Cabo, America's Cup Racing excursion?

lovinsea

Hi, we are looking for feedback on this excursion any info you can give

good or bad would be appreciated. Since our cruise is in Cabo for a short

time, it would mean that would be the only excursion we took take.

We are leaving in about 4 weeks (10/13.

Thanks....

I'm interested in this NCL tour too, they also do a shorter 3 hour one in PV as well as the 5 hour one in Cabo. We are sailing on the Star on 7th October and I 'd love some more info on this tour. Maybe Solita can help us?!! Pleeease!!:p

I actually have not done this one. I was invited to go several times but just haven't seemed to get the time off. But I have several friends that have done it! So here is what they have said...they meet you on the pier and you walk over to the Dolphin facility for your orientation. Then their large zodiac takes you across the marina to get on the yachets. You are assigned a task on the boat along with a crew member. Or...you can choose to be a bystander and just watch. You need to wear slip resistant shoes, no slaps. Take a hat and sunscreen! They serve beverages on the way back. If there are enough people, then both boats go out and have a "race" in the bay. I hope this helps and I also hope that I can actually get out and do it soon.

Thanks Solita for the information. It's so hard to decide what to do. I'm torn between lounging on the beaches all day, shopping and drinking tequila! It's such a long way from home in the UK that it would be nice to do something memorable!:)

I am sure it is more exciting for a sailing lover. Most of my friends are not and found it kinda difficult...they wanted something more relaxing. I spoke to a lady on Sunday that did it with the Rhapsody...she is a big time sailor and loved it.

NCL had an excursion like this in the Bahamas & we tried it. There were 2 New Zealand America's Cup racing sailboats, which they called the "Black Team" and the "White Team", & the group of us were split into 2 teams so we could have a "race". It was not a relaxing ride, in fact it was rather physical if you were assigned a job like "grinder", where you are turning a wheel to make the sails go up & down (I did this & I do not have any upper body strength to speak of). It was an exciting trip though, especially because the seas were rough that day. In fact it was too rough for us to actually do the "race", so we just sailed out then back over a 2 1/2 hour period. The up & down motion of the boat that day made me feel queasy, but I hadn't expected that & hadn't taken any kind of motion sickness preventative. The crew had a ball though - they said the trip is usually rather boring for them, but that day they really enjoyed the high seas (more than I did).

I would recommend it if you like to sail & you don't mind working at it - it was pretty cool knowing you were on an America's Cup yacht, all in all.

Good luck!

Janet

We did this excursion in St. Martin a couple years ago and everyone involved loved it. It was a thrilling ride and also fun to learn a task. I was assigned to the starboard winch - something I had never done before - then taught to do it quickly enough for a race. Of course we received detailed instructions throughout the 'event'. It was great fun and I highly recommend it.

You don't need to be in great shape to do this and enjoy it. Just willing to participate.

Hi, We found the Yael Sail Tour online and it wasn't part of the Holland American tour excursions. It was absolutely fantastic. The boat holds a maximum of 10 people and the Captain made us feel like royalty. The cost was $57.00 per person but we ended up chartering the whole boat and extending our 3 hour trip to 5 hours. He took us to places other boats couldn't get in and out of for snorkeling and even took us to a secluded beach where he performed a marriage for two of our friends on board. The food was delicious! We're so glad we decided to go on the Yael. I have more information in my computer somewhere so if your interested in more information email me at tothemax@gorge.net Happy Sails to you. Maxine

Archived