re zUIDERDAM 10.27.07

NYCBeach

I have several questions about the Zuiderdam and would appreciate hearing from you.

1. Can you preregister for the Culinary Arts Center Classes. I would very much like to participate and wondered if, like shore excursions this is possible.

2. I have a SZ guarantee. How long in advance can I expect to hear what my cabin assignment will be? I have been told by my on-line TA that I will find out at boarding time. I can't imagine how this works if you have luggage that needs to be tagged with a stateroom number. Has anyone had this experience? And I notice that there are only two SZ cabins on the ship. What have other people found their cabin assignments to be using the GUAR fare?

3. I am travelling solo and would ideally not like assigned seating so that I can eat when I wish and alone if possible. The As You Wish feature has not been introduced fleetwide. Can anyone who has travelled on the ship alone tell me how they handled their dining experience.

4. Is it possible to eat at the bar at the Pinnacle Grill? Has anyone been able to "walk in" and sit at the bar?

5. Is is possible to cruise on the Zuiderdam and be left pretty much alone? (Before you say anything, please understand I am really looking for some alone time which is why I am going solo on this cruise.)

I'd appreicate hearing from you.

6. Finally, I read that a group from Biola Christian University will be on board. But going to their webiste yielded no information about their participitation in the cruise. Does anyone know why they'd show up on the (excellent) groups list posted here and not anywhere else? I read with some dismay that large groups are often given over public room spaces and sort of ruin it for everyone else.

Thanks! NYCBeach

1. Can you preregister for the Culinary Arts Center Classes. I would very much like to participate and wondered if, like shore excursions this is possible.

Can't help you there.

2. I have a SZ guarantee. How long in advance can I expect to hear what my cabin assignment will be? I have been told by my on-line TA that I will find out at boarding time. I can't imagine how this works if you have luggage that needs to be tagged with a stateroom number. Has anyone had this experience? And I notice that there are only two SZ cabins on the ship. What have other people found their cabin assignments to be using the GUAR fare?

You may hear a bit earlier than your boarding - but unfortunately you never know - I'd expect to find out at boarding, but hope you get lucky and find out sooner. Re: the cabin assignment - Expect that you will get exactly your category, as that is most likely...there is some chance with the SZ, being as there are so few, that you may end up in an SY instead - which is essentially the same.

3. I am travelling solo and would ideally not like assigned seating so that I can eat when I wish and alone if possible. The As You Wish feature has not been introduced fleetwide. Can anyone who has travelled on the ship alone tell me how they handled their dining experience.

I tend to like the fixed seating myself - having a scheduled time works better for me. However, the bottom part of the dining room will be for open seating, and I would imagine you would not have any problems getting your requested seating. Sitting alone might be a little tough every night if the ship is sold out though...then again you can always eat in Lido on some nights if you want to be alone - no problems at all up there getting a table all to yourself.

4. Is it possible to eat at the bar at the Pinnacle Grill? Has anyone been able to "walk in" and sit at the bar?

Can't help you on this one.

5. Is is possible to cruise on the Zuiderdam and be left pretty much alone? (Before you say anything, please understand I am really looking for some alone time which is why I am going solo on this cruise.)

I'd appreicate hearing from you.

Definately. This won't be a problem. Though I do cruise often with a relative or friend in my cabin, and often with friends on the ship with me in their own cabin, I still enjoy plenty of solitude when I cruise. Zuiderdam has less announcements, less daytime activities occurring in every room, and lots of space with noone in it - so finding your own quiet nook - sometimes even an entire room to yourself - is a cinch. Of course, in an SZ/SY cabin, you also have a wonderful balcony to spend some quiet alone time too...in case you ever have a problem finding a quiet spot.

6. Finally, I read that a group from Biola Christian University will be on board. But going to their webiste yielded no information about their participitation in the cruise. Does anyone know why they'd show up on the (excellent) groups list posted here and not anywhere else? I read with some dismay that large groups are often given over public room spaces and sort of ruin it for everyone else.

Though large groups can sometimes take over a lounge or other room during a cruise, it fortunately doesn't happen too often. Hopefully for you, the fact that they have no information on their site means they are not a dominantly large group, and may not have plans to hold activities for their group on the ship. Sometimes, large groups just book the cruise, but don't host their own activities.

Hope that helps!

1) You cannot preregister for the Culinary School. Make this a priority, upon boarding.

2) You may be assigned a cabin at any point between now and boarding. Keep checking the HAL Web site for cabin assignment.

3) The Zuiderdam is not scheduled for open seating until 3/08. You will be assigned to a seating and table. If you prefer more flexibility, you can dine in the LIDO, in your cabin or in the Pinnacle Grill, by reservation.

