Cartagena Columbia

JSeals4316

You might try any of the Deluxe tours offered by the Medellin Drug Cartel. ;)

I'm only partially joking ... I would be VERY VERY careful about which tour organization to choose in Columbia if you're not going to go with the cruise line's charters. Indeed, there may be reason to stay on the ship altogether. Please check this report from the US Department of State:

http://travel.state.gov/travel/colombia_warning.html

Whatever you do, take care and avoid looking like a tourist. You might want to think about speaking a language other than English ... I'm going to use Russian and Christopher plans on using French.

You might try any of the Deluxe tours offered by the Medellin Drug Cartel. ;)

I'm only partially joking ... I would be VERY VERY careful about which tour organization to choose in Columbia if you're not going to go with the cruise line's charters.

Our last Holiday cruise was scheduled for Cartagena - in the end we got an extra day at sea... due to the local unrest. My brother travels extensively between Dallas and Columbia each month - he still recommends caution, unless you know exactly what you are doing & where (specifically) you are going.

I was not aware Cartagena was back on HAL's itinerary? Does anyone have other information?

It may show on your itinerary but that doesn't mean that they will go there. On the Rotterdam a couple of years ago, the Port was scheduled, but we got an extra day at sea when they cancelled the stop. Having been there a number of times, we were very happy to by-pass Cartegena. The last few times we have been in this port we stayed on the ship and watched the soldiers with their rifles walking up and down the dock and the gun boat docked beside the ship. :eek:

Russian and French??????? You're kidding of course!

I personally would stay away from any private tour company, if there is such a thing there. Best is to take a ship excursion.

Have been to Categena several times - hate the port.

This is not a safe country - if your friend's ship really does end up stopping there - take a ship's tour. The most popular tour is the city tour. Stay away from the bay cruise - very hot on an old boat - don't see much of anything.

Tell your friend to be very careful - don't wear jewelry - take only 1 credit card and not much cash.

I'm surprised that HAL is still stopping here. Take a ship's tour and stay with your group. Do not wander off.

Use insect spray all over yourself before you get off of the ship. I'm not kidding. This is a dirty, awful city and there is little of no sanitation. Do not eat or drink there.

I have been there twice. Once I took a city tour though HAL shore excursions and the other time I stayed aboard ship. One visit was enough for me.

We're stopping there via the Volendam on October 13th. Various members of our group of 9 are taking three of the ship's tours: Rosario Islands, Cartagena City, and the Walled City Historical Walking tour.

I agree with the rest of the posters. Don't go without a ship's tour.

Have been to Categena several times - hate the port.

This is not a safe country - if your friend's ship really does end up stopping there - take a ship's tour. The most popular tour is the city tour. Stay away from the bay cruise - very hot on an old boat - don't see much of anything.

Tell your friend to be very careful - don't wear jewelry - take only 1 credit card and not much cash.

Totally Agree with Krazy Kruizers!!!

Hopefully, you'll miss the port and have a wonderful day At Sea! :rolleyes:

Happy Sailing! OCruisers :)

I guess I must be different. In April the Zaandam stopped there and we took the city tour with the ship. I thoroughly enjoyed it. The monastry was wonderful. I bought some nice leather items in Cartegena, and got great buys on leather sandals. I enjoyed seing the locals part of town, even the slums, the only thing I didn`t like was the continuous begging. Then again, if you just gave them a polite "no gracias" you won`t have a problem....jean :cool:

It may show on your itinerary but that doesn't mean that they will go there.

I understand that perfectly. I'm not ignorant of the situation there. Nevertheless, it IS still on the itinerary AND not a few HAL ships have managed to stop there in the recent past. This is no guarantee, but I never said it was; and, I've been on cruises where we've had to divert due to security problems.

Having been there a number of times, we were very happy to by-pass Cartegena.

Having never been there, I would like to see it for myself.

The last few times we have been in this port we stayed on the ship and watched the soldiers with their rifles walking up and down the dock and the gun boat docked beside the ship.

That sounds very familiar to the time we stopped at the port for Caracas Venezuela and took the All-Day Caracas City tour. That was among the BEST tours we've taken on a cruise ... it was wonderful. The port was UGLY, the military were VERY evident and everywhere at the pier. HAL put us on buses and off we went to Caracas. We felt safe in Caracas, but we stayed with out tour groups.

Russian and French??????? You're kidding of course!

I'm fairly fluent in Russian and can "pass" if no one looks at my passport. Christopher is quite fluent in French, and can -- likewise -- "pass" for such if no one looks at his passport. We've done it in Europe on several occasions. When we had to admit we were Americans the locals didn't believe it. However ... yes ... I'm partly kidding. The trick I'm talking about is to not appear to be an American, and there are several ways of doing that; both in terms of attitude, dress, and how one carries oneself. For instance, I have some t-shirts and other clothing that have various Russian slogans and brand-names on them which I acquired on Russia.

I personally would stay away from any private tour company, if there is such a thing there. Best is to take a ship excursion.

I totally agree. Assuming the Zaandam stops there while on our cruise -- as per the itinerary -- Christopher and I intend to take the city tour offered by the line.

Archived