Debit Card Question

Mschif78

All this talk about debit cards has me thinking. So if im going on a 7 day cruise...its 200 pp deposit, so for 3 people, thats 600 bucks. is that the hold they put on it the first day????? If so, i will need to tell my bank to up the limit they set for everyone, but then the rest of the week should be fine right? as long as I dont go over my banks 500 per day limit, which i definately wont. HELP! so confusing! Maybe i should just bring complete cash.

Kerry

I found this on another thread..maybe it will be clearer...If you search for debit cards under CCL you will find alot of info....

Yes, they MAY only put a hold of $200,,,, HOWEVER

when your S&S account gets up to that $200, Carnival will call and get another approval for another $200..... NOW you've got a $400 HOLD

and so on and so on.

Now, at the end of the cruise, your S&S account total is (let's say) $400,,, Carnival debits your account $400.

That's a total of $800 now unavailable to you. The "Holds" will be release sometime in the near future, but thats really up to the merchant and the bank.

I only use my debit card on the cruises because I dont like spending money that I dont have; it's so easy with a sail and sign card.

I have never had any problems with Carnival and my debit card. They charge my card the day of debarkation and release the money heald the same day.

Do not hesitate to use your debit card with Carnival.

One thing I do do is call my bank and let them know that there will be charges from Carnival and the ports.

Happy Cruzing!

I believe that the $500/day limit is for cash out of an ATM. The amount of the "hold" for the S & S account or charges while in port, won't be affected, as long as you have the money in the bank.

Some banks have a $1,000 limit on any one transaction, which you can have raised by asking your bank to do so.

Rick

I only use my debit card on the cruises because I dont like spending money that I dont have; it's so easy with a sail and sign card.

I have never had any problems with Carnival and my debit card. They charge my card the day of debarkation and release the money heald the same day.

Do not hesitate to use your debit card with Carnival.

One thing I do do is call my bank and let them know that there will be charges from Carnival and the ports.

Happy Cruzing!

Credit does not equal debt. For me I consider it dangerous to use a credit card without the funds in the bank to pay the bill. I just use a credit card for the free loan during the grace period, and pay it off before the bill is due.

Credit cards are so much safer than debit, just google the subject and you can get quite an education, most have a very false sense of security when it comes to debit cards even if it has the visa/mastercard logo. Consumer Reports has an article about it this month.;)

MAC

What you could do is put everything on a Credit Card then the next to the last night (do not do it on the last night) pay it off with your Debit Card. Then you wont worry if you have enough money on the Debit Card.

I think that this is the best idea, especially if people are nervous about running up debt.

You can keep up with your balance on some ships through the television, or you can stop by the purser's desk daily for a print out to stay on track.

MAC

I took credit cards, debit cards and travelers checks on my cruise on the Imagination in November 06. I wanted to save the CC for any large purchases on the islands. I called Carnival to check their hold policy on debit cards and was told it could be between $200-300pp. When you reach the limit, they put another hold on for $200-300. I went to my bank and informed them of my travel plans and they recommended using travel checks. I used the travel checks for the Sail & Sign Card and Debit Card for purchases in GC and Ochos Rios. I did not use my CC one time, which is one less bill I had to wrry about. I'm getting ready to book a cruise for summer 08. I'm going to load up my onboard account ahead of time, so when its time to cruise I won't have to worry about onboard purchases or the S&S card either. Then I can get a new watch and some jewelry on one of the islands.

I use my debit card on every cruise (except those that are "business cruises" :D) and have never had a problem... I use travelers checks and cash in ports, and leave my cards on the ship... I have been very lucky with my credit union any time I have had a problem with my debit card... but you do need to make sure you have enough money in the account to cover holds and purchases... also, if you have a daily limit, you may need to have it raised depending on your final bill.

I've read about the "double" holds on debit cards on these boards. Last cruise I decided to see for myself.

I used my debit card. When I returned home I checked my balance on the ATM. The nonavailable amount was the exact amount of my S&S bill. Not double.

Maybe it's because it's a credit union card? Or maybe because it has the VISA logo so they run it through as a credit card? I know I didn't have to use my pen number when I gave Carnival my card.

Just my experience.

I've read about the "double" holds on debit cards on these boards. Last cruise I decided to see for myself.

I used my debit card. When I returned home I checked my balance on the ATM. The nonavailable amount was the exact amount of my S&S bill. Not double.

Maybe it's because it's a credit union card? Or maybe because it has the VISA logo so they run it through as a credit card? I know I didn't have to use my pen number when I gave Carnival my card.

Just my experience.

