Drivers or Private tours in Paris

betonic

I am sorry I do not know of any private drivers in Paris.

Paris is such a walkable city and if you had a driver, you would be stuck in a lot of traffic. We have always used our legs and just walked as it is quite flat except for the Montmartre area and then it is not really hilly.

Also the underground is so easy to use and quick that it would be a car anytime.

Jennie

The only thing is that we will be there for a very short time and we want to try and see as much as we can in the one full day that we have.

Do you think I should hire a driver to take me to the hotel from the airport? Or is it easy with a taxi?

The only thing is that we will be there for a very short time and we want to try and see as much as we can in the one full day that we have.

Do you think I should hire a driver to take me to the hotel from the airport? Or is it easy with a taxi?

You will NOT need a private driver in Paris as the other poster stated..you will be sitting in traffic more than naught.If you are there for one day..take the Hop/on Hop/off bus ( the light green one) as it has 3 routes all on one ticket,and you will see all the sights.There are audio headphones.If you see a sight you want to explore you can then get off see it,and get back on the next bus. if not stay on the bus,and do all 3 routes and then go back to one sight if you want. You can do a Seine River cruise as well.

As for getting into Paris from the airport there are a number of ways,but the easiest if you have not been there before is to take a taxi to your hotel.Please be warned...take ONLY a taxi that says Taxi Pariseanne(sp) on the top of the cab and no others!!! You will be bombarded with offers as you walk out the door and they are gypsy cabs and the rates are out of sight.It should cost you about 50€ for your ride.I can't stress this enough.

Depending on where your hotel is you also may be able to walk to some of the sights as well as use the bus.Yoou will find the stops everywhere and your hotel will be able to direct you.

Enjoy your stay!!!!:D

The fastest and easiest way to get around Paris is on the Metro- there are stations everywhere. EASY to use as each line is a color. The direction the train is going is the last stop in either direction !

Walking is excellent becaue so much of Paris is are the streetscapes, stopping in the patisserie, having an ice cream (it must be berthillion).

I have always taken the taxi from the airport with no issue, In fact once I put my two kids in a cab to my brothers apartment ALONE as there was a luggage problem at the airport.

Paris is largely a very safe, walkable city. Large busy metro stops may have the normal big city pickpockets but I have never run into this.

Figure out what highlights you want to see with the help of a map and make a plan or two.

How much time do you have ?

We're arriving Tuesday at 5pm and our flight home is Thursday at 2pm. We're staying at HOTEL LA TREMOILLE. I don't know much about it except that it's 5 star and not cheap. My travel agent says they have a good location and that I won't be disappointed. The pictures and reviews on the internet all look good.

I have read about the River Siene tour and it sounds like a nice way to get to see things. I actually researched the dinner cruise option but since we only have 2 nights I'd rather go to an awsome restaurant and order what I like as opposed to a fixed menu.

We live in Cancun, Mexico we are more than familar with taxi antics. Now that you all say it's easy, I think I'll just do the taxi thing. Go you know if it is much more expensive to arrange a car from the hotel? Is there some benefit to having someone waiting for us?

AS I said, MY CHILDREN did it. My son has a disabilty - they were about 10 and 12 at the time. There is a taxi line as you walk out. It is very organized and foolproof. The one time I had a car meet us was when I rented and apartment and we had to stop at the office to get the key. Also in Paris the taxis will only take 3 people at oince. even if they are KIDS. This would not happen in Mexico ! Can you imagine. THere was plenty of room. SO yes, if you are more than 2 people with a lot of luggage perhaps you could arrange for a car. But it can be a hassle if the timing is off, esp when the cab is so easy. It helps to get Euros at home at your bank our watever in advance, Your hotel can tell you what to expect in terms of fare, but i have yet to have anyone try and ripp me off.

You can read Fred's excellent ebook called anamericaninparis.com. It is loaded with good tips.

My husband and I once had a weekend in Paris and we saw a lot. I had been there several times on account of my brother living there.

