What to do,where to go,what to see

britsbest

When we disembark Island Princess we have 3 nights post cruise staying at Redondo Beach.

Will not be renting a car.

Any advice on whet to do etc.

We are active (ish) 50 somethings and want to make the best of our time.

We have done sea world etc in Florida so I guess thats the same as Calif?

Bob

Hello...

I'm afraid that you've asked a difficult question. What to do for three days without a car?

Since LA has virtually no public transportation, it's hard to advise you. I asked what hotel you're staying in because it's possible that the hotel would have tours available that you could utilize to get yourselves around. You might check with the concierge.

Not knowing why you chose Redondo, I might suggest you go a little further up the coast and stay in Santa Monica. It's a walkable area with quite a lot to keep you busy, depending on your interests. Bikes are usually available if you like to ride. Tours are available to the Getty Museum, which is quite a different kind of architecture than you'd usually find in Cheshire.

I'm a native Californian, getting ready to leave for the UK in two days and, personally, I'd never leave there if I lived in such a beautiful pastoral area. I do hope that you enjoy your time here.

With a bit more info, some of us may be of more help to you.

Best regards,

murphysmum;)

I agree. I grew up in Redondo Beach, and my parents live there still. There is nothing to do there without a car other than go to the beach and the pier, which should take no more than 1/2 day. Either stay elsewhere, or plan to rent a car. There is no SeaWorld in the LA area either. You would have to drive 120 miles from there to San Diego to see that. With a car, Redondo Beach is not a bad place to commute into the Getty Center, or up to Santa Monica, but you would probably do better to actually stay in Santa Monica (and still get a car). LA is car culture....and public transportation is poor and inconvenient.

That's bizarre that Princess would put any their passengers down in Redondo Beach (unless they're also providing a tour with transportation). I know that many people stay at the LAX Marriott booked thru Princess, but at least that's closer to places such as Santa Monica (but still would require transportation).

As you'll find out from reading the threads in the West Coast destinations forum, Los Angeles is very widespread and doesn't have a great rapid transit system (especially for those just visiting and not knowledgeable about the environs).

Archived