temple in st. thomas

referee

We are going on the Jewel this Dec. I heard that St. Thomas has one of the oldest Jewish temples in the western hemisphere. Can anyboby give me any information about this. Is it near to the dock? Is is walkable etc.thanks for your help

The Temple is in "town" Charlotte Amalie. Town is within walking distance from Havensight if you can walk 1.5 miles in warm weather along the waterfront. If your ship docks in Crown Bay, most people don't recommend walking to town, because it's a bit further and not as scenic.

The Temple is also on/up a steep hill about 2 blocks off Main St, so you need to be pretty mobile to get up the hill or you'd need to find a cab driver at the dock willing to drop you off there, and then you can walk down back to Main St.

We've been there and it's well worth the trip. As for that hill, at one time they were selling shirts that read "I climbed Synagogue Hill." I'm not sure if they still do.

Barbados, Curacao and St. Thomas have synagogues among the oldest in the hemisphere, howeer, Barbados' has not been continuously active, as the other 2 have. Carmen Pizarro was a member of the St. Thomas synagogue.

Jodi

We've been there and it's well worth the trip. As for that hill, at one time they were selling shirts that read "I climbed Synagogue Hill." I'm not sure if they still do.

Barbados, Curacao and St. Thomas have synagogues among the oldest in the hemisphere, howeer, Barbados' has not been continuously active, as the other 2 have. Carmen Pizarro was a member of the St. Thomas synagogue.

Jodi

I believe the one is Curacao is the oldest. I would have loved to have gone to the one in St. Thomas when we were there but we didn't have enough time. Guess I will have to make another trip back to St. Thomas to see it. Yup, gotta take another cruise. :p Actually I would love to stay there for a week. We fell in love with the island.

We are also planning to visit the temple right before Steve Tryhune's Thriller Turtle Excursion. We will be off the Jewel on Dec. 26-- If you are on the same cruise, and want to share a cab to the synagoge and back, just let me know.... Anita

We will be in St. Thomas on a day there will be 5 or 6 ships in port. I forget exactly how many, and we are docking at Crown bay. We want to visit the temple , and then go to the beach, but we are worried that it will be very crowded at Magen's Bay where we love to go, and we will have trouble getting a taxi back in time. Anyone have any suggstions for a beach closer to Crown Bay? Or should we go to Magen's early in the morning and then stop at the temple on the way back. I will need a taxi because I can't walk that hill?

I believe the one is Curacao is the oldest. I would have loved to have gone to the one in St. Thomas when we were there but we didn't have enough time. Guess I will have to make another trip back to St. Thomas to see it. Yup, gotta take another cruise. :p Actually I would love to stay there for a week. We fell in love with the island.

The one in Curacao is the oldest (they are celebrating their 350th year this year!!) and also the oldest in the entire hemisphere. It's also beautiful and very famous. I have never heard of the one in St. Thomas.

Archived