Question about cruising for Honeymoon

lugnut04

I have a question regarding going on a cruise for a honeymoon. With the new passport regulations, how do you handle the name change? We (my fiance and I) have passports from a previous cruise. So how does she handle the name change? Can you get your last name changed on your passport before you get married? How do you handle cruise docs? Do you bring alone your marriage cert? Or do you just not worry about it since your state ID wouldn't reflect the name change? Any help or advice would be appreciated! Thanks!

First, you can not change your/her 'legal documents' until you/she OFFICIALLY have taken your vows AND have your signed marriage license to prove it. So, your fiancé will have her DL, passport, SS number, etc all appear on any record w/ her maiden name. IF you are that concerned, take a photo copy of your signed marriage license w/ you (highly unlikely you will ever use it).

Second, her cruise documents are under the same rules. She can not "sign up under her married name" until she is actually married. That being said, while she is legally married when you board, all 'legal documents' will show up w/ her maiden name. Thus sign her documents w/ her maiden name.

Once you return from your honeymoon, then file all the necessary paperwork and have her name changed on all of her legal documents. In the interim, enjoy your honeymoon!!!!!!!!!! :D

Bruce

The rules are probably different in the States, but here in the UK you can apply for a passport in your married name before the wedding takes place. The priest or person who will be officiating at the ceremony has to retain part of the application form and if the wedding does not take place for some reason that part has to be forwarded to the Passport Office. The person with the passport in the new name then has to return it to the Passport Office. Even if they didn't return it, if they tried to use it it would show up as invalid on the system.

I had a passport in my married name prior to my wedding, as did my daughter. We did, of course, take care to book the honeymoon in our new names so that everything matched up.

Archived