Tip for Arizonans to the Port in San Pedro

kevmoley

I have not tried this yet but will on December 2nd, 2007 and will write back any changes or difficulties I have not foreseen when I wrote this.

A really cheap way to get from Phoenix Arizona to the Port of Los Angeles in San Pedro.

I suggest you leave a day earlier then your cruise (as you should be anyway unless you are flying and even then, you may want to leave a day earlier too)

1- Try the new bus service out of Tempe called Megabus. The earlier you book the cheaper the cost of your travel. For instance, book several months in advance and pay only $1.00 per seat plus .25 cents per seat reservation fee (http://megabus.com/us/) wait till last minute and the cost will go up to around $20.00 per seat.

2- Megabus will leave you off at Union Station, Los Angeles. Here is where you want to catch a metro bus. MetroBus 445 from Patsaouras Plaza in Union Station/ Bus Bay # 7 and goto Pacific Ave. and 7th street (total cost $2.45 per person) (http://www.mta.net/default.asp)

Also, this bus route appears to go down Gaffey Street in San Pedro where there are 2 hotels to stay over night at:

a-Holiday Inn

111 S. Gaffey Street

San Pedro, California 90731

(310) 514 1414

www.ichotelsgroup.com

(around 99.00* per night)

b- Vagabond Inn

215 Gaffey St S

San Pedro, CA 90731

(310) 831 8911

www.vagabondinn.com

(around 69.00* per night)

* based on rates for December 2nd, 2007.

The Vagabond Inn provides FREE shuttle service to the port for overnight customers as well as FREE continental breakfast with daily paper. The Holiday Inn charges $5.00 for shuttle service and no free breakfast but they do have a restaurant that opens at 6:00am.

I hope this helps some people out and I will update any new info I get (hotel cleanliness, extra walking needed and total time used to make trp) after my cruise in December.

My concern about taking a bus from downtown (or any city bus here in the Los Angeles area) is that you may have trouble dealing with your luggage. The city buses (and even the Metrolink) are basically for those without cars to get around (for example, to and from work) or people like my mil, who just doesn't want to bother with driving her car to go to a mall or museum (and she's just taking her purse to hold her knitting and a little $).

Better to look into a shuttle service (say, supershuttle.com) or bite the bullet and hire a taxi. Those are more compatible with taking luggage.

My concern about taking a bus from downtown (or any city bus here in the Los Angeles area) is that you may have trouble dealing with your luggage. The city buses (and even the Metrolink) are basically for those without cars to get around (for example' date=' to and from work) or people like my mil, who just doesn't want to bother with driving her car to go to a mall or museum (and she's just taking her purse to hold her knitting and a little $).

Better to look into a shuttle service (say, supershuttle.com) or bite the bullet and hire a taxi. Those are more compatible with taking luggage.[/quote']

A very good point for those with longer trips than the 3 days I am taking.. I would suggest taking Amtrak for $17.00 from Union Station to the ports..

Archived