Alaska Tour & Travel

viajeros

DW & I will be touring Alaska independently in late June '08 following a NB Holland America cruise. We pretty much know what we want to do & when, but need to make (or have made for us) multiple reservations (train, bus, bear-watching, lodging, etc). Would welcome any feedback on Alaska Tour & Travel. Reliability? Cost competitiveness? How did they handle problems when they have occurred? Thanks.

Ray

We did use them to book a hotel in Anchorage and Seward and the train from Anchorage to Seward. They booked us into Ramada Inn in Anchorage, a 1* place. It was very old and kind of run down. We boarded the train at 6:45AM for Seward, the trip was fantastic. Lots of great scenery. The cost wasn't too bad for a pkg plan. We stayed at Windsong Lodge when we got to Seward. It was very nice and rustic. Our room was bright and clean and full of log furniture. They did transfer us from Seward to the hotel and back to Seward when it was time to go back to Seward to board our ship.

I am making all of our reservations for us. This way I know what I am getting and what I want. I have reserved hotel, flightseeing, dogsledding, float plane, tours, etc. Just go to each cities website and go from there. It is easy. I did it all over the Med., Caribbean, Europe, etc.

Huge advise!!!! Follow the suggestions of this CC site. You won't go wrong.

Frankly, it's pretty simple to book direct with the vendors. I never use a "middle man" and find great advantage in booking direct. No, misinformation, due to relays, first hand information, and establishing a direct relationship can be very valuable. It pays to compare and confirm yourself and your pool of availablity will be much greater going on your own.

There is only one "train" interior Alaska, and not many buses. and again, I would NEVER leave to a middle man to choose for me a costly bear tour. I would be researching each available vender and contacting them myself. As for lodging- I'm not that picky- I book many times based on price and go with what I can get.

BudgetQueen & others: Thank you for your responses. I do appreciate what you are saying. We almost always...and have done so for our Alaska vacation...selected each component of the trip. Have already booked our excursions for each port visit on the cruise portion, all directly with the vendors. For the post-cruise portion, we had previously decided that we would take the AK RR from Seward to Anchorage. Have already booked an Anchorage B&B that friends recommended. I've spoken with Rusts Flying Service & decided that Redoubt Bay was best for our bear-watching in late June. Have decided to take the AM bus from Anchorage to Denali & then the AK RR from Denali to Anchorage 2 days later, etc, etc. What I was looking for was perhaps a single point of contact to handle reservations and problems if they should occur.

So, I'm still asking for feedback on Alaska Tour & Travel.

Archived