Dinning room dress code

Bolaine

As a first time cruiser, I need to know.

Other than "Formal Night" what is the dress code in the dinning room. :confused:

Anything really. No one will enforce anything but thay say you should know better,so the waiters dance on tables so wear your best table top dancing outfit.:p

OK, Bob. I'll have to see if I can figure out who you and DW are! My sister breeds ECS and lives outside Atlanta.

Enjoy your cruise!

We live N.W. of Phila., Pa.

Copper was there with Kelly Fritzgerald.

This was only his scond week out.

The reason this topic gets people riled is that there are actually 3 questions, and people get them confused.

First, what are the stated rules, and is wearing jeans to dinner within the rules? The rule was quoted above. "Casual Resort Wear: sport shirts and slacks; dresses; skirts; pantsuit." Unless you're wearing a dress, skirt or a pantsuit, that means slacks. If you believe "slacks" means jeans, wearing jeans is within the rules. I don't believe "slacks" means jeans.

Second, can you get away with wearing jeans? Almost certainly. You can probably also get away with wearing shorts, in spite of an express prohibition, and eating dinner with a baseball cap on.

Third, is wearing jeans at dinner the right thing to do? Only you can answer that for yourself. I would never presume to judge the sartorial, religious or political choices of others, regardless of how misguided I believe they are.

Anything really. No one will enforce anything but thay say you should know better,so the waiters dance on tables so wear your best table top dancing outfit.:p

I agree, no one will say anything....but I wouldn't wear my best table top dancing outfit unless I was applying to become a Carnival waiter!

I prefer to be the customer, not the server! ;)

There are some very nice, dressy, bermuda shorts that are popular these days. I would wear those just as I wear my "fancy" capris to dinner, on occasion. Normally, I wear a dress, but I do have dressy pantsuits that I wear for dinner. But young women can wear the latest styles and it somehow looks more appropriate than it might on us middle-aged gals!

I think most of us sort of intuitively know if we're dressed appropriately. Some here seem to get really upset because they think people want to "get away" with something.

I don't know. Maybe they do. Maybe they want to pack 4 items of clothes for a week onboard and need to pack light for they can smuggle on 5 liters of booze and 2 cases of beer.

But maybe not. Maybe they just don't know how to interpret the "suggested attire" that the cruise line presents.

OP: Kelly's a great handler. I'm wondering if you got him from Lauren Sorrentino? I believe she's in that area. She bred one of her girls to my dog a few years ago. Who knows? Maybe your boy is a great-great-grandson of my Norman. He did produce a lot of Orange. He's a black, white & tan (which is pretty rare).

There are some very nice, dressy, bermuda shorts that are popular these days. I would wear those just as I wear my "fancy" capris to dinner, on occasion. Normally, I wear a dress, but I do have dressy pantsuits that I wear for dinner. But young women can wear the latest styles and it somehow looks more appropriate than it might on us middle-aged gals!

I think most of us sort of intuitively know if we're dressed appropriately. Some here seem to get really upset because they think people want to "get away" with something.

I don't know. Maybe they do. Maybe they want to pack 4 items of clothes for a week onboard and need to pack light for they can smuggle on 5 liters of booze and 2 cases of beer.

But maybe not. Maybe they just don't know how to interpret the "suggested attire" that the cruise line presents.

OP: Kelly's a great handler. I'm wondering if you got him from Lauren Sorrentino? I believe she's in that area. She bred one of her girls to my dog a few years ago. Who knows? Maybe your boy is a great-great-grandson of my Norman. He did produce a lot of Orange. He's a black, white & tan (which is pretty rare).

Got Copper from Lauren.

She is Co-ower.....

He is out of Ch Pennwood Runaround Sue... who is by Ch Bellflower Nonpareil

What is your line?

Why do people think jeans are "redneck"??? Jeans that are clean with no holes can be much more expensive than a pair of dockers. I wear jeans all the time when not working and wouldn't consider myself a "redneck". I mean, jeans are not okay but a golf shirt is? I think a man in a nice pair of jeans and a nice button down shirt looks hot...not "redneck". Jeans do not determine whether you have class or not...that would be your demeanor.

while not redneck, they are not formal either, nor resort/smart casual (unless you wear them with a sports coat). As I tell my 20 something older DSs, just because you pay a lot $ for a item of clothing doesn't make it quality or necessarily appropriate for the venue, just that you shelled out big bucks.

IMO, you are describing more of a Leisure attire (what many people change into after dinner;) ), not business-, smart-, or even resort- casual.

men's smart casual - "wearing dress trousers (or even crisp jeans), a long-sleeve shirt, maybe a tie, leather loafers or dressy slip-on's, patterned socks or solid-colored dress socks, a tipped belt, and you may or may not wear a sport coat." A sports coat is required with jeans.

woman's smart casual - includes "slacks, crisp jeans, or a skirt (long or short), a blouse or turtleneck, a fashionable belt, a jacket, a vest, or a sweater coordinated to your outfit, hosiery or socks with boots, flats (leather, suede, or fabric) or mid-heel shoes."

