Bottled Water

littlemommabj

I agree...the tap water on the Spirit last week was very good. I overheard several comments about the high quality from other passengers throughout the week.

As far as bottled, they offered Evian and Pellegrino. But they were an extra cost ($4.50 for the large bottles in the stateroom, I'm not sure if a smaller and less expensive size was available in the restaurants).

We drink alot of bottled water but there are a couple of brands we do not care for..anyone know which brands NCL Dawn uses?

Also, is there a coffee maker in category AF minisuite? This is the first time on NCL and we are looking for some information!

Thanks BJ

NCL tap water is fine.

Yes to the coffee maker. But, you can order pots of coffee from room service. We always order our coffee, real cream!

Once again, it seems that people's experiences are differing! I had to get special permission to bring my water on board our upcoming Star trip. I had to inform them which "brand" of water I was bringing AND why! I received approval but am still pretty "#issed" about having it be an issue at all! I don't care to hear from "anti- bottled water bashers AGAIN." But I have had swelling experiences that have caused me to feel more secure drinking water I am used to at home. Simple as that. Obviously this IS a revenue topic for NCL. For me it is a health and comfort issue.

I don't care to hear from "anti- bottled water bashers AGAIN."
Who's bashing bottled water? :confused: People here are just letting the OP know about the quality of water on the ship that could save them money and hassle. If you have to have bottled water, good for you. Not everyone does.

if you do a search on these boards...

when anyone "ask" to bring water or soda aboard, the folks in the office will tell you NO. everyone we have talked to (on these boards or elsewhere) just do it. we brought a case of bottle water for SIL and FIL..this was before we knew how good the water was. AND a couple 6-pks of soda for the rest of us.

as dinner, as she drank her tap water (would not pay the $$ for a small bottle of water) SIL said if she had known how good the water was she would have left the bottles at home.

i drink filtered water at home and found no difference in taste or clarity with the water out of the tap. as it's been said, on these boards, the person in charged of the water is the 2nd most important person on the ship.

there are no rules against bringing your own, but if you ask...they will tell you no. if you just take it, no problems...!!

Cecilia, it has happened many times on many different threads....believe me! It is commonly thought that the purified water on board is wonderful...it just isn't for me after many "swelling on cruises" experiences. I just didn't want to argue...and have just completed a series of e-mails with the ship coordinator on the Star and it even became a medical issue....as to whether or not my water would be allowed. I honestly didn't want to make final payment until I made sure i could bring my water.

Sorry if I offended! I love these boards, and just thought others might want to be aware of the actual bringing water on board issue on the Star. It always seems to boil down to "BUT THE WATER IS SO PURE...WHY WOULD YOU BOTHER?" I didn't want to have to explain once again.:o

Oh, and I have done research since my problem is so bizarre....there IS a chemical that is used in the ship's purification process....and I am actually starting to believe that might be my problem. No proof, so please don't quote me! I'm just graspiing at threads at this point! Bringing my water is my security blanket:D

And it IS a big problem if "they...NCL " tells you no! We do try to follow rules.

This IS an issue if it is NOT allowed by NCL for those who prefer bottled water (what ever their personal reasons are). I thought the boards were a place to inform others of facts.:confused:

The original poster enjoys bottled water and was asking that specific question about bottled water...not whether the tap water is safe and good! Gee whiz!

The original poster enjoys bottled water and was asking that specific question about bottled water...not whether the tap water is safe and good! Gee whiz!

I am pretty sure the first reply to the OP answered their question:

"you can bring your own bottles of water, it's allowed." Apparently that is accepted as fact, regardless of what NCL says.

Now that the OP knows that, they can decide whether he/she feels that the tap water is safe. I am not sure what a "swelling experience" is, but I do not think that means that the tap water is not safe. So if it is facts you are after, find out what chemical caused your problems rather than assuming the water is bad and jumping down everyone's throat.

PLEASE DO NOT CALL NCL About this. I have asked this over and over again. You can bring a reasonable amount of soda or water aboard. A case of water is no problem. If you continue to call and ask NCL they will remind the crew not to allow it. SO stop calling for goodness sake. If you want to bring your own water please do so. Some people do react poorly to the residual salt left after reverse osmosis most people don't but some do.....and they are used to the water they normally drink. So drink what you want to but do not call and ask!

Cecilia, it has happened many times on many different threads....believe me!
Really? I swear, I've never seen anyone be bashed over wanting to bring bottled water although I always see people trying to reassure someone that the ship's water is great.

Sorry if I offended! I love these boards, and just thought others might want to be aware of the actual bringing water on board issue on the Star. It always seems to boil down to "BUT THE WATER IS SO PURE...WHY WOULD YOU BOTHER?" I didn't want to have to explain once again.:o

I'm not offended. I guess since bringing water isn't a thing for us, I don't read those threads or see much of that discussion. Learn something new every day. ;)
Bringing my water is my security blanket:D
If you don't want to haul it to the port you can always buy some in each port.

Thanks Cecilia.

Isles..."jumping down throats?" LOL!! Like the Ducks? LOL!

SMeyer, I didn't call, I e-mailed. You are so right...salt doesn't cause problems for everyone! For those who have experienced it, it is a very real problem!

