POSSIBLE 20 yr STORM FOR WEST COAST THIS WEEK!

wtevrfltsurbt

Hello all~

I am from San Diego and even though I now live in Houston, I still watch the weather on my desktop for So Cal as my son lives there and saw this advisory, so I thought I'd pass it along for those of you leaving out of LA. or S.D. this week:o

From the Weather channel:

Chula Vista

Watches and Warnings

Chula Vista Forecast

ORANGE COUNTY COASTAL AREAS-SAN DIEGO COUNTY COASTAL AREAS-SAN BERNARDINO AND RIVERSIDE COUNTY VALLEYS-THE INLAND EMPIRE-SAN DIEGO COUNTY VALLEYS-SAN BERNARDINO COUNTY MOUNTAINS-RIVERSIDE COUNTY MOUNTAINS-SANTA ANA MOUNTAINS AND FOOTHILLS-SAN DIEGO COUNTY MOUNTAINS-APPLE AND LUCERNE VALLEYS-COACHELLA VALLEY-SAN DIEGO COUNTY DESERTS-520 AM PDT TUE SEP 18 2007...STRONG SEPTEMBER STORM POSSIBLE LATE THURSDAY THROUGH EARLY SATURDAY...A STRONG STORM FOR SEPTEMBER MAY MOVE THROUGH SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA LATE THURSDAY THROUGH EARLY SATURDAY. THIS STORM HAS THE POTENTIAL TO PRODUCE WEATHER VERY RARELY SEEN IN SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA IN SEPTEMBER. THIS COULD BE THE STRONGEST MID LATITUDE SEPTEMBER STORM FOR SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA IN AROUND 20 YEARS. SEPTEMBER STORMS WITH SOME SIMILARITY TO THIS STORM OCCURRED IN 1986 AND IN 1963. THIS STORM IS CURRENTLY DEVELOPING OVER SOUTHWESTERN BRITISH COLUMBIA AND WILL MOVE QUICKLY SOUTHWARD ALONG THE WEST COAST TO NEAR THE BAY AREA BY WEDNESDAY EVENING...THEN WILL MOVE MORE SLOWLY SOUTHWARD ALONG THE CENTRAL CALIFORNIA COAST TO NEAR POINT CONCEPTION BY EARLY THURSDAY EVENING. MOVEMENT THEN WILL BE SLOWLY EASTWARD ACROSS SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA THURSDAY NIGHT THROUGH EARLY SATURDAY. THERE ARE STILL SOME DIFFERENCES IN THE TRACK FORECAST AND TIMING FOR THURSDAY THROUGH SATURDAY AND ESPECIALLY FOR THE POTENTIAL IMPACTS TO SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA. STRONG WINDS WILL DEVELOP IN ADVANCE OF THIS STORM IN THE MOUNTAINS AND DESERTS FOR WEDNESDAY NIGHT AND THURSDAY. THIS STORM SHOULD BRING MUCH COOLER TEMPERATURES FOR THURSDAY AND FRIDAY WITH COOLEST TEMPERATURES FRIDAY. DEPENDING UPON THE EVENTUAL TRACK AND TIMING OF THIS STORM...THERE IS THE POTENTIAL FOR LOCALLY HEAVY PRECIPITATION AT TIMES FROM LATE THURSDAY THROUGH LATE FRIDAY. THIS STORM WILL BE QUITE COLD FOR SEPTEMBER WITH THE POSSIBILITY OF THUNDERSTORMS AND EVEN FOR SNOWFALL IN THE MOUNTAINS ABOVE 6000 FEET. THERE IS ALSO THE POSSIBILITY OF WATERSPOUTS OVER THE COASTAL WATERS AND TORNADOES OVER ADJACENT LAND AREAS. STAY TUNED THE NEXT FEW DAYS FOR LATER UPDATES ON THIS DEVELOPING STORM.

For those of us who still live in San Diego, where there is now widespread talk of water rationing and conservation, a September storm with lots or rainfall in our reservoirs would be most welcome. We have had no measurable rainfall since March and the hills and mountains are so dry and parched, the wildfire dangers continue to be RED. So bring it on!:)

For those of us who still live in San Diego, where there is now widespread talk of water rationing and conservation, a September storm with lots or rainfall in our reservoirs would be most welcome. We have had no measurable rainfall since March and the hills and mountains are so dry and parched, the wildfire dangers continue to be RED. So bring it on!:)

Yeah! If the fires don't stop soon in Julian there will be NO APPLE PIE:eek:

I was still there for the Barona/Wild cat Cayon fires so I hear ya! Good luck!

We live in the San Bernardino mountains where a forest fire is currently burning. The lastest news release says the firefighters may need cold weather gear! While I hope no one's cruise this weekend is spoiled, we're praying for rain and snow to put these fires out and send our wonderful firefighters back home.

We could sure use some rain here! I live just north of the SB mountains in the high desert.

The Butler2 wildfire is just south of us and it's finally 83% contained! Fawnskin is still under mandatory evacuation. We are getting lots of wind gusts here in the desert and I'm hoping that the mountains are not.