My credit union is very quick on releasing the hold... by the time I get home, it's usually released... But I do check my balance mid cruise and the hold is definitely there. Carnival ONLY accepts debit cards that have the Visa/MC logo, they don't accept regular debit cards. You don't have to give them a pin number (that would be very bad :eek: )... some banks release holds quicker than others. the problem comes in when someone doesn't have the money in there for the hold and the charges... if you do, you will never even notice the hold, just like with gas stations and hotels, they are transparent...

You don't have to give them a pin number (that would be very bad :eek:

Yeah....as an old teller I know better....lol!

I guess I should have said they didn't swipe my card and have me enter my pin.

You'd be surprised how many people come to the bank with no ID and tell me their pin number as ID. Well....maybe not!!!

All this talk about debit cards has me thinking. So if im going on a 7 day cruise...its 200 pp deposit, so for 3 people, thats 600 bucks. is that the hold they put on it the first day????? If so, i will need to tell my bank to up the limit they set for everyone, but then the rest of the week should be fine right? as long as I dont go over my banks 500 per day limit, which i definately wont. HELP! so confusing! Maybe i should just bring complete cash.

Kerry

Why not just prepay a credit card the amount you plan to use. Then you won't feel guilty using it. If you go over a few bucks, no worries, pay it off with your debit card when you return. You can only do this if your credit card balance is $0.

Hey well i work for Bank Of America, and what limit the bank has is Atm, and POS(point of sale) which is when you use your Card at a Store to make a purchase.

The average per CARD is 500 ATM, and 3500 POS, but this depends on the Bank, the account etc.

Now what the companies do is Authorize a certain amount to make sure your account has sufficient funds, which typically puts a hold on that dollar amount

But if your gonna use your debit card be sure and call your bank before because their is a department that monitors card activity and may block your card if you have unusual activity out of your town.

I love all this advice. Thank u so much! Some of the advice I can not adhere too- Being as I do NOT have a credit card, unfortunately. Well I do have a credit card- but not with enough available LOL!!

I have a debit card from a credit union with a MC logo on it.

My problem is (and believe me, this annoys me SO much) is that my credit union has a rule, that they do not authorize any purchase over 500 dollars. Every time I want to make a purchase over 500 dollars I have to call the credit union and tell them to raise it, and even THEN they said they will only raise it for the day. This has posed quite a problem before being that I do make large purchases- ofcourse always having the money in there but I have to call every time. I have inquired about getting it raised indefinately and they told me if I dont have a running balance of 3k in my acct at all times, then they will not raise that 500 dollar rule. Now- i dont have 3K in there and prob never will have a running balance of 3k. Their solution to the problem is telling me if I want to make a large purchase to do it by check. I have told them this isnt feasible when doing things online!!! (drr) An example being when i purchased the cruise through expedia- it was a hassle...call the credit union...call expedia...make sure it goes thru even though I have PLENTY of money in there. Ugh, so annoying.

Anyway that was a little background to my dilemna. Honestly, I think Im just going to bring trav checks and do the S/S with that.

Kerry

I love all this advice. Thank u so much! Some of the advice I can not adhere too- Being as I do NOT have a credit card, unfortunately. Well I do have a credit card- but not with enough available LOL!!

I have a debit card from a credit union with a MC logo on it.

My problem is (and believe me, this annoys me SO much) is that my credit union has a rule, that they do not authorize any purchase over 500 dollars. Every time I want to make a purchase over 500 dollars I have to call the credit union and tell them to raise it, and even THEN they said they will only raise it for the day. This has posed quite a problem before being that I do make large purchases- ofcourse always having the money in there but I have to call every time. I have inquired about getting it raised indefinately and they told me if I dont have a running balance of 3k in my acct at all times, then they will not raise that 500 dollar rule. Now- i dont have 3K in there and prob never will have a running balance of 3k. Their solution to the problem is telling me if I want to make a large purchase to do it by check. I have told them this isnt feasible when doing things online!!! (drr) An example being when i purchased the cruise through expedia- it was a hassle...call the credit union...call expedia...make sure it goes thru even though I have PLENTY of money in there. Ugh, so annoying.

Anyway that was a little background to my dilemna. Honestly, I think Im just going to bring trav checks and do the S/S with that.

Kerry

Travelers Checks are good too. But, you really should call your Credit Card company and ask them to raise your limit. They will do this if you have proven that you are a good risk and have a good record. It is also important for you credit, every little bit helps. Also you may want to go to a bank as your Credit Union has so many rules. I have never had a problem with any of my finances when I use my Debit Card with my bank.

Good luck and have a great cruise.

Archived