Freestyle Dining Question

KathyHKidd

We're going to be on the Spirit in a couple of weeks, taking a couple in their seventies who have never cruised before. Although we like both standard crusing and freestyle cruising, we wanted to do the standard cruising this time so the new cruisers would have the benefit of the superior service that having the same waiter every night would give. HOWEVER, the gentleman we're traveling with does not want to have to take a suit, and his wife does not want to take a dress.

Here's our question. If you dine in the dining room that has assigned seating, do you have to get dressed up for formal nights with freestyle cruising? Although this is our fourth Norwegian cruise, we've never dined in the dining room with the assigned tables since freestyle cruising was inaugurated, and we don't know what the rules are.

Thanks!

As far as I know there is no dining room with assigned seating on freestyle. You can ask for the same waiter or the same table each night, but that is up to you. Only the main dining room is usually reserved for those that want to do formal all the other dining venues you can go resort casual.

Mousecruiser is correct - there is no assigned seating in the Freestyle setup. I'm sure you can request the same waiter or waitress if you find one that you especially like. We liked them all on the Spirit but our favorite was Ramona from Romania. She was very attentive to our dining needs and engaging in conversation.

No suits were required - formal night was optional. The only restrictions in the dining rooms were no jeans, shorts or tank tops after 5:30PM. This rule was, for the most part, enforced depending which host/hostess was at the door. We did hear of few people being asked to change whle I also observed an elderly gentleman in denim jeans.

The peolpe who were denied access based on these rules for some reason became very upset. I don't know why as the dress code was clearly stated on the documents as well as the NCL website - it should not have taken them by surprise.

Enjoy the Spirit - we sure did!

Is there an assigned table for those that wish the old fashion dinner at 8p, with the same table every night???

Is that assigned when you get onboard?

With freestyle if my husband and I wanted to dine in the main dining room at 7pm, we just go there and wait in line?

But if we wanted to do the 8pm every night thing can we or is this not an option?

Confused, I understand the restaurants with the service charges and making reservations, but a bit confused about the freestyle in the main dining room.

Thanks

you can try to see the Maitre D and slip him some Jackson's to see if he can accommodate you. 8 IMO is the high water mark for people going to dinner.

With freestyle you can go there at any time 7-8 is the rush hour so to speak...

freestyle means you can go at anytime during the open hours for dinner 5:30- 9:30(watch the paper times vary slightly). there are no fixed tables and no fixed times. You can sometimes work out with the manager the equivalent of fixed times. I'll be here everynight with 4 at 8 can you seat us with the same waiter and table each night...etc.... sometimes they will just say come back at 8. I think the ship you are on has more than one freeestyle dinning room so you can have your choice of these if you want to... does that help?

We are used to the assigned dining concept. Hubby was remarking that he likes to sit with the same people. BUT I said it was a new adventure and that it was alot like lunch, when we went to the main dining room and had lunch, we walked in and we were at a different table every day and meet different people. I hope he likes it.

Thanks

My Mom & I just got back from the Spirit.

We ate in Windows (free dining room) every night. Big dining times are between 7 - 8. Don't be discouraged if there are lots of people waiting for tables. For a party of 2 we never had to wait more then 10 minutes even during these hours. They do ask you if you'd like to share a table. The one night we were chatting with folks and told the hostess we'd like to share a table with them there were tables for 2 being called out all over the place. We ended up getting a table for 2 quicker then for 4.

Dining attire seemed to be anything from jeans to evening gowns. We saw no one turned away for wearing jeans, though most didn't.

We had a meeting (thanks to fellow CC member cpayne) with the director of hotel services, bar & restaraunt and cruise director the first day at sea. They told us they knew that folks on the CC board were upset that "freestyle" did not mean you could wear jeans to dinner. They said people were getting mixed messages from their travel agents. Due to this they were relaxing the rules and letting people in wearing jeans. Yes, I guess they do look at this board.

Whatever you wear just enjoy the food and the wait staff and the Spirit. It's a great ship!

We were told that you could make reservations before 6:30 and after 8:30. We never waited longer than 20 minutes for a table for 4. Not bad if you compare it to mainland restaurants on a busy night. Forget the suit and the dress. I usually wore black pants with a nice shirt and my husband wore either jeans or dockers. We ate in the main restaurant 4 of the seven nights. 3 of the nights at the buffet because we weren't crazy about the menu in the Main restaurant. So, check out the menus daily.

regarding same table/waiter each night- This is what we do as we like having the same witer nightly. We see the maitre d' the first evening and make the request. Hubby tips him in advance,although I don't know if this is essential. Anyway,they have been happy to do this for us,but we had to be seated by 6 PM or after 8:30. If you want same table/waiter at 8PM,I don't think they can accomadate this.

As others have said,you do not have to dress up on any night.

On the ships with more than one dining room (such as the Spirit), do both dining rooms have the exact same menu for every meal?

Just wondering . . . .

For the most part, yes. I believe the only difference is how the food is prepared. I can't even swear to that, but have been told there is a slight difference.

NMNita

Has the freestyle cruising also done away with the shared tables? One of the things I had always enjoyed was having multiple parties at a table.

No, not at all, we dined with others all but the nights we ate in the alternative dining rooms. It was fun and we got to know more people than we would normally as we had different dinner companions each night.

The good thing: if you don't like your table mates you are not stuck for a week with them, but if you do hit it off you can plan to dine with them over again. NMNita

Archived