Help with planning...parking, traffic, etc..

mbe30

I've been reading all of the great advice that you've all given about this island. It will be my first time here, so I'd like to see as much as possible. I'd really like to rent a car, spend some time at Mullet Bay (any opinions on this beach?), or Orient Bay, do some shopping and have lunch in Marigot, then head back to Philipsburg for shopping. My concern is the parking at Marigot, and the traffic back from the French side to the Dutch side. Has anyone had any experiences with finding parking (or finding none at all) in Marigot? As for the ride back from the French to the Dutch side, how long does it take, and what sort of traffic do you encounter? There will be three ships in port that day, and we leave at 5pm. How long should I allow myself to make it back and return the car? Thanks in advance!

We love Orient. FYI, most of the stores in Marigot are closed between noon and 2 or 3 pm, so lunch time for food would be no problem, but shopping, not so much. How about shopping in Marigot first, then lunch either in Marigot or head to Orient and find a spot at one of the restaurant/bar "areas," rent an umbrella and loungers, have lunch (Baywatch is great, IMO), and "park it" for at least a few hours on the beach. Then, if you feel you really want to, leave Orient between 2:30 and 3, and head to Philipsburg for shopping. (We'd skip the shopping in Philipsburg or do it really early before heading to Marigot, but we're not really shoppers. I think you'd have plenty of shopping opportunities in Marigot.)

I don't know how long it takes to get to Marigot from Philipsburg (maybe 30 minutes?); from Marigot to Orient, I think maybe also 30 minutes?; Orient to Philipsburg in the afternoon, also 30 minutes depending on traffic, etc. (These are guestimates because we use taxis, so I don't really pay that much attention. We left Orient at about 4:15 and were in Philipsburg by 4:45.)

Sorry, no info on parking in Marigot. I know there's parking at Orient, but I don't really know where the public spots are. There are tons of taxis at the Pedro's/Baywatch area and at the Bikini area, but that doesn't help much.

beachchick

is usually easy. Lots of free lots near the port areas and street parking in town. Never had a problem in 6 trips there. P'burg is another story. No parking on Front street and very little on back street. There is a pay lot in the center of town and it is usually full by 9 am. I usually pick up the car at the pier, drive to P'burg and hope for a space. Shop until about 11 then drive up to Marigot for lunch by the water and then wander around town and hit the Match supermarket for French Rhums and cognac and then back to the ship via Grande Case, Oyster Pond and stop at the overlook above Orient. We don't stop there any more as the beach is filled with bodies that are as bad as ours in the mirror. Not worth paying $20 for lounges at Club Orient for less than an hour.

Archived