What your interests are will dictate some of how you spend your limited time. The good news is that any fit person can get a good overview even with such limited time.

What month are you going ?

Hi,

I will be in Paris for an even shorter time, a layover of 7 hours. Since I have never been there, I would like to make the most of this time. Someone told me that the train (is this the metro??) at the airport takes you right into the heart of the city. Is this true? I hope to see Notre Dame, the Eifel Tower and hit a cafe for a bite. Do you think I can pull this off? We will only have our carry-ons, as our luggage will be checked through. I want to fit it all in, but I can not miss my connection. Any and all suggestions will gladly be appreciated.

Thanks,

Linny

Linny --

Paris Vision has a tour that includes a 1.5 hour bus ride past all the major sights of Paris, a 1 hour cruise on the Seine, and a trip up to the second level of the Eiffel Tower.

I believe the buses leave at 9 am, noon, and 3 pm. Depending on when you get off your plane and are able to get into the city, that might work. You can leave the tour at the Eiffel Tower and take a taxi directly from there to the airport.

Cher

We have always caught a taxi outside Charles de Gaulle airport each time we have arrived in Paris, no hassle and they have never tried to charge to much.

When we leave our hotel to return to the airport we ask the hotel to organize a taxi, again no hassle.

There is a freeway most of the way to and from the airport and the only trouble we have found is that the taxi drivers all think they are in Grand Prix and drive at around 190Km an hour, too fast for my liking!! It only takes about 30 minutes.

Jennie

We're going in the middle of October. Actually we're do the Splendor on October 2 to 9th and from there 2 nights in Venice and 2 nights in Paris. It actually started out as a layover like Linny so we decided to stay a couple of days to see Paris. How will the weather be? Anyone know?

You're right about the taxis in Mexico taking tons of people. We joke about it at my office that the Mexicans arrive in Cancun driving the VW bug with 5 kids and their gradparents too!!!!! And this a joke started by the Mexicans, lol! I love it here, you couldn't pay me to go back to work in the US.

The Paris Vision tour sounds like a nice way to see a lot in a short period of time.

We're going in the middle of October. Actually we're do the Splendor on October 2 to 9th and from there 2 nights in Venice and 2 nights in Paris. It actually started out as a layover like Linny so we decided to stay a couple of days to see Paris. How will the weather be? Anyone know?

You're right about the taxis in Mexico taking tons of people. We joke about it at my office that the Mexicans arrive in Cancun driving the VW bug with 5 kids and their gradparents too!!!!! And this a joke started by the Mexicans, lol! I love it here, you couldn't pay me to go back to work in the US.

The Paris Vision tour sounds like a nice way to see a lot in a short period of time.

Your hotel is in the 8th arr and you can walk down the Champs to the Place de Concord where you can catch the hop/on bus..I do not suggest doing Parisvision or Cityrama as they just drive by the sights where as the hop/on bus drives by, but you can get off if you wish and get the next bus.Also, I suggest doing the Seine cruise during the day,and just getting your ticket when you go to the boat so if you decide you don't want to do it nothing is lost.The dinner cruises are just ok as in the lights are pretty,but the food could be better.I often go to Paris in late Oct.,and I have been there when it ihas been really warm during the day and cool at night,and other times it has been down right cold so layers are the best way to go. If you want to have dinner at a really nice and $$$ restaurant I would suggest Taillevant or Jules Verne.I would also suggest you make reservations now as there can be a wait of 3 months for Jules Verne.There is also Tour d'Argent which is very nice.There are so many good places to eat,and if you are just out and about it is nice to look at the menus and say let's go for ithere!!! I am sure in your short stay in Paris you will have a wonderful time.

Cberge - Thanks for your suggestions on restaurants. Are you familar with my hotel or you just know the location. I haven't seen many reviews of the place al though the web site is beautiful.

What about shopping in Paris? I know that everything is really expensive. What would you say are 'must buys'?

Thanks again.