DON'T EMAIL EITHER :)

Cecilia, it has happened many times on many different threads....believe me! It is commonly thought that the purified water on board is wonderful...it just isn't for me after many "swelling on cruises" experiences. I just didn't want to argue...and have just completed a series of e-mails with the ship coordinator on the Star and it even became a medical issue....as to whether or not my water would be allowed. I honestly didn't want to make final payment until I made sure i could bring my water.

Oh, and I have done research since my problem is so bizarre....there IS a chemical that is used in the ship's purification process....and I am actually starting to believe that might be my problem. No proof, so please don't quote me! I'm just graspiing at threads at this point! Bringing my water is my security blanket:D

Hi 4 cruisers,

I hope that this is the right thread to answer your question. There is no chemical involved in the process. It's as simple as evaporation. The sea water is boiled in the "evaporator" at about 5" of vacuum, so that it boils more efficiently at about 150F. Anything above 140F will kill anything in the water. None of the minerals (including salt) in the water can carry over with the steam. The steam is collected and condensed back into almost completely pure water, virtually no minerals and no gas. By law, the ship has to add chlorine to the pure water. The warm water goes straight into the hot water header, what hot water isn't used goes to the water storage tanks, where it's cooled by the ocean surrounding the tank, and is pumped to the cold water lines. That's why the water is always so warm when we're in the Caribbean. It can only cool down to sea water temp, and the ocean is usually around 80 to 85F. The ships also have reverse osmosis purifiers for use in port when the diesels are lightly loaded. The evaporators use waste heat from the diesel exhaust to heat the sea water. Typical tds (total dissolved solids) from the output of the evap is <50 ppm (parts per million), from the RO is <500 ppm. I'm almost sure that you don't want to hear this, but I really believe it's the food that bothers most people. I salt everything, so I'm used to a lot of salt in the food and don't swell. I think that folk who have gotten used to low salt diets eat up and have trouble due to the salt content in the food. I hope you get some resolution to your problem, but I'd bet good money it isn't the tap water. Hope this helps some.

how does an individual refiling a water container, and consuming said water themselves spread meningitis?

You touch the lip of the spigot with the bottle that has been drunk from previously and it has your saliva which is left of the spigot. The next drinker fills their glass and the germs from your saliva is passed to the next person. Its why they don't want you to refill your own glass...get a new one. Its how meningitis is spread....and also those who have compromised immune systems don't do well either - that's how....If you want to do this the correct one is to get a clean pitcher of water and fill it from the pitcher....

as I am diabetic with a poor immune system so this is interesting. also I am from the UK and this will bo our first cruise...

the spigot you describe is it facing upwards, drink fountain style?

surely in a restaurant it will be downward facing - and what idiot is going to suck on that.

as I am diabetic with a poor immune system so this is interesting. also I am from the UK and this will bo our first cruise...

the spigot you describe is it facing upwards, drink fountain style?

surely in a restaurant it will be downward facing - and what idiot is going to suck on that.

It has nothing to do with sucking and it faces down. You touch you used bottle to the spigot some saliva is left. The next person fills their glass and either it falls into the glass or they touch the outside of the spigot with their glass and either way its passed.

How do you think most Novo virus is passed?

Thanks Cecilia.

Isles..."jumping down throats?" LOL!! Like the Ducks? LOL!

As long as you know what you are talking about. :confused: I hope you get that swelling problem under control :eek:

And very interesting info wraithe.

Hi 4 cruisers,

I hope that this is the right thread to answer your question. There is no chemical involved in the process. It's as simple as evaporation. The sea water is boiled in the "evaporator" at about 5" of vacuum, so that it boils more efficiently at about 150F. Anything above 140F will kill anything in the water. None of the minerals (including salt) in the water can carry over with the steam. The steam is collected and condensed back into almost completely pure water, virtually no minerals and no gas. By law, the ship has to add chlorine to the pure water. The warm water goes straight into the hot water header, what hot water isn't used goes to the water storage tanks, where it's cooled by the ocean surrounding the tank, and is pumped to the cold water lines. That's why the water is always so warm when we're in the Caribbean. It can only cool down to sea water temp, and the ocean is usually around 80 to 85F. The ships also have reverse osmosis purifiers for use in port when the diesels are lightly loaded. The evaporators use waste heat from the diesel exhaust to heat the sea water. Typical tds (total dissolved solids) from the output of the evap is <50 ppm (parts per million), from the RO is <500 ppm. I'm almost sure that you don't want to hear this, but I really believe it's the food that bothers most people. I salt everything, so I'm used to a lot of salt in the food and don't swell. I think that folk who have gotten used to low salt diets eat up and have trouble due to the salt content in the food. I hope you get some resolution to your problem, but I'd bet good money it isn't the tap water. Hope this helps some.

Are you sure? Most cruise ships only have reverse osmosis and its against USPH regs to convert water within 3 or 12 miles of shore and totally improper when in port....

see for example this recent USPH report on the NCL Majesty and note that they took 5 points off for it...

http://wwwn.cdc.gov/vsp/InspectionQueryTool/Forms/InspectionSummaryView.aspx?Inspection=10717112

Wraithe, thank you so much for your post!

I believe they do add chloramine to the water which is not supposed to be good for people with kidney problems. I've read that you can remove it by adding citric acid (slices of citrus to your water), making coffee or tea with it (again the acid removes it) or using a filter. I am going to try that in November...nothing could make me want to EVER stop cruising!!!:D

Smeyer, more interesting info! I really do appreciate all the good reading I now will do!

Thanks everyone!

Archived