How hard is cave tubing?

SCDixie

I am going to Belize in Nov. Family cruise, they are trying to get me to go tubing with them. I am concerned that I am 55 and overweight, not to mention short...5ft. should I stay away from this activity?

I read you are linked together with your legs...:D my legs will most likely not hang over the tube far. Will I have to steps to climb or steep banks, etc.? How long is it, and do you have to paddle to keep up? My arms are short also so that is another issue.

:confused:

I did it at 61 with no problem last year, however I am in decent shape and not (much) overweight. I thought the walk was easy, but there are a few rough spots, it can be a little slippery and there are a couple of places with fairly steep slopes and rocks. I had no trouble carrying my tube, but the guides will carry them for people who need help.

I would advise using a tour company that links you together and does most of the paddling for you. We paddled some, but wouldn't have had too. I"m 5'3" and had no

problem with holding onto feet, but I was the last in line and didn't have anyone holding onto my feet. This might be an option for you, if you ask the guide.

The tubing the day we were there was lots of fun and I thought the ride on the tube was mostly easy, kind of like a lazy river at a water park. We saw people on the tour from our ship (Princess) who were having a lot of trouble paddling themselves down the river, drifting off in all directions, etc. That's another reason to book a private company with many fewer passengers per guide--we had about six people per guide.

Ultimately you have to decide, but we really did enjoy the trip.

Dixie, the walk through the jungle is harder then the tubing. I cant give too much advise but can tell you the time I went there were alot of 50 somethings and some overweight, which to me is 40-50 lbs. If your 50 or more over on a 5' frame I would pass as you have to "Jump" into the water with your tube off a small ledge maybe 8-10' up. it is moderately strenuous. Just my 2 cents.

i didn't think the excursion {via an independant} was strenuous per se, but i am also only 5" alittle chubby {15#'s} & i did have alittle troulble paddling myself {short arms also} :) we "hooked" @ x's and that was fine as was the walk to the caves.

I am going to Belize in Nov. Family cruise, they are trying to get me to go tubing with them. I am concerned that I am 55 and overweight, not to mention short...5ft. should I stay away from this activity?

I read you are linked together with your legs...:D my legs will most likely not hang over the tube far. Will I have to steps to climb or steep banks, etc.? How long is it, and do you have to paddle to keep up? My arms are short also so that is another issue.

HI My husband and I just got back from the Carnial Glory this moning. We had a blast. My dh's favorite stop was belize and the cave tubing. We are in our early 30's. We booked with cave-tubing.com and had a blast. They were easy to find after the tender and took us straight away to the cave site which is about an hour drive away in an a/c bus which was very nice. They had great commentary on the way which kept us a totally entertained! Was we were there I stripped down to just my bathing suit and sprayed some bug spray, I didn't get bit by anything nor do I rememeber seeing any bugs but then again I did put on the spray. Yhoney and his crew then handed out the tubs and life vests which are tied to the tube. We then proceeded the 20 minute walk or so to the caves. I did not think it was too much. The have steps up and down some the spots. The tour guides did help some people carrier their tubs if they needed it. Once we got to the spot it was nothing to slip into the water. I am not the kind that wants to jump so so they held my hand as and sat down and then slide down into the water. I won't lie it is cold! But it wasn't so cold you couldn't stand! It was acutally refreshing after the walk. Carnival only doesn one cave while we did two. Carnival always does not link anyone while cave-tubing linked us all together I am only 5'4' and I didn't have a problem. I asked how my big fat butt was going to get into the tub after I got into the water and the cruise guides said easy just jump up...I did and the tub was under me! There are parts were it is very shallow and everyone will yell butts up! You may hit a rock but trust me the river is so lazy that all we did was crack up! There are points were the current pics up but our guide was really good about keeping us on track! We paid $45 for two caves per person! It was a blast and I would definately do it again! Trust me if I can do it you can there was absolutely nothing to be scared of!

i didn't think the excursion {via an independant} was strenuous per se, but i am also only 5" alittle chubby {15#'s} & i did have alittle troulble paddling myself {short arms also} :) we "hooked" @ x's and that was fine as was the walk to the caves.

I MEANT WAS NOT STENUOUS ......

Booked one off the ship last year. If I do this again I will pick a tour that hooks you all together. The walk was a little long and very muddy after a rain, but not hard. A few steps to climb after we waded across the river and we didn't have to jump in where we started the float. I'm 5'3" and 50 lbs overweight (but active with walking, golf, volleyball) and my husband is not a swimmer so he had his feet under my tube. I did think that I couldnt' get my arms far enough in the water to paddle hard. I got my butt hung up on a shallow area inside the cave in the dark and nobody came to help. I thought I might be there all day. You aren't too get out of the tube in the cave so I had to bounce and wiggle off the rocks. Husband also scrapped the front of his shoulder on one of the limestone walls when trying to keep the tube from hitting. Not a deep cut, but still can see a five-inch scar after a year. The rocks where you get out are rounded from the faster water and slippery. Husband slipped getting off the tube and went down river 20' until someone grapped him. (Thank you, thank you, thank you). He still tells me that I didn't panic enough and seemed a little too calm. I tell him that I was trying to remember how much he was insured for.;)

I did this tour with a company that did not hook you together and I will tell you, the other people looked like they were having a BLAST. (They were hooked together.) I did not use cave-tubing dot com, but I would if I ever went back. They guides seemed really great and explained a lot of things to the people on their tour and just had great, fun attitudes.

My tour was fine, too, but I wished I would have booked with the other tour.

