Valencia

Valencia was one of our favourite ports on a transatlantic cruise we took this spring. Its a beautiful city and IMHO highly underrated.

There is a tourist info booth in the port terminal who can provide you with maps, info, etc... That was our first stop. There's not much in the way of interesting sights within walking distance of the port.

We took a shuttle out of the port, then a city bus into the centre. Buses are regular, clean and cheap - something like 1.10 euro and drivers provide change if needed. In the city centre are shops, restaurants, cafes, plazas... We ended up doing a hop-on-hop-off bus tour for an hour or so, then relaxed in a sidewalk cafe.

There are also some new museums not too far from the port, but not really within walking distance, designed by Santiago Calatrava. They looked interesting, but we didn't have enough time to take them in.

Thank you, KT32 for your helpful information. I understand that the area around the museums you mentioned is not too far from the port. I was hoping we could walk there. Where does the shuttle that goes out of the port leave you off? We arrive at 1pm and I am trying to figure out how to plan the day. I thought we would start off (or end up!) walking around the science centre. I guess we would like to see the old part of the city, and maybe shop a little. I don't thin there will be time to visit museums. It is a good idea to plan it with the tourist office. Were they helpful or did you just take a map and brochures?

Thanks

You cannot walk there in a reasonable amount of time. It is a 45-60 minute walk through a not particularly great area with little of interest. The bus is very easy (15 minutes and maybe 2 euros)or a cab is very inexpensive to the museum area which is spectacular ! The old part of Valencia is also very interesting and a cab ride from the new museum area is several euros, probably 10-12 euros from the port. To do both in an afternoon would be very difficult so I would pick one or the other. We spent several days there last April and Valencia was just wonderful, I will gladly go back.

You cannot walk there in a reasonable amount of time. It is a 45-60 minute walk through a not particularly great area with little of interest. The bus is very easy (15 minutes and maybe 2 euros)or a cab is very inexpensive to the museum area which is spectacular ! The old part of Valencia is also very interesting and a cab ride from the new museum area is several euros, probably 10-12 euros from the port. To do both in an afternoon would be very difficult so I would pick one or the other. We spent several days there last April and Valencia was just wonderful, I will gladly go back.

I figured we would walk around the museum area, but not visit the interiors. In that case, would it still be impossible to do that and go to the old town? Is there another interesting area closer than the old town? Where is the best shopping? Thanks.

The port shuttle let us off just outside the port entrance, across the street from the city bus stop. You could either take a cab to the museums or take a bus. If you just want to see the outside, take the bus, then head into dowtown. There isn't much in the way of shopping super close to the museums, so I'd agree to either go to the centre or the museums.

We had the same dilemma with limited time and since the weather was nice, we did the hop on hop off bus to see the key sites (including the outside of the museums which is amazing modern architecture) and then spent the afternoon hanging out in the centre.

http://www.turisvalencia.es/index.aspx?idioma=EN

This is the official tourism site, which has some good info too.

YOU could take the bus or a cab to the museums, spend about an hour walking about to get a feel of the area and see the buildings themselves without going inside and then go the the old part of the city. MOst shopping is there and restaurants that feature true Valenciana food (paella). I never knew ther ewere several types of paella. Take the time to eat in one of the restaurants in old town. You cannot have that experience or that meal anywhere else in Spain or any other port.

Archived