Car rentals out of Livorno Italy

Has anyone rented a car out of Livorno Italy for the day....We cruise into this port....We are not sure what to do this day...we are there on a Monday so we thought about Lucca and the country side...maybe Pisa too...

Anyone who rented a car and drove around this area for just one day...and their experience with this....any information would be appreciated.

Thanks

We arrive Monday, Oct 22

Has anyone rented a car out of Livorno Italy for the day....We cruise into this port....We are not sure what to do this day...we are there on a Monday so we thought about Lucca and the country side...maybe Pisa too...

Anyone who rented a car and drove around this area for just one day...and their experience with this....any information would be appreciated.

Thanks

We arrive Monday, Oct 22

I have not rented a car in Livorno but I certainly have driven around this area a lot. I lived less than 10km from the Port of Livorno for 3 years. It is no big deal driving around this area; however I think that taking the train to Pisa, then to Lucca would be more cost effective and everybody has an equal opportunity to see the countryside.

For the adventuresome, there is a local bus that goes from the Pisa train station, along the Arno to Marina di Pisa, and then South along the coast, through Tirrenia (where I lived) and Calambrone to the vicinity of the Livorno train station.

Hi Ruth,

Avis delivered a car right to the dock for a very reasonable fee when were there in 03. We reserved it through Avis International. There was a guy waiting with a hand held computer to rent it to us when we walked down the gangway. We were told to lock the keys in the car when we brought it back. Very Nice!

John

Just got back from this port and rented a car there!!! We went with Avis, as the previous poster said, it was that easy. It was just under $100 Euros but it was right there when we got off of the ship and left it there when we were done. We done it all online with a booking. Good Luck!

I discovered Avis is closed in late November for several days. We finally found car rental through webcarrentals.com. Our problem was that we wanted to get an early start as we dock at 7am but most of the agencies don't open until 9am. This one is Maggiore at Via Fiume 31/33 so I'm hoping that's near enough to the dock that we can walk.

That brings up another question -- we have our car overnight. Can we park in the lot for cruise passengers departing from Livorno?

• 3 months later...
I discovered Avis is closed in late November for several days. We finally found car rental through webcarrentals.com. Our problem was that we wanted to get an early start as we dock at 7am but most of the agencies don't open until 9am. This one is Maggiore at Via Fiume 31/33 so I'm hoping that's near enough to the dock that we can walk.

That brings up another question -- we have our car overnight. Can we park in the lot for cruise passengers departing from Livorno?

I just looked at the address on maps.google.com . If I am correct in where the ship will dock, you will have about a 30-40 minute walk.

Archived