We survived (and so did our house) the Cedar fire in October 3 years ago although 3 houses on our street of 10 burned to the ground. So again, I say bring on the rain; although the forecast now is for only 60% chance on Friday. The Julian fire is almost 90%contained now but the whole town was evacuated for 48 hours so no apple pies for a few days!

Oh this could be a blessing for the fire areas, and wouldn't that be a treat, Snow on our San Jacinto MTs in Sept. Our most awesome winter storm was back in 1979, We had T Shirts on sail, We survived the Palm Springs Blizzard of 79.

Wt sorry TY for the news, they are reporting a storm, but doesn't appear to be to major for us here.

Special Weather Statement

Apple, Lucerne Valleys (California)

SPECIAL WEATHER STATEMENT

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE SAN DIEGO CA

1100 AM PDT WED SEP 19 2007

CAZ042-043-048-050-055>058-060>062-201300-

ORANGE COUNTY COASTAL AREAS-SAN DIEGO COUNTY COASTAL AREAS-

SAN BERNARDINO AND RIVERSIDE COUNTY VALLEYS-THE INLAND EMPIRE-

SAN DIEGO COUNTY VALLEYS-SAN BERNARDINO COUNTY MOUNTAINS-

RIVERSIDE COUNTY MOUNTAINS-SANTA ANA MOUNTAINS AND FOOTHILLS-

SAN DIEGO COUNTY MOUNTAINS-APPLE AND LUCERNE VALLEYS-

COACHELLA VALLEY-SAN DIEGO COUNTY DESERTS-

1100 AM PDT WED SEP 19 2007

...STRONG SEPTEMBER STORM FRIDAY AND SATURDAY...

A STRONG PACIFIC STORM FOR SEPTEMBER IS EXPECTED TO MOVE THROUGH

SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA LATE FRIDAY AND EARLY SATURDAY. THIS STORM HAS

THE POTENTIAL TO PRODUCE WEATHER RARELY SEEN IN SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA

IN SEPTEMBER. RAIN COULD BEGIN AS EARLY AS THURSDAY WITH SHOWERS

INTO FRIDAY BUT THE HEAVIEST PRECIPITATION IS EXPECTED FRIDAY NIGHT

INTO EARLY SATURDAY MORNING.

RAINFALL TOTALS WILL BE QUITE VARIABLE DUE TO THE SHOWERY NATURE OF

THE RAIN. PRELIMINARY RAINFALL ESTIMATES ARE FOR ABOUT A QUARTER TO

HALF AN INCH NEAR THE COAST TO ONE INCH ON THE COASTAL MOUNTAIN

SLOPES AND FOOTHILLS WITH UP TO A QUARTER INCH IN THE DESERTS. THERE

COULD BE LOCAL LARGER AMOUNTS OF ONE AND A HALF TO TWO AND A HALF

INCHES ON THE WEST AND SOUTHWEST FACING MOUNTAIN SLOPES OR IN

CONVECTION. ANY SIGNIFICANT RAIN WILL BRING THE THREAT OF FLASH

FLOODING AND DEBRIS FLOW IN AND BELOW RECENT BURN AREAS.

THE COLD AIR ALOFT WILL CAUSE ENOUGH INSTABILITY FOR A CHANCE OF

THUNDERSTORMS. THE SNOW LEVEL WILL LOWER TO NEAR 6000 FEET LATE

FRIDAY NIGHT. LOCAL STRONG GUSTY WINDS WILL PRECEDE AND ACCOMPANY

THIS STORM...MAINLY IN THE MOUNTAINS AND DESERTS. THERE IS ALSO THE

POSSIBILITY OF WATERSPOUTS OVER THE COASTAL WATERS AND FUNNEL CLOUDS

OR EVEN A TORNADO.

SHOWERS WILL TAPER OFF SATURDAY AFTERNOON AS THE STORM MOVES

NORTHEAST. PEOPLE SHOULD STAY INFORMED ON THIS DEVELOPING STORM.

$$

DVA

Those in So Ca can confirm that typically the foothills and local mountains receive greater rainfall than the costal areas. I live near the beach and if we get 1/2" of rain in a storm that is a lot! I would imagine that anyone leaving from the LB/SP ports shouldn't see too much rain.

Happy cruising!

We survived (and so did our house) the Cedar fire in October 3 years ago although 3 houses on our street of 10 burned to the ground. So again, I say bring on the rain; although the forecast now is for only 60% chance on Friday. The Julian fire is almost 90%contained now but the whole town was evacuated for 48 hours so no apple pies for a few days!

That week was a horrible time for many communities. At one point we were less than two miles away from the Santa Clarita-Simi-Porter Ranch fire, and I had started loading the car with stuff, just in case the authorities started mandatory evacuation in the neighborhood. The area is looking dry, and there's talk of water rationing. So we need some rain.

Of course, my little one isn't going to be happy when she hears the forecast for Saturday: hubby had promised her we would go to Magic Mountain then.

Well, we got our bit of the storm in Sacramento on Wednesday evening, as predicted in the original forecast. It poured rain for half an hour, with hail. It is indeed a "cold" storm (by California standards).

The wet and cool are a wonderful relief.

Archived