, narrow sidewalks, lots of traffic and it is hilly also. You will do much better taking a cab or a tour of the old city. As far as Caribbean islands, taking the scooter off the ship is not a good idea - very few, if any, cored curbs. We, who use a scooter all the time on the ship for the independence it provides of not having to be pushed by someone; for going ashore we always take a fold up wheelchair because it will fit in the trunk of any taxi. And some gangways are comprised of a series of steps which are impossible with a scooter unless you can get crew members to carry it up and down for you. Even though Hawaii is ADA compliant, we have found few vehicles equipped with lifts for scooters or bigger. If you are staying at the Hyatt and plan to take your scooter, tell them ahead of time you need an accessible van that will take your scooter:)

Keep in mind that if you cannot stand and walk up and down 4-5 steps, going in a regular bus or van without a lift may not be an option for you, regardless of how they would plan to stow or pick up your chair. It does us no good to have them willing to pick up the chair when 1) my mother cannot transfer without a lift and 2) she cannot stand or walk at all. We would require van or bus with a wheelchair lift or van with a ramp in such circumstances. When you ask about wheelchair accessible transportation, this is what this term should mean.

Archived