is an msc cruise for me?

danceman

ive just come back off the costa serena.....nearly 3500 Italiens and 150 English speaking! Our kids hated the kids club because they were the only English speaking in it and everything was of course in Italien. Does anyone know what the passenger mix is on MSC as im attracted by the free children offers but dont want the overcrowded and push and shove atmosphere all Italien atmosphere we've just had?

Is it any good for kids?....i have triplet 7 year old girls.

Hi Danceman - just saw your post & felt I had to respond. Just went on a 1 week cruise out of Venice and here's the positive - ship is beautiful, clean and food was good ..... but if I had children with me (we are American) I would not recommend it. There were mostly Italians on ship and tons of kids .. we thought they would be in school at this time, but apparently Italy starts later than U.S. We were 4 adults and I must say that even though I am of Italian descent, the "real" Italians were rather rude. Kids were running a bit wild, noisy and no parent intervention that we could see. Elevator doors were never held and there was never an "excuse me" when warranted. Loved the ship, the excursions were wonderful, but it's not for you with kids. Choose an American cruise line like Royal Caribbean, etc. You cannot beat the price and value of MSC (that's why we chose it) but you would have to entertain your kids yourself, I think.

We have recently returned from a Baltic Cruise on MSC Lirica. Loved the ship and the ports. Our boys are a little older, 19 and 13 and they had a superb time, but didn't use the kids clubs. (Our youngest had a peep in on the first day, but all was quiet. There were very few children on our sailing though.)

It's true, there were few English (I'm from the UK) and Americans on board, but there was a much more balanced mix, if anything I'd say there were more Germans, but there were also French, Spanish and Russians as well as Italian passengers, no nationality seemed to dominate. All announcements were made in English first, & English was the main language spoken by the cruise staff.

We chose MSC for the price, the itinerary and the sailing dates. It was a last minute booking. We wouldn't normally be able to afford cruising as a family as my eldest is a student and there is only my husband working. We had such a wonderful time that as soon as we came back, we booked another for next year, sailing from Venice.

I'm now beginning to think that was something of a mistake though..sailing from Italy!!!!! However I've decided to concentrate on the ship & the ports and shut my ears to the Italians. We'll be making our own arrangements at the ports & I'm sure the experience will be wonderful.

To answer your question. I think it comes down to the itinerary. If sailing in Europe, particularly in the Med, then I agree with the above poster & it's probably not for you & your children. If sailing from the US/Mexico/Caribbean etc, then perhaps it's worth a shot as I would guess the passengers would likely be predominately American.

We have recently returned from a Baltic Cruise on MSC Lirica. Loved the ship and the ports. Our boys are a little older, 19 and 13 and they had a superb time, but didn't use the kids clubs. (Our youngest had a peep in on the first day, but all was quiet. There were very few children on our sailing though.)

It's true, there were few English (I'm from the UK) and Americans on board, but there was a much more balanced mix, if anything I'd say there were more Germans, but there were also French, Spanish and Russians as well as Italian passengers, no nationality seemed to dominate. All announcements were made in English first, & English was the main language spoken by the cruise staff.

We chose MSC for the price, the itinerary and the sailing dates. It was a last minute booking. We wouldn't normally be able to afford cruising as a family as my eldest is a student and there is only my husband working. We had such a wonderful time that as soon as we came back, we booked another for next year, sailing from Venice.

I'm now beginning to think that was something of a mistake though..sailing from Italy!!!!! However I've decided to concentrate on the ship & the ports and shut my ears to the Italians. We'll be making our own arrangements at the ports & I'm sure the experience will be wonderful.

To answer your question. I think it comes down to the itinerary. If sailing in Europe, particularly in the Med, then I agree with the above poster & it's probably not for you & your children. If sailing from the US/Mexico/Caribbean etc, then perhaps it's worth a shot as I would guess the passengers would likely be predominately American.

You've said just what i was thinking.....i think i'll give it a miss. Thanks for the info.

danceman.

I think you are probably right. It's just occured to me though, the Poesia's inaugural trip is sailing from Dover, I should think this one would be OK.

Travel on board of the MSC Poesia. Departing from Dover and calls to Cork, Lisbon, Barcelona, Barcelona, Civitavecchia/Rome, Naples, Messina, Dubrovnik, Venice.

I could be tempted with this one, but it sails on 6th April, too early probably for both of us.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Archived