As for how strenuous it is, well I think it depends. I was there in September and it was HOT. The walk was about 30 minutes and you do have to watch your step. I am in great shape (athletic) and still found it slightly challenging (although it could have been the 100 degree heat). It can definitely be done, but if you "hate" exercise and strenuous stuff, you may not like that part. Plus, you are carrying this big rubber tube, which isn't really heavy, but after walking with it for 30 minutes in the jungle, you feel it, I tell you. In my tour, we were not hooked together for the actual tubing, so it was hard with the paddling and trying to keep from running into branches and the sides of the river, but the hooked together people were just floating along and having a grand old time.

Hope this helps!

Couldn't edit the above message, but there isn't anything else to do in Belize! The 'zoo' is more of a rescue and/or tourist info place for the local animals... We ain't looking at the SanDiego Zoo, folks!!

Reggie told me the zip line in Belize isn't worth the time or money (we originally booked that until we found out we were going to Roatan instead of Costa Maya ~ (Jungle Canopy in Roatan is twice as long as the Cruise 'Canopy Tour', and half the price ... any cabbie will get you there)

Enjoy!

thank You everyone for taking time to help me. I am still undecided :o

But your information has really helped.

I think the person my family group I am going with booked this tubing with is Major Tom...or Major something. she told me he was very caring, but still not sure I know I will be able to go down..I am not too proud to slide on my butt.LOL but without steps going up may be a prob...bad knees

thanks again

I have done this myself. The hike thru the forest is the hardest part. It was not terrible tho. Just hot. Be sure to wear water shoes and not flip-flops or something that will come off your foot easily.

I am the same height as you, overweight as well, and did not have any problems. It is to this day one of my most favorite excursions. I would do it again, over and over.

Couldn't edit the above message, but there isn't anything else to do in Belize! The 'zoo' is more of a rescue and/or tourist info place for the local animals... We ain't looking at the SanDiego Zoo, folks!!

Reggie told me the zip line in Belize isn't worth the time or money (we originally booked that until we found out we were going to Roatan instead of Costa Maya ~ (Jungle Canopy in Roatan is twice as long as the Cruise 'Canopy Tour', and half the price ... any cabbie will get you there)

Enjoy!

I respectifully disagree. I did the zip line in Belize and it was AWESOME! I highly recommend it.

Also, there are things to do in Belize other than the cave tubing. Next time, I am very much looking forward to snorkeling (or if you dive, diving). Belize has one of the largest and most beautiful barrier reefs in the world.

No, not at all! It's quite an experience and IMO, one not to be missed. We did this just a couple of weeks ago with Major Tom. In our family, we had my mom who is 64 with back problems, my partner who is pretty significantly overweight (and claustrophobic!), my son who is 17 and an athlete, and my daughter and I who are short (and I'm overweight, too). We all did just fine. If you go with Major Tom and you can't walk very fast, don't worry about the hike, because George will take good care of you and go as slow as you need to go. He will also carry your tube for you if need be. Once you get in the water, it's a piece of cake. Just be sure to lift your butt when they tell you to!

thank You everyone for taking time to help me. I am still undecided :o

But your information has really helped.

I think the person my family group I am going with booked this tubing with is Major Tom...or Major something. she told me he was very caring, but still not sure I know I will be able to go down..I am not too proud to slide on my butt.LOL but without steps going up may be a prob...bad knees

thanks again

If you are going with Major Tom, you will have no problems. I have read MANY reviews here and have talked with Major Tom at length about the difficulty of the hike. He always has extra help for those who are a little slower or might need extra help. I have heard that someone will even carry you if needed! His site even advertises that he will make accomodations for those with mobility issues to enjoy the tour to the fullest.

I'm SO excited about my upcoming cruise & especially with my tour with Major Tom!

Hello all! We just returned from the Glory on October 13 and had a blast cave tubing in Belize. We booked thru cave-tubing.com with Yhonny. It cost us $45 per person but was money well spent.

After tendering to the pier, we proceeded thru terminal 1 to meet up with our guide. This process was very easy, as they had our group leader's name posted on a white board. We had a short wait while they grouped us together and then we boarded the bus for an informative tour of the island. We then started a most enjoyable journey that will stay in our hearts and minds for the rest of our lives. After about a 40-45 minute drive, where we were entertained the whole way by Yhonny, Elvin, Richard, Timmy, Jimmy and the baby boys, we exited the bus to have a bonus ATV ride, compliments of cave-tubing.com. What a rush!!!!!!!!!!!!! I have to say, I really enjoyed the cave tubing but the 4 wheelers made my day! There is nothing like riding thru the rainforest and seeing it's awesome beauty and feeling the rush of adrenaline as you zip around over trails and muddy paths before you move on to the cool water of the caves. I would have to say hands down, this was my favorite activity and I will definitely do it again. After we all hosed down, we boarded the bus and continued on to the caves. We all had the chance to partake of some cashew wine as we were driving to the cave site. I feel that Yhonny and the boys did their best to make the ride pass by as quickly as possible for us. Upon arrival at the caves, we were handed our headlights, tubes and lifejackets. The boys were real gentlemen and insisted on toting our tubes for us. The walk is at least 40 minutes long, and you are walking on lots of rocks, so definitely no flip flops or bare feet! Thicker soled shoes would be your best bet. You can either jump in from a cliff about 8 - 10 feet or you can slide into the water with the assistance of Richard and the boys. Here you are all hooked together and the boys propel you easily thru the water, no work for you, just sit back and enjoy the sights. Breathtaking foilage and beautiful birds are at every twist and turn. We were glad that we booked thru someone that knew the caves because the term "Butts Up" really comes in to play frequently on your trip down the winding river. Kudos to Yhonny, Richard, Jimmy, Timmy, Elvin and the adorable "baby" boys for all their hard work to make our trip a wonderful experience that we will never forget and one that we look forward to repeating again and again!

Archived