N

We will also be in Paris for a week from 18th onwards. We booked Taillevant months ago and friends of ours tried to book Le Jules Verne about 2 months before for their trip to Paris in September and it was completely booked out. I doubt if you would get a booking now at any of the top restauriants so close to your trip.

We have eaten at Le Jules Verne, La Tour d'Argent and also Le Grand Vefour. My favourites so far have been Le Jules Verne for the view and Le Grand Vefour for the ambience.

As far as shopping is concerned, get off the main areas into the side streets in the Opera area and also in the Marais district and there are some great clothing shops. Little boutiques that do not cost an arm and a leg. Even the big department stores such as Galleries Lafayette have some reasonable priced clothing. It is only if you buy the "big names" that you start paying out top dollars.

As you only have a couple of days I would forget about clothes and concentrate on seeing this wonderful city. To my eyes it is the most beautiful city in the world and I cannot get enough of its beauty and atmosphere.

Jennie

Cberge - Thanks for your suggestions on restaurants. Are you familar with my hotel or you just know the location. I haven't seen many reviews of the place al though the web site is beautiful.

What about shopping in Paris? I know that everything is really expensive. What would you say are 'must buys'?

Thanks again.

N

I have walked by the hotel,but have not stayed there.It is a little to modern for me,but I am sure you will be pleased.As far as shopping goes since you have so little time..if you want some nice shops there are some by the Hotel Crillion on Place de Concorde,but there are some great little shops on rue Rivoli right down the street with some great souvniers if you want some that are nice.There is always Galleries Layfette and Printemps od blvd. Haussmann just to check out..:).I don't find the prices all that bad,but then I am not shopping haute couture.As far as restaurants go since you do not have reservations..I am sure your concierge will be able to get you in any place...most of the top places do have cancellations on almost any given day so it would not hurt to ask.Have a great cruise as well as your stop in Paris.Oh..if you want a really old Paris restaurant that serves seafood..try Bofinger's by the Bastille..it is the original.and you should be able to get a table there..ask to sit upstairs.Also,Cafe de la Paix right across from the Opera Garnier is another good place to eat as well.Not the top dog like the other's mentioned,but very nice with good food.It is in the building of the Hotel Intercontinental.

There is no place I have been so far I loved more than Paris. We spent a week there three years ago and I would move there in a minute.

If you only have a day, you can't see too much. The top three sites for my money are the Eiffel Tower, Musee D'Orsay and the Louvre. But that leaves out a tremendous amount.

Walking, the Metro or taxi are the way to get around, in that order. I wouldn't take time to do the boat trip on the Seine. If you are staying near Place de la Concorde, walk up the Champ de Lysee and see the neat shops and the beautiful Arc de Tromphe. If you watch the Tour de France, as I do, you will find this very familiar. If you can walk up the Arc, this has a fabulous view of the streets which spoke out from it and of the Eiffel tower as well as other landmarks. It's worth it just to watch the traffic as 10 lanes converge and go every which way below you. It's a hoot!

I am going to Rome next month and hope it is as inspiring as Paris.

If you want to eat out a good restaurant but not pay the high prices of the top ones here is one that has been recommended by friends and we are also going try it out in October.

It is Aux Lyonaisse and here is a website detailing it:

http://www.foodtourist.com/FTGuide/Content/I781.htm

You will be eating wonderful food but not breaking the budget.

Jennie

David and Deborah,

You will find Rome so different to Paris, like chalk and cheese. We went to Rome first many years ago and loved the city, its antiquity, dirtiness and just the way the Romans go about their business each day with cars parked on the footpaths with not an inch between them, the vespas and the constant noise.

Then two years later we went to Paris and of course I fell in love again with another city. This time a very beautiful one that was just so different from my first love. It is really like loving children, you love each in a different way and that is how I feel about Rome and Paris. You cannot compare them to one another as they are really such opposites.

I hope you enjoy Rome as much as we have over the years.

Jennie

Archived