Mysterious Shore Excursions

JerseyMom

I have noticed that some of the shore excursions listed on the order form are not described on the NCL website. For example: on my upcoming Western Caribbean trip, the order form lists for Roatan "Hikers Ridge & Forest Adventure" but no description exists for this. Sounds interesting but I don't want to sign up for something without knowing more about it.

Does anyone know if the shore excursion desk would have this information or do I have wait to learn more once I am on board the ship? Does anyone know how knowledgeable they are about this?

Thanks!

i am thinking that since this is a new port, to replace costa maya..that more information will be coming. they just have't gotten the website caught up yet. we may be booking soon, we have been researching on the roatan port-of-call boards to get some ideas.

Hopefully they will update soon. Maybe I will just book according to what interests me now and change later if the "new" excursions look more interesting.

Also, I noticed a Nature & Culture cruise in Santo Tomas that I don't recall seeing a description for as well.

i got to check that one out, that sounds interesting. have your asked here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=27 (roatan)

or here

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=460 (santo tomas)

even though we are, both, looking at NCL cruises...some of the local tours take the same route. could find out what these tours offer by looking at other similar tours?

i am thinking that since this is a new port, to replace costa maya..that more information will be coming. they just have't gotten the website caught up yet. we may be booking soon, we have been researching on the roatan port-of-call boards to get some ideas.

Hi there! Fellow Mississippian here!

A friend and I are on the Spirit out of NOLA December 2...I've been researching the Roaton port-of-call boards also...and just googling Roatan on my own. Our TA was very excited we are going to Roatan now; he says it is one of his favorite ports. Even though this is the first cruise for either of us, he said Roatan was a port when we could go off on our own...we are still debating that issue, though.

Happy sailing to all!

we are looking into dec 2 or 9th of this year. the prices for a balcony is a little better for the 9th. only $50 difference, but since it doesn't matter which week, we are using the price as a guide to which week to book.

i have been reading the port-of-calls boards for all the ports on the spirit.

roatan sounds really good for beaches and a snorkle. the reports of how nice the taxi drivers are and how helpful they are about showing their island...make it sound like a very relaxed place. but i will be booking at least 2 trips to ruins...one in belize (i think). the ones out of costa maya were the ones i really wanted to see, but can't be helped.

i am saving the jungle tours or hike for another trip to a resort in costa rica...

• 3 weeks later...

I found info on a 2005 NCL page when "Googled" @ http://home.comcast.net/~cajunzydeco/zydecocruise2005/zydecocruise2005.shore.roatan.htm

Sounds like a fun day, but after reviewing upcoming days it is similar to other excursions we are planning. Might just kick back on our own after the Trolly Tour. Cruise is 12/16 with prelimanary excursions in order - Trolly Tour, Waterfall Voyage, Jungle Tubing & Deep Sea Fishing. Any feedback appreciated - Jim & Sharon

we have the other ports planned...usually we don't plan this well, but things just fell into place. have nothing planned for roatan. DH says no snorkeling and i say "no" to long drives. as much as everyone on the roatan port-of-call board has ideas on what to do, we are thinking about just staying on the ship. from the photo i saw, they don't have shopping at the docks. if fact the docks are barely at the docks, unless we dock somewhere other then where i saw.

with long drives in both santo tomas and belize, i don't think my back will take any more bumpy roads or long time sitting. we are saving our deep sea fishing for costa rica, next year. we are doing the beach on cozumel, mayan ruins in santo tomas and belize...nothing sounds apealing for roatan (sorry roatan, not your fault)

Someone else can probably better answer, but if I recall correctly, there is shopping in Roatan outside the pier and to the right? We didn't go that way, but I think a lot of others did.

Smellytoes, our day at Gumbalimba was one of the best days of my life, too! I LOVED it there. We did the canopy tour first, but a lot of people didn't. Then we walked through the park and played with the monkeys and macaws. I sat on the beach while my husband went snorkeling--waaaaaayyyyy out in the water where he said he had never seen anything like it. We had the lobster lunch through the cruiseline, but later we realized there was a taco stand that had awesome food. And I bought a salad bowl set that was more expensive in town. On the way back to the ship, we stopped to take awesome pictures, and there was a boy who was selling conch shells. He also had an iguana, and my husband got his picture taken with it. (I passed on that opportunity. Ew.)

It was so quiet there, and I think that's what I enjoyed about it.

Archived