4) I am not aware of a bar within the confines of the Pinnacle Grill. Did I miss this? Someone will chime in.

5) No problem with alone time. Your cabin will be the ultimate haven for quiet time. There are also many places onboard that will allow you to escape.

6) I don't know anything about the group, mentioned. Groups are posted as CC members become aware of them. It is possible they had an option and cancelled it. It is possible they have 8 cabins. It is possible they have 500 cabins. It is unlikely that HAL or any cruise line is going to disclose this but your T/A has nothing to lose by asking if any large groups will be onboard.

I do not agree that groups are often given exclusive access to otherwise public places but it may happen. The best example I can come up with is the 6/17 sailing on the Noordam that contained many groups, one as large as 500. No one, outside the group, was aware of them. Your experience may vary. Given you value your alone time, I think it unlikel you would want to be in the same place where a group might congregate.

I hope your cruise is everything you want it to be.

How great of you to write back! And thank you for your help. Do you have any idea how many classes will be offered at the Culinary Arts Center? There's no celebrity chef aboard this voyage. And also, could you tell me if I request a small table, will I get one or does the thought of a single man immediately mean you're going to be fodder for a big one?

Thanks again.

... 3. I am travelling solo and would ideally not like assigned seating so that I can eat when I wish and alone if possible. The As You Wish feature has not been introduced fleetwide. Can anyone who has travelled on the ship alone tell me how they handled their dining experience.

6. Finally, I read that a group from Biola Christian University will be on board. But going to their webiste yielded no information about their participitation in the cruise. Does anyone know why they'd show up on the (excellent) groups list posted here and not anywhere else? ... Thanks! NYCBeach

... the bottom part of the dining room will be for open seating, and I would imagine you would not have any problems getting your requested seating. Sitting alone might be a little tough every night if the ship is sold out though...then again you can always eat in Lido on some nights if you want to be alone - no problems at all up there getting a table all to yourself....

Though large groups can sometimes take over a lounge or other room during a cruise, it fortunately doesn't happen too often. Hopefully for you, the fact that they have no information on their site means they are not a dominantly large group, and may not have plans to hold activities for their group on the ship. Sometimes, large groups just book the cruise, but don't host their own activities....

Zackiedawg, you may have missed the fact that NYCBeach is going on Zuiderdam before AYW dining is implemented. So NYCBeach, as Hammybee says, your choices for solo dining - unless you can get them to assign you a two-top to yourself (can't hurt to ask) - are to try to get a table to yourself in the Lido; reserve and pay at the Pinnacle (which has a bar with the same name, but I don't think they serve food there - but don't really know); or order room service and eat in your room or on your veranda, which sounds to me like the nicest choice. Room service dinner can be ordered from the dining room menu, not just the room service menu, but you need to place the order within half an hour after the DR opens. Delivery time can be later, but the order needs to go in during that time window.

As for groups, the kind person who maintains the group list may have gotten the info in any number of ways, so the fact that there's nothing about it on the website doesn't necessarily mean anything one way or the other - though it may tend to indicate that the group is on the small side. And look on the bright side - at least with a group of this nature, you probably don't have to worry about wild drunken late-night parties! :D

Enjoy your cruise. I can really relate to the desire for some alone time, and this sounds like a wonderful way to obtain it. Hope you return refreshed and reinvigorated.

How great of you to write back! And thank you for your help. Do you have any idea how many classes will be offered at the Culinary Arts Center? There's no celebrity chef aboard this voyage. And also, could you tell me if I request a small table, will I get one or does the thought of a single man immediately mean you're going to be fodder for a big one?

Thanks again.

I think the class holds about 15 people and the price is reasonable, thus the competition.

It's probably too late to request a table for two but it can't hurt to have your T/A give it a shot. Most solo passengers seem to prefer a large table at fixed seating and this is probably how HAL assigns them. When you board, you will receive your dining room assignment. When you do, and if it's not to your liking, go to the Dining Room and seek out the Manager and request a change. There is no guarantee, but if you don't ask, you don't get.

If per chance you get upgraded to a Deluxe Suite with Neptune Lounge privledges, you can ask the staff in the lounge to intercede on your behalf which may help.

Thanks for the clarification...I did miss that somehow. He's actually going just before me (Nov 10)...so looks like Lido will be the best option.

That is good news. Sorry, even though I am a made member of an Espiscopal Church, my idea of a good time is not one found around bible thumpers wiht narrow minds. And you just have to go to their website to know what I mean! Thanks for sharing.

I think the class holds about 15 people and the price is reasonable, thus the competition.

