Jellyfish in Castaway

I<3Cruises

I was at another cruise lines private island this time last year and there was quite a jellyfish problem...my friend got stung pretty bad...just wondering if anyone encountered a similar problem at Castaway

Any info would be appreciated

Thanks in advance!!!

My son and I were stung by what they were guessing was jellyfish larve. It wasn't a bad sting at all but it was just so unexpected as it was long after snorkeling far out; it was by the sports beach area we treked over to for the first time. We saw the stingray area and went to have a look but there were so many rocks bothering our feet, we paddled over on stomachs even though just in 2 feet of water. My son got stung and jumped on me, I tried to cradle him and scoot to shore thinking it was a rock he stepped on and then I pretty much sat on the same spot and got stung. It was in some mossy (?) looking growth in 1 or 2 feet of water, maybe the larve were stuck in there. Anyway, if you happen to be over by the sting rays, try to avoid the mucky areas.

I inquired at the lifeguard station about anything to put on it and they didn't have anything but quickly called for a cart to drive us to first aid. That was very nice as it was a significant walk. They had vinager there for applying to bite which helped greatly.

On the advice thread on another board, we were told to get SafeSea sunblock with Jellyfish protection

Because there are occurrences of 'tiny jellyfish larvae' getting in peoples' swimsuits and causing what looks like heatrash all over.

We used it and no issues.

If you are stung, they say to use soap and water on the area immediately, and then rinse with white vinegar...

:(

no jellies for me but I did step on some kind of sea urchin at the adult beach. Had a bunch of little sticker things in my foot and had to get all the way back to first aid on the other side so the "nurse" could pick them out with a needle! Fun!

On the advice thread on another board, we were told to get SafeSea sunblock with Jellyfish protection

Because there are occurrences of 'tiny jellyfish larvae' getting in peoples' swimsuits and causing what looks like heatrash all over.

We used it and no issues.

If you are stung, they say to use soap and water on the area immediately, and then rinse with white vinegar...

:(

We used this product but I don't think there's much you can do if you sit or step on the larvae which is what happened to us. We didn't have any problems or see anything snorkeling, though. I wonder if there are more stings in certain areas. Ours was at the sports beach near the stingrays.

Well this is actually a good question. Were you in the area last year a week or two after a hurricane? I do know that when we went 2 years ago it was right after Hurricane Wilma and there were thousands of jellyfish to the point where I had an anxiety attack out in the middle of the snorkelling area.

The information we got from the cruise line on the shore was that this time of year there are jellys, the main thing though is bad storms, such as hurricanes sometimes push them into shore making it a lot worse then normal.

We were on Castaway Cay September 1. I was stung in the water at the family beach, as were others. These aren't man'o'wars, it kind of stings, tingles and burns and is easily treated. First aid soaked my wrist in vinegar and then put ointment on. You couldn't even see a mark 2 days later. :)

We were there on Tuesday and didn't see a thing at the adult beach. We didn't venture into the other beach areas though, so I wouldn't know about them:) I wish I would have had my snorkel gear as there were a couple of stingrays and their friends in the area. We had a perfect beach day at Castaway Cay and didn't hear any complaints from others.

I think this happens during the summer months. We were at Vero Beach in late June and while there weren't any the first two days, they were out in full force on the last day so I believe it's a summer time thing. We typically sail in March and have never seen them then; nor in October. We are going in December this year and I'm not anticipating seeing them.

Hi there... We were on the Disney Magic Sept 8-15th cruise. My teenage son got stung pretty bad at Castaway Cay while snorkeling. The tentacles came across his arm while he was swimming. He quickly used his other hand to remove it and was stung on two fingers on that hand. He went to first aid on the island and they put vinegar on it and bandaged it. It left 4 (6-7 inch) red zigzag type puffy lines on his arm. After the stinging and swelling went away, it began to itch as it healed. Today...Sept 26th...he still has the red lines but they are fading. Being a 17 year old boy it is quite a cool story to tell the friends.

Archived