Iguanas?

belder

Hello, What can I do on this island if I am TERRIFIED :eek: of Iguanas? I dont care if they are far, far away in the distance, but I can NOT have them near me. We will be here in December 2007. Thank you for not laughing.:o Do you always see them on the beaches? What about on town in the shopping areas?

progress.gif

You are likely to see them at all the beaches, because they've learned to like human food, and where there are people on the beach, there's probably food nearby.

You will not encounter them walking around in town. If your ship docks at Havensight, you may see some near The Butterfly Farm, so stay away from that area. If your ship docks in Crown Bay, I've seen them on the rocks near the dock, but I don't know if they're always there.

I don't think they come too close to Paradise Point, but to be on the safe side, don't look too hard into the trees, or you may spot one. In fact, if you don't look for them, they're easy to miss. If you take a tour, more than likely, though, the taxi driver will point them out. You'll have to look the other way.

Iguana is being imported by Caribbean people for food in the US. It's a big thing at weddings. I don't know if they are offering it in St. Thomas but be careful. They are all over the island and will not bother you. They wander all around the aquarium and Magens Bay, Secret Harbour, Bolongo, etc. Just stay in town and you should have no problem.

First off they are huge so you will usually notice them...again they like the rocks and beach. I found in St. Martten that they are not afraid of us so they dont run. That is helful as you dont have to worry that they are gonna run at you or on you. The are what I call the "locals" and they are pretty content to sit take in the environment.

Here is one at Saphire Beach in St Thomas...he could care less that I was standing right next to him

2893819910101791430S600x600Q85.jpg

Thanks for the help.. I know they WILL be around I just dont want them to be near me. Looks like I will stay in town and shop and stay away from the rocks (and Sapphire beach!). I really wanted to take one of the tours around the island as I would love to see the island. Does anyone know of any tours that wouldnt put me in 'Iguana Territory?'

I do know we will be docking Crown Bay where one poster said they are on the rocks there, will I have to walk closely by them to get to town? Thanks so much for the advice. Why do I do this to myself??????:confused:

Hello,

If you want to go to the beach try Magens Bay, don't really see iguanas there - actually don't think I've ever seen any around the beach. Sapphire has quite a few hanging out in the same area beachgoers do. The island tours are by taxi/bus so if you see an iguana its going to be in a tree or on a rock and you are going to be in the vehicle or standing at a look out taking in the view. If there are iguanas cooling out on the rocks or close to the dock in Crown Bay you can avoid them.

--Islander

We saw them in the little park on the hill above from the post office. There were little ones & even bigger ones just running around & hanging out in the trees. It was a sight when my Mother noticed them. She about died!:eek: We did not even know they had them in STT. They also have tarantulas walking the streets. :eek: Saw one as we were riding in a taxi, asked about them. Taxi driver said " We have iguanas & tarantulas, but we don't have them SNAKES like you do in the US. We don't want no snakes!" :D

How big are the iguanas? I'd love to see them, but all I've ever seen in the wild are little onew about 6 inches long - are they bigger on Sapphire Beach?

Here's a picture of my husband feeding some on Roatan. This will give you an idea of approximately how big they can get:

199954799-M.jpg

These were about the average size there. Some were bigger, some smaller.

• 1 month later...
We saw them in the little park on the hill above from the post office. There were little ones & even bigger ones just running around & hanging out in the trees. It was a sight when my Mother noticed them. She about died!:eek: We did not even know they had them in STT. They also have tarantulas walking the streets. :eek: Saw one as we were riding in a taxi, asked about them. Taxi driver said " We have iguanas & tarantulas, but we don't have them SNAKES like you do in the US. We don't want no snakes!" :D

NOW I'M SCARRED!:eek:

I can't wait to see them!

Now, the big, hairy spiders I could do without. I'm glad someone mentioned them, because if I were wandering around and looked over and saw a tarantula, I would freak!

Iguanas are way cooler! I love lizards. They look so prehistoric. My next pet is going to be a very large lizard of some type. When I move to Arizona (eventually), he'll be my pet. I'll walk him on a lead the way I walk my dogs now.

:D

• 4 weeks later...

Interesting that someone mentioned they have developed an affinity for human food. I was at the restaurant/bar at American Yacht Harbor a couple of years ago and there were iguanas running around the tables and chairs - it's an open air restaurant - with signs all over the place that read "don't feed the iguanas". They are really creepy looking. One day, I was walking down the dock, looking down to where I was walking, but not really ahead. There was a huge on in my path and I darn near jumped out of my shoes, backwards, with it came into my sight. I think the whole marina heard me scream. He took off...they are good swimmers, you know! I pay more attention these days as I'm not fond of them myself.

Archived