Is a balcony worth it?

coley123

Thanks to everyone that responded. We ended up switching to the five day cruise leaving on Oct 14 and the only rooms available were balconies...so we've decided to invest the dough and now can't wait to enjoy our splurge!

I have just read all the posts on this thread, and was just about to give you my to penny worth...when I find you have changed to a balcony any way.....and nothing any one said was an influence one way or another... because all that was left were balconys. LOL ...:D

Balcony cabins are to each his own. We have done OV port holes, inside, balcony, and OV.

The OV is a little larger than the Balcony. If you are one to sit on the balcony, then yes, it is worth it. But we found we were seldom on the balcony, and did not see the worth in it.

If you like to stay in your cabin, they it is worth it. But if you are seldom in your cabin, then it is not worth it.

It is all in how you feel about "How much time will I actually be in my cabin?" "Is it worth the extra money for the length of time I will be out there?"

Write down the pro's and cons of a balcony.

Fresh air, anytime sitting outside, private space.

con's money spent for nothing because I plan on being on deck all the time.

things like that.

But IT IS ALL UP TO YOU, AND WHAT YOU PREFER.

I thought OV wasn't really worth it. And I happen to LOVE an nice, dark inside cabin when I'm sleeping.

I am afraid that this upcoming balcony cruise will "ruin" me. We'll see. I booked it because it was only marginally more expensive than inside.

I just wish I could afford an aft wraparound suite! No those look like they might be worth the money!

I don't know, do you have a yard at your house? or a porch or deck?

If you have no desire to sit outside when you are in one of the most beautiful places in the world, with perfect temperatures, beautiful sunrises, sunsets (with the green flash, if you are really lucky) and fabulous stars at night than you probably do not need a balcony.

Now we like to sleep late so we have never seen the sunrises, but we always have a set order for coffee at 8AM which we love to have on the balcony. We both love to sit on the balcony at different times during the day with a frosty glass of iced tea while we read. And our favorite time is at night, after all of our evening activities are over, to sit and watch the stars and sea with a lovely glass of wine.

We have talked of saving some money and not getting a balcony - but in the end we have never been willing to give it up.

I agree with this post. We have only cruised twice (both Caribbean) and each time had suites with balconies. This time, our budget is more restricted, so we were first going to do an inside, then an OV, but decided a couple of days ago, that for around $100.00 pp, we would downsize on shore excursions and got our balcony after all; but not a suite. I actually did not realize that there were cabins with balconies that were non-suites until a few days ago.

One primary reason I don't think I can do without it is the fact that I wake up a lot in the night, and like to sit out on the balcony, relax, then go back to bed. As we will have three in our room, I don't know where I would go during this time; plus, I like the ability to step outside to check out the weather first thing in the morning, have coffee, and used to smoke, although that habit is thankfully reformed.

I would not, however, forgo the cruise just because I could not get the balcony.

A balcony is really worth it, especially at Glacier Bay. No need to line up at crowded railing on outside promanade deck or crowded observation lounge. Holland America turns the ship around constantly at Glacier Bay so you can see best of all from your balcony and if necessary step back inside your cabin to warm up. I would highly recommend the HAL Ryndam. It's smaller than the Oosterdam and the Inside Passage cruise is round trip from Vancouver, British Columbia. The scenery is breathtaking all the way up and down. Hope you enjoy your cruise. I have done Alaska 3 times. Twice on the Statendam and once on the Ryndam. Only had the balcony the first time and it was really worth it. The 2nd cruise I put my husbands ashes to sea off the Statendam. The 3rd time I did it out of convenience since Vancouver is my home port and I didn't want the bother of flying. Have very little patience for airport security since 9-11. :)

WE went on our first cruise and booked an inside room on JOS and loved it. Then we booked a balcony on CB fro 3 times more money and hated it. In my opinion the ship makes the difference. We couldn't sit out much on our balcony becasue our neighbours were heavy smokers and always out there. We ordered breakfast on the balcony but had to sit inside. I have asthma.This cruise we saved lots of money on an inside room. We were never in our cabin that much. Actually we slept better inside, very quiet and soothing.Just our experience.

We are planning our first Alaska cruise in either Aug '08 or '09 and have been told it is an absolute must. The 7-day Bermuda cruise is docked 4 of the 7 days and a balcony would be really nice.

Other than those two ports, I'm not sure I would personally spring for the balcony. We are nonsmokers and spend very little time in the room. So for us, with the extra $500 pp we can pay the deposit for another cruise.

Whatever you decide, I hope that you will enjoy your cruise.

My first cruise when I went alone I had an inside cabin and had a great time.

The next cruise when I brought my girlfriend with me, we had a balcony and also had a great time!

My gf is my soon-to-be DW and for our honeymoon -- surprise, surprise -- going on a cruise! However, going forward, we're only doing balcony cabins because:

* She needs natural light and for a time reference when waking

* In warm places, sleeping with the balcony door open 6 inches

* Breakfast on the balcony every morning while watching the ocean or the port

* Being a heavy sleeper, an alarm clock isn't enough to wake me usually if the room is pitch black

* In warm places, the balcony becomes just another space to use while talking/getting ready for dinner/etc

With my inside cabin, I wasn't in my room much beyond sleeping/getting dressed because there wasn't much to do in there. With the balcony cabin, I did find myself in the room a bit more, making use of the space as it was there and very inviting!

For our upcoming honeymoon cruise, we got lucky with price drops and managed to upgrade to a Sky Suite with butler service -- we're really in trouble now! :)

Archived