Cruising The Mr In 10 Days...what Are The Chances Of Meeting Up With A Huge Storm?

wizard-of-roz

I've been in the Caribbean when they had a hurricane and we were on the Sun Viking....but, we got caught in that storm, it came upon us, very suddenly and it was before they had such good radar and other ways of predicting these things!

What will the ship do if there's already a storm and a planned cruise, with a full ship, going right into it?

Do they change the itinerary?

Do they cancel the cruise?

And, if they do cancel, what is the offering from the line?:confused:

Gotta be prepared for what may come! :rolleyes:

I assume the MR is the Mexican Riviera? If so, I am also cruising it in 10 days. I just read on foxnews that a hurricane is forming off the coast of Mexico and is expected to turn towards the Baja Penninsula. Hopefully it's mild and is gone before I get there! The last MR cruise that was there during the hurricane a few weeks ago had the itinerary changed. It was out of San Francisco so they ended up with an extra sea day, a day in Catalina Island, and a day in San Diego. No idea what compensation, if any, was offered.

espmass: MR is the Mexican Riviera and we'll aboard the Golden Princess, leaving on Sept. 29th, out of San Pedro, CA.......

I don't much mind an itinerary change, since this cruise will be more about the ship than anything else....I didn't want to see a cancellation, all together!

If you hear more about any changes, I'd love an update......

Thanks so much for responding!

If there is a hurricane in the path of your cruise, the cruiseline will do everything they can to keep you out of harm's way.

Usually this involves itinerary changes. A couple of weeks ago the Carnival Pride went to Catalina, San Diego, and Ensenada, Mexico instead of Cabo, Puerto Vallarta, and Mazatlan. For the Mexican Riviera I've also seen cruises just change the order they go to ports. And ships have even been rerouted up to Vancouver or Victoria, BC a few times in the last couple of years.

Very, very rarely will they cancel the cruise outright.

So interesting that you mention the Pride, we'll be on her in January......I'm glad to hear that it's rare that the ships actually cancel a cruise.....Because, a cruise to "anywhere" is okay by me!!!!!!!!

I'll do a special "no hurricane, no cancellation" dance just for cruising folks!

Thanks!

Wizard- We'll be in LA the 29th but have a family function and can't cruise till the Sunday so we're taking the Dawn out of San Diego. We were on the Golden a year or two before and loved it. I agree with you; any port is fine as long as I'm on a cruise! The weather report said they are going to watch the formation of the storm overnight.

Hurricane update- Hurricane Ivo is a category 1 and is expected to move just north of Cabo San Lucas on Monday. After that it's expected to head northwards/ Hopefully it won't effect anyone's cruise and that this one will be the last of the year!

It would be pretty rare for a hurricane to affect this area. Last year there were a few and this year one or two hurricanes that swung by that area. If need be, the ship would just stay away from the affected area, possibly sticking by Ensenada as another poster said.

From what I understand next week will have warm weather heading toward the weekend in LA. Should be warm down by Cabo, etc. We just had a very rare storm yesterday (thunderstorm last night) and today. Lots of rain that was very needed. I doubt if there will be another one at least for a few weeks.

Archived