Singapore to Hong Kong in December

LarryHal

Shore excursion info just arrived for this trip. I would appreciate advice that anyone would have concerning the ship's excursions.

Also, any thoughts regarding restaurants in Singapore, Bangkok, Ho Chi Minh City or Hong Kong would be greatly appreciated.

Shore excursion info just arrived for this trip. I would appreciate advice that anyone would have concerning the ship's excursions.

Also, any thoughts regarding restaurants in Singapore, Bangkok, Ho Chi Minh City or Hong Kong would be greatly appreciated.

We did this cruise in April this year so I would be happy to answer any questions you have. We really enjoyed the kayaking excursion in Ho Chi Minh (Haulong Bay). They keep the numbers for this excursion to about 12 - 16. We took a large wooden boat to some caves first and then had a wonderful lunch prepared on board. The kayaking was very easy and not as daunting as it sounds but such a great way to see the bay. I have posted a full review of our cruise along with pictures so if you are interested have a look back in this forum so you can read it and get my thoughts. They were much fresher back when I wrote the review.

I did mention a wonderful restaurant that was recommended by the chef on board that we visited in Saigon. I would highly recommend the chef's tours to the markets. Sign up early as they fill up quickly. I included pictures of this experience in my review also.

There was great debate about taking the tour to Ankor Wat but in the end for my husband and myself living in Australia this is a very easy one week holiday so we decided to do it as a separate trip. However others who did the tour loved it and were very glad they took the opportunity to see such a spectacular temple. It does mean that you miss out on Bangkok and that would be such a shame as there is so much to see and do in Bangkok.

Please ask any question that you have and I will happily try to answer them.

• 1 month later...

We are on this sailing. I've been researching restaurants on Tripadvisor and other sites, so I hope the following is helpful. (Nothing for Singapore; after an 18-hour nonstop from LAX we are just going to crash in the hotel for the duration before going to the ship!)

Bangkok: Jim Thompson House (lunch); Pen; Cabbages and Condoms; Fisherman Seafood Restaurant; Harmonique (dinner); Bang Klan Nam; Blue Elephant.

Ho Chi Minh City: Camargue; Cool Saigon

Hong Kong: Restaurant Petrus and Felix (both high-end, world class); Man Wah (lunch, in the Mandarin Oriental); Lung King Heen (Four Seasons); China Lan Kwai Fong; Che's Cantonese Restaurant; Cafe Deco (up at the Peak); Red Ant; Veggie Xp.

Hanoi is a bit of a challenge. Despite the Hanoi day tour's being filled, who would want to spend 10 hours mostly in a minibus? A suggestion from this forum was to leave the ship immediately for a hotel in Hanoi, but it is a 2-3 hour trip into the city, and returning the next day doesn't give much quality time. My partner and I have instead opted for the Halong Bay cruise; we can return to Hanoi as a destination one day.

Finally, we think the Cultural Evening in Saigon, or HCMC, will be a bit contrived, so we'll opt for dining on our own or with a small group from the ship. The Presart Museum in Bangkok is on lur list.

Hope this is useful.

troonster49

Carmague was the restaurant we were recommended by the chef and it was wonderful.

The Presart Museum was a highlight for us and a must do. As I mentioned we did the kayaking in Haulong Bay and is not as difficult as it may appear and much better than just doing the Bay trip as you really do get to see more this way. Don't be put off by the Kayaking, there really was only about 45 minutes and it was not at all physically challenging. I was a bit worried as I had never done any kayaking and the tour made it sound like you would be kayaking for hours but this was not the case at all. More like gentle river paddling.

Archived