Snorkling from Shore at Eden Rock?

Dolphin3

My family would like to snorkle at Eden Rock at Grand Cayman for a short time, is there a public area or access where you can enter the water from the beach or pier at no charge or minimal charge? I don't want to go through a dive shop and spend alot of $$$$$ and we all have snorkling equipment already. Any advise is greatly appreciated. Thanks!!

We did this a couple of years ago when we were in port. Eden Rock was perfect for us. We did have our own snorkel equipment, but they have some to rent right there and it is reasonable. We did rent a locker for our stuff. So we just showed up and stored our stuff then walked down some steps into the water and snorkeled for as long as we wanted. The coral isn't that great, but we did see a decent amount of fish and stuff. I really liked it. Then there is a great bar with fruit smoothies, food, and drinks and it was really laid back. We only had a couple of hours to spend there due to a wedding we had to be back on the ship for so it was great just hanging and getting to do something that didn't involve a preset tour but we got to experience a little of Grand Caymen.

www.edenrockdive.com

My family would like to snorkle at Eden Rock at Grand Cayman for a short time, is there a public area or access where you can enter the water from the beach or pier at no charge or minimal charge? I don't want to go through a dive shop and spend alot of $$$$$ and we all have snorkling equipment already. Any advise is greatly appreciated. Thanks!!

When we went there in '05 there was public access. It is a nice spot and we saw lots of fish. Only downside was a lot of people were using this area. The "beach" is also rocky so you need to be careful entering and exiting the water.

We entered the water near the building that rents equipment. You really can't miss the place if you turn right and walk down the road that runs along the water.

When we went there in '05 there was public access. It is a nice spot and we saw lots of fish. Only downside was a lot of people were using this area. The "beach" is also rocky so you need to be careful entering and exiting the water.

We entered the water near the building that rents equipment. You really can't miss the place if you turn right and walk down the road that runs along the water.

Concur - one problem with Eden Rock is it is the site nearest the normal tender landing. So, people who don't want to go far all stay here. Add to that the normal diver traffic and the site can be crowded.

When I visit via cruise ship I head down the road a mile to Sunset House. Great shore diving and snorkeling with a dive shop right there and one of the best bars on the island for when you get out. It is far enough out of town to never be crowded in my experience and I've done week long dive trips there many times.... http://sunsethouse.com/

If a mile is too much a stretch of the legs for all, all the cab drivers know where it is....

Archived