Uniworld 11/23

michy

Any advise on the River Empress Holiday Market

Cruise with Uniworld. Is tipping included or how

much should we tip and to whom? Can we exchange

$$ aboard? What is the best way to buy things i.e.

credit card? cash?

Hi Michy:

Tipping is always extra and they suggest 10 euros per passenger per day to the ship staff and then 3 euros per passenger per day for the cruise director.

The ship staff splits all tips equally, from the dishwasher right up to the captain.

The cruise director is tipped separately because they are independent contractors, not cruiseline employees.

You will be given envelopes on the last day with an explanation on how to do it. It is of course totally up to your discretion, but if your experience is as wonderful as mine was, you might be giving more, as I did.

As far as changing money onboard, I don't believe that you can change US currency. I was told that you can change euro travellers cheques though.

Credit card is how we paid for most things. Anything onboard was paid at the end by cc. In ports, there really isn't alot to buy except souvenirs.

Your meals will be back on the ship and there normally isn't a ton of shopping time. Just a couple of hours here and there after the tours.

Hope that helped.

One thing that I should have mentioned is that tips must be paid in cash so save some euros for that.

We carried a brick of travelers checks specifically for the trip-end tip; that way there was no worry about coming to the end of the line with too little cash.

Archived