San Pedro to Laguna & back: What should we know?

CoolChile

We'll be docked for the day at San Pedro in Oct. and want to rent a car (Enterprise?) to do a jaunt down to Laguna. We've been to Laguna several times in the past . . . had family there . . . but this is the first time going from a cruise ship pier. (Translation: we have a mortal fear of missing the ship. :eek: )

We'd like to maximize our time in Laguna and places along the way. Our questions:

1. If we disembark at 9 AM to get our rental car (yes, we'll pre-book), how long should it take us on PCH to get to Laguna? (It will be a Wednesday.)

2. The ship leaves at 5 PM, but our deadline for ourselves is 4 PM. How much time should we allow between leaving Laguna, dropping off the car, and getting back on board?

It's been 18 years and I'm feeling pretty nostalgic. We welcome any tips, must do's (or must don'ts ;) ) any of you SoCal'ers have to share.

On a weekday morning, if you want to take PCH the entire way, I would plan at least 1.5 hours to get from San Pedro to Laguna. You could probably get there faster by taking the freeway (use the carpool lane) and taking Laguna Canyon Rd. off of the 405 since you are leaving after 9AM. Alternatively you could take the 73 toll road off the 405 and then take the Laguna Canyon exit off of that. I would plan on 45 minutes for that.

Coming home, anytime after about 2PM is considered rush hour, and the freeway really starts to get packed about 3PM. You might want to plan on coming back to the ship on PCH, just giving yourself enough time. Plan on about 1.5 hours again to be safe.

You're very helpful, Splinter. So, see if I've got this right:

~ If we are ready to roll at 8:30 or 9 am, the freeway would be a little less busy than earlier in the morning, and thus our quickest option for getting to Laguna.

~ We can use the carpool lane with only two in the vehicle.

Not sure what you mean by . . . "Alternatively you could take the 73 toll road off the 405 and then take the Laguna Canyon exit off of that. I would plan on 45 minutes for that." I don't know what the "73 toll road" is or how it differs from the freeway. We WILL look at the map, but maybe you could just explain this bit to me. If it were you, and time was of the essence, would you do the freeway or the "toll road off the 405?" (and how much is the toll? Will we still be able to afford a martini on the ship? ;) )

Thanx for your help *again* Splinter.:)

Hi...

The 405 freeway branches off to the right to the 73 freeway/toll road, saves you a lot of traffic near OC/John Wayne Airport and takes you down to Laguna Canyon Road where you turn right for a short distance to Laguna. I have an automatic pass, so I'm not sure what the fee is...I'm guessing between $5-7. Perhaps someone can help with this. It could save you 1/2 hr on the road.

Splinter was right in his estimate of usual time from Laguna back to the port. However, there's some construction now both in Newport and Huntington Beach and I would be a bit conservative and give yourself two hours to get back on Pacific Coast Highway.

IF you find that you get back quickly there are any number of places on 2nd street in Long Beach to stop for refreshment and it' a nice drive all along the coast.

Enjoy yourselves!

murphysmum;)

I'm clearer now . . . thanks so much, murphysmom (I bet murphy is very cute;) ). We'll probably come over to your place, get your pass and do the toll road. :D Really appreciate the heads up about the construction in Newport and Huntington. Don't want that mortal fear of missing the ship renting too much space in my head . . . lol . . .

Now, I'm going to ask about where to stop for wine (and maybe spirits) but, not to hijack . . . if you have some answers for that topic, see my thread coming up (and thanx again).

Hi Chile...

I didn't see this post before I answered your other one. Yes, Murphy is very cute. She's a twelve year old cat who rules the house.

I hope that all of your questions are answered now and that you feel prepared for your trip. When are you coming and where are you sailing to?

We're just getting ready to leave for Italy for a cruise out of Venice...leaving tomorrow actually.

Isn't traveling just the best experience?

Warmest,

Janed...and "Meow" from Murphy

Hi Chile ... I didn't see this post before I answered your other one. Yes, Murphy is very cute. She's a twelve year old cat who rules the house. I hope that all of your questions are answered now and that you feel prepared for your trip. When are you coming and where are you sailing to? We're just getting ready to leave for Italy for a cruise out of Venice...leaving tomorrow actually. Warmest, Janed...and "Meow" from Murphy

Murphysmom, you're leaving tomorrow and you're helping me out here? What a woman! Email me when you get a chance: o ne c o o l c h i l e a t y a h o o d o t c a. (Note, it's dot ca, not dot com.) Would love to tell you a bit about my Laguna connection off-line but, in the meantime, have a super trip . . . I'm sure you're very prepared. But what about Murphy (we're cat peeps, too)?

Sounds like a stupendous trip you have planned.

I just have to say before you go: People like YOU are what makes CruiseCritic a wonderful place to "be."

Hi!

Thanks for the good thoughts!

Never fear about "Her Highness", Murphy. She has her own housekeeper/kitty sitter staying with her the entire time, knows her like part of the family and she will also be visited by several neighbors while we're gone. She has never been in a kennel and would be quite indignant at the idea of being taken from "her" home.

WILL email when I get back and I'd love to hear about your Laguna connection.

Off to weigh my bag...going through Heathrow and it will be a test of patience.

Bye for now...

Janed (murphysmum);)

Archived