Can't find info - Cozumel Mexican Cuisine Excursion

Hi,

I asked this in the Cozumel ports of call board and got no replies for over a day, so I thought I would ask here and see if anyone knows.

I'm just curious - do you actually cook your own prepped food? The site makes it sound like you do the prep and then they cook it and serve it to you. My boyfriend is a chef, but of the classical french variety and thought it would be cool to learn to cook something traditional in Mexico. But if he's just cutting veggies, I don't think he would like it.

Also, do we each actually get to make our own or do you have to make something with a group of others. He's pretty shy and just the thought of a table of more than two of us at dinner bothers him, so I'm trying to ease him into things.:p

We did this last February in Cozumel. You are in a group, but you have your own work and cooking station, complete with chef's hat. It was a lot of fun- my husband didn't really want to do it, but we have been to Cozumel several times before, and I wanted to do something different. He ended up enjoying it just as much as I did.

I don't know if it has changed, but when I did it, we did sopa as an appetizer, then fish (I can't remember which kind- a white fish) with mango salsa that was delicious, and rice pudding with crispy cookies for dessert. If you don't like fish, you can do a chicken cutlet. The chef, Luis, talks you through everything, and he is very funny and entertaining. You get the basic ingredients already cut up- you cook and prepare it, and also garnish the plate.

There is also plenty to drink while you are cooking, which livens things up. At the end, they serve you the dishes with a wine selection. I would recomend it- we had a ball.

Ooh my first post. I just completed my first ever cruise on Freedom, in fact am sitting at MIA awaiting my flight home to the Bay Area. My partner and I both did the Mexico Cuisine excursion, I am an accomplished cook and found the level of cooking very basic indeed. You are taken to a beach resort about 6km away from the port and the chef takes you through a very basic Mexican meal of Sopes, Grouper with banana pepper stuffed with vegetables and mango sauce and then some rice pudding and strawberry cookies.

It is aimed at someone with zero culinary experience and initially I was irked by that as the description of the event suggests otherwise. However, you are oiled nicely with an inclusive open bar and the event itself is a lot of fun. Your boyfriend will probably find it almost insultingly basic, as I did but if he can just knock back a tequila or two and join in the fun then it is a good excursion. We were sharing our station with two others who were also accomplished cooks and they went through the same experience as me, they put their Escoffier pretensions aside and had a good time!

sounds like a blast...i'm not a trained chef, but i don't consider myself a beginner either..

however, the first 'ingredient' i get when cooking is a 'beverage'...beer, wine, whatever...and if i am making a 'fancy' breakfast (baled french toast prepared the previous evening, then just baked) a mimosa is in the rules!

so i may have to try this one out!

I can't thank everyone enough that gave me some feedback here. It was getting very frustrating to not have any replies on the port of call board!:eek: I think the idea of downing a couple of 'ritas will get him ready to get 'back to the basics' and have a great time!

Thanks again. I will be sure to include a very comprehensive review of this excursion plus my other excursions and the cruise, the food, the hotel pre cruise and everything when I review after I go. I know that thats what I look for when viewing the boards and searching.

Melody

Hope you have a great trip. When I did this, it was outside in a covered pavillion- I heard on another board that they now have their own kitchen facilities. I enjoyed being outside- it wasn't too hot. It is not haute cuisine, very basic, but I did enjoy the food, and of course Chef Luis!

Archived