Hawaii Questions

Cruzin Carol

Does anyone know the answers to these questions?

Why does RCI bus from San Diego to Ensenada instead of boarding in San Diego and then sailing to Ensenada? Ensenada meets the foreign port requirement.

Is it possible to make a 10:00 AM flight from Honolulu after the cruise?

What is the cab fare to the Honolulu airport from the pier?

Does RCI offer luggage valet in Honolulu.

Thanks

Cant answer the first question for you but I'm sure it's something to do with the law that governs it...can't remember the name of it but read about it on threads here.

Typically flights out of HNL are red-eyes or a really early flight and depending where you are flying too. We did Pearl Harbor after we got off the ship, had a nice dinner then went to the airport. I'm sure you wouldn't have any problems making a 10am flight, drive time even with construction was 15-20 min.

I was just there less than 2 weeks ago for a land vacation and taxi from the hotel which is near the port was about $40, of course they take you right through construction and don't avoid it to make more money!

Not sure about luggage valet in Honolulu, it was offered in Miami and San Juan so I'm sure they would have it arranged. We rented a car (cheaper than taxi) after we got off the ship, NCL didn't have luggage service and if they did I wouldn't have used it, they messed up on everything else.

The exact answer on the Ensenada question:

The law governing is the Passenger Services Act. A cruise from San Diego to Honolulu would be a one way cruise between two different US cities. On such a cruise, to satisfy the PSA, it would have to stop at a distant foreign port. The nearest distant foreign ports on the West coast are in South America or Fanning Island which is 2 days beyond Hawaii. Ensenada does not qualify. By starting the cruise in Ensenada, RCCL is avoiding having to go to a distant foreign port because the cruise now becomes a cruise between a foreign port and a US port (not transportation between two US ports).

On our Hawaii cruise last year, we sailed from San Diego, sailed to the islands, sailed back to Ensenada (stopped for 1 hr in the middle of the night), and then sailed up the coast to San Diego. This seems a lot more convenient than bussing passengers...at least for the passengers. :)

I can't answer your other questions.

Have fun...Hawaii is wonderful.

On our Hawaii cruise last year, we sailed from San Diego, sailed to the islands, sailed back to Ensenada (stopped for 1 hr in the middle of the night), and then sailed up the coast to San Diego. This seems a lot more convenient than bussing passengers...at least for the passengers. :)

Yeah, but you can only do that on the roundtrip cruises because those only have to make a foreign port stop per the PSA. The one way cruises just don't have a choice but to start in Ensenada.

Archived