NCL Sun vs RCCL Liberty

amjdcm

I am stuck. I need some advice. I currently have a cruise booked on the Liberty of the Seas for the 12-15-07 departure. I booked almost a year in advance and got a price of $2281.50 total. I booked a balcony cabin. I have sailed RCCL before but not on the Freedom class ships.

I just got an offer from NCL to sail on the sun, also in a balcony cabin for a total price of $1553.00. I have also sailed on NCL before, I sailed on the Jewel when she was just months old.

My savings if I switched would be aprox. 728.00 dollars total. I want to save money, but do not know if the NCL Sun is in good shape. I know about the onboard experice of NCL. I like to travel on newer ships, that is why we sailed on the Jewel last year and are booked on the Liberty this year. But we do not mind sailing on an older ship if she is in good shape. Can anyone give me some information on the condition of the NCL Sun who has sailed on her recently?

Also, the itin on Sun is much better because it goes to Roatan and Belize, two ports that we have never been to. In contrast the Liberty does the same western itin, coz, g.cay, mobay and labadee. Any one want to chime in on the ports?

Looking for advice from my fellow CC's

i have no first hand experience on either ship... yet... but i will say that i'd go for the SUN, save the money and keep as far away from jamaica as possible.. downright scary port, if you ask me.

i'm also not into the rock climbing and all that jazz on RCCL so that wouldn't sway me.

I have sailed the Sun twice; once when she was about 6 months old and again last year. She is in spotless condition, at least that is my opinion. Is she as nice as the Jewel? No, her cabins are a little bigger but 6 years old (acually 7) isn't the same as new. The only real problem I have is the cabin decor. I just hate the bedspreads and carpet: my opinion again. The crew is about the friendliest we have even seen. For me, it is a toss up which ship I liked the best, the Jewel or the Sun. If it were me, I would save the money and go on the Sun, but if new is your thing, well? she isn't new.

Nita

I was also on the Sun when it was new and really liked the ship. Two items to consider:

1. If you have been on a Voyager class ship, you have been on a Freedom class ship - unless you want to use the waverider.

2. Freestyle dining versus conventional dining if you have a preference.

Roatan and Belize are two of my favorite ports. Absolutely stunning snorkeling. Many interesting things to see and do. Been to both of them twice now. Also, loved the cave tubing in Belize as well as the reef snorkeling in Roatan. If the ship isn't that important to you, these ports are well worth changing for.

We were on the Sun in Dec. '01,had a great time,but she is NO match for the Liberty-really,are you kidding? Comparing a 78,000 ton ship to the brand new 160,000 ton Liberty is not fair...it's like comparing a Hilton to a Ritz-Carlton..nice to much nicer....there is sooo much to do on the Freedom class ships...The Freedom class ships are the Voyager class ships on steroids,and much newer and nicer....and despite what others have said,I,too,am NOT into rock climbing (nor bowling on the new NCL ships),but I AM into the Royal Promenade,British Pub (best!),Vintages Wine Bar,the ice-skating shows (which are FABULOUS-DON'T MISS!),and of course,the absolute BEST hot tubs on the 7 seas are in the Adult Solarium-those are the 2 that stick out over the sides,112 ft. up from the water with a breathtaking view of the sea...Like I said,loved the Sun and the Dawn,but no match for Freedom class ships or even the Voyager class....

Big Al

Archived