Of course, until the cruise line states an less ambiguous dress code or starts directing inappropriately-attired guests to the lido deck, i'm afraid it's apparently a moot point.

Other than "Formal Night" what is the dress code in the dinning room. :confused:

FYI, the dress code is followed by from 70% to 95% of all passengers on any given cruise. 3, 4, and 5 day cruises are more casual than 7 day and longer. I think jeans are a poor choice but there is NOT a rule against them.

And its DINING ROOM unless the singing is too loud, then its DINNing room.:D

Dan

FYI, the dress code is followed by from 70% to 95% of all passengers on any given cruise. :D

Dan

This is true Dan, on an average I have seen only 1 person in Jeans and only a few ladies in shorts. The majority will be dressed for the occasion.

Fred

we sailed the Legend in August and alot of people wore jeans in the dinning room. I go with the rule that other have mentioned. Wear what make you comfortable.

I can tell you that you will be shocked to see what some will wear in the dinning room. We saw everything from sweats to cutoff shorts.

This "whatever makes you comfortable" stuff just doesn't work.

I'm going to get all snobbish now and ask if those wearing sweatpants wouldn't be more "comfortable" at the buffet where they can eat 5 heaping plates of food, then try every dessert, and then have some pizza.

Sweats and cutoffs are NOT appropriate in the dining room on any night.

I guess I just don't get it. What the heck is so difficult about putting on some decent clothes? You don't have to be "formal" on "resort casual" nights. But resort casual does not mean sweats and cutoffs!

If it's the first night and their luggage may not have arrived yet, it's still their responsibility to carryon a change of clothing exactly because that's a possibility.

Just eat at the buffet, already! And guys, not in your swimtrunks with your fat belly hanging over the trays. Ick.

we sailed the Legend in August and alot of people wore jeans in the dinning room. I go with the rule that other have mentioned. Wear what make you comfortable.

I can tell you that you will be shocked to see what some will wear in the dinning room. We saw everything from sweats to cutoff shorts.

That's right. Afterall it's YOUR vacation so do what YOU want.

Bill

About 90% of the people on the cruise have never heard of Cruise Critic and won't be aware that you're supposed to look down your nose at those not dressed to your liking so go ahead and dress the way YOU feel is appropriate. Most won't notice or know that they're supposed to care.

It isn't about looking down your nose at anyone!

It's about complying with the cruiseline's guidelines on what is acceptable to wear and what isn't.

Honestly, people. I'm not a rich, stuckup snob (if I were, I'd spend my vacations in my villa in the South of France, not cruising on Carnival ;) ), but the majority of people attempt to comply with the dress code guidelines.

Will you be thrown out? Probably not. It seems some ships are more lenient than others and that it's up to the Maitre'd. But when 85-90% of the people make an attempt to dress for dinner (I'm not talking glitzy here, just resort casual), to just show up in any old sloppy attire is thoughtless and selfish.

But if that's how you choose to look, that's your problem.

I'll have people looking at me because I look nice, not because I look like a slob.

:cool:

It isn't about looking down your nose at anyone!

It's about complying with the cruiseline's guidelines on what is acceptable to wear and what isn't.

Honestly, people. I'm not a rich, stuckup snob (if I were, I'd spend my vacations in my villa in the South of France, not cruising on Carnival ;) ), but the majority of people attempt to comply with the dress code guidelines.

Will you be thrown out? Probably not. It seems some ships are more lenient than others and that it's up to the Maitre'd. But when 85-90% of the people make an attempt to dress for dinner (I'm not talking glitzy here, just resort casual), to just show up in any old sloppy attire is thoughtless and selfish.

But if that's how you choose to look, that's your problem.

I'll have people looking at me because I look nice, not because I look like a slob.

:cool:

Hey Joan....

Just a followup to Copper....

Our blue roan, Lady, is also from your line....

Her mother and Copper's mother are litter mates....

So my new line will come from yours....

Watch for the Bolaine line.....This will be our kennle's name.

Hey Joan....

I should have known that CCLs dress code was going to the dogs.:p

Hey Joan....

... whose second cousin twice removed was married to Cuba Gooding Jr., who played Cpl. Carl Hammaker in "A Few Good Men", which also starred

-- Kevin Bacon!!!

It's too funny. If the dog pics weren't included, I'd have never known we were "related!"

Sorry if I went into a bit of a rant about clothing. Although I've only been posting a short time, I've already seen way too many comments along the lines of "you're on vacation/on a cruise, do whatever you want" and I just don't think that adds anything to the discussion. If people intended to do whatever they wanted, they wouldn't come here and ask questions!

The objective is to share information and experiences.

Archived