Avis Resevations for Whittier now available

LaRue1975

Just wanted to give everyone a heads up. This was the first day in a long time I have not checked the Avis site first thing in the morning and the mini vans and SUVs are already sold out for our date July 23.:mad:

I checked the website late in the day yesterday so I know the bookings have been open less than 24 hours, amazing they could sell out that quickly. They still have plenty of compact and intermediate cars but there are four of us and I think we will need something bigger.

Thanks goodness we had pretty much decided on taking a transfer to Anchorage and picking our van up there. I did end up getting a good deal on one from Alamo so we are set for our fours days on the Kenai Peninsula. I can't wait!!!:D

I've been waiting for these reservations to open up but after checking them today - HOLY COW ARE THEY EXPENSIVE! :eek:

I checked the rate for an intermediate size vehicle for 3 days. The base rate was $312 and then there was a surcharge of $87.95 plus a one-way drop off fee of $100 and then an additional tax of $41.15 for a grand total of $541.10 for a three day rental. That is without any of the added liability coverage or anything.

I think we'll stick to the plan of renting from Alamo for $165 and then taking it back up to Anchorage to drop off and catching a shuttle down to Whittier. I know it's Alaska, but Avis's base rate is more than twice as much as Alamo and then to have $229.10 in surcharges and fees is crazy. - SF

I've been waiting for these reservations to open up but after checking them today - HOLY COW ARE THEY EXPENSIVE! :eek:

I checked the rate for an intermediate size vehicle for 3 days. The base rate was $312 and then there was a surcharge of $87.95 plus a one-way drop off fee of $100 and then an additional tax of $41.15 for a grand total of $541.10 for a three day rental. That is without any of the added liability coverage or anything.

I think we'll stick to the plan of renting from Alamo for $165 and then taking it back up to Anchorage to drop off and catching a shuttle down to Whittier. I know it's Alaska, but Avis's base rate is more than twice as much as Alamo and then to have $229.10 in surcharges and fees is crazy. - SF

Not only is there a drop-off fee but the base rate is more for the one-way rentals as well. Another way to compare is a 2 day rental for pick up and return in Anchorage (any company though Avis would be convenient) then a one day, one-way rental from Anchorage to Whittier. That might or might not end up being cheaper.

John

• 4 weeks later...

I checked today with Avis and the estimated fare for a 4 day 22 hour intermediate car from Anchorage airport and then drop off there was $ $342. To do the one way drop off at Whittier jumped the price to $817:eek:

I think we will be taking the train on our June 2nd 2008 departure.

• 2 weeks later...

How much is the transfer from Whittier to Anchorage airport? I just started looking into taking an Alaska cruise. Havent decided on Princess or Carnival but, I caught this thread. Looking at these amounts for car rentals I was wondering what is the shuttle transfer price? Thanks

Liz

I have looked at this quite a bit trying to decide on a one-way rental, SUV, large car, etc. I looked at several transfer options and found that it runs between $35 - $62 depending on which line (including smaller companies), bus, or rail if you are buying a per person one way price between Anchorage and Whittier. We decided to do the transfer just to make it easier.

Archived