It's probably too late to request a table for two but it can't hurt to have your T/A give it a shot. Most solo passengers seem to prefer a large table at fixed seating and this is probably how HAL assigns them. When you board, you will receive your dining room assignment. When you do, and if it's not to your liking, go to the Dining Room and seek out the Manager and request a change. There is no guarantee, but if you don't ask, you don't get.

If per chance you get upgraded to a Deluxe Suite with Neptune Lounge privledges, you can ask the staff in the lounge to intercede on your behalf which may help.

Dear Hammybee, thanks for your help. I'll let everyone know what happens.

Best, NYCBeach

NYCBeach, we are taking the Zuiderdam repositioning cruise out of Vancouver Sept29th and also have booked a SZ guarantee and with only 8 days to go we have yet to receive our cabin assignment, so, if we get our assignment before we leave (going to go a day early in case we get caught up in some airport SNAFU) will let you know.

Infrequentcruisers

I have several questions about the Zuiderdam and would appreciate hearing from you.

I called about this too as I am very interested in doing this.

From what I understand these are usually offered on at Sea days.

There are small classes of 12- 15 and I think they are more "hands on" --- and given by the chefs from Pinnacle Grille.

UNLESS -- there is a guest chef on board that week.

You should check on that for your cruise.

We said on the same ship just a few weeks after you do and we have a guest chef from Seattle -- I'm told that in this case you still have to sign up but its more of a large demo set up --- so many people can go and they have the demo mirrors set up so everyone can see.

I was told to make my reservation as soon as I board the ship -- along with everything else I'm supposed to HURRY UP and sign up for -- including spa, hair appts., Pinnacle Grille, etc. etc.

I'm really looking forward to the culinary class -- have you heard anything about the wine tasting classes? I'm not sure when those are offered if at all.

It does sound like you rin like the dickens the minute you get on the ship!

So much for a relaxing experience. I am going to try and pre-register. I don't about the wine tastings. But about the wine card--the $40.00 and change card for the 10 glasses of wine? Have you bought one and can they only be purchased in advance. I too love wine and that sounds like a reasonable deal --especially for a single traveller.

All best, NYCBeach

Hello NYC Beach,

My partner and I are as well on your sailing! We have a Guarantee Deluxe Suite and can not wait as well, what we will end up with. Most propably you will be upgarded in the same category, but as well could jump up to the next!

We want some quiet time as well and I do totally understand you! Just ask very friendly and I'm sure you can have dinner at the Pinnacle Bar...I just can not imagine, if we would not get a table for 2! I guess that means for us Lido, too! I hate to interact with people I do not really have a connection with...it is just fake! I had the worst experiences on QE2, where I left crying the table....so much for vacation! The good thing on HAL...as you are in a Superior Suite yourself...you have space and even have course by course served to your cabin!

The culinary classes are fun or no fun...it depends to the chef! I'm not sure yet, but my partner is bugging me! I rather lay in the sun and have a drink! I coock most of the time here and I could propably throw a class myself with my skills.

I just hope...we have the similar concerns...we will enjoy our trip on the Zuiderdam!

Marcus

Nice to know that you will be on the ship as well. Actually I don't plan on eating dinner at the Lido and get quite a kick out of the responders who have included the information that I can eat there in shorts! I can't imagine not wanting to enjoy the whole cruise experience and being so anti-social that you'd want to slink into the Lido in shorts to have dinner! I am sure I can do better than that. I have booked the Pinnacle Grill for 2 dinners and think the dinner on the Veranda sounds like a wonderful idea.

I am now looking forward to the Winetasting as well as the Culinary ARts program. I look forward to seeing you on board.

NYCBeach.

Thanks so much Candbgirl and what an itneresting screen name that is! I thank you for telling me about your sister's experience with the winetasting. I have 'done' several wine tours in South America --Chile and Argentina--and they really are fascinating. I hope the tastings are too. Again, thanks for your post.

NYC Beach

I was searching daily programs for the wine tasting functions and came across these. They were all at-sea days on Zuiderdams eastern caribbean sailings.

This was from a daily program in 2005:

Day 3 - 2:00 pm

Wine Tasting (nominal fee) Vista Dining Room

These were from a November 2006 program:

Day 3 - 2:00 pm

Premium Wine Tasting Pinnacle Grill

Day 7 - 2:00 pm

Premium Wine Tasting Pinnacle Grill

How thoughtful of you to go to the trouble of digging these up! I wonder how 'nominal' the fee was?

My mom and I did a wine tasting on a Celebrity ship and it was $10. It they're not using premium wines I doubt they could get away with charging much more.

Hello NYC Beach,

We are also going to be on your sailing. I know that you stated that you would like to enjoy some alone time but if you wish to attend our meet & greet check out the roll call for the time and location. We have a lady that has made our arrangements for us. See you there.

Missygirl

Archived