Star Princess -Alaska Inside Passage

BillyMetz

OK all my great Cruise Critic fellow posters I need your opinions. I am looking at booking an Alaskan cruise late May or early Jun 08. I really like the Star Princess Inside Passage-Roundtrip from Seattle. I do not want to do the longer one way trips because a number of people I will be cruising with are very sensitive to sea sickness even with medicine. I understand the Inside Passage cruises are less likely to have as much motion except for the first day out of Seattle. We also do not have time or money for one of the longer land and cruise tours. Anyone who has been on this cruise recently please tell me your thoughts, or where I may find a review if you have done one already.

There is no review for the Star in alaska because they start next year from there. You might do a search on the Golden that went out of Seattle. There is alot of reviews on the Cruise Critic site of Golden review of Alaska. Also there is alot of info in regards to that subject over on the Ports of Call board for Alaska.

Marilyn

Ive only sailed to Alaska from Seattle..I hope to change that this next year :) But,I will say this..from what Ive heard,the waters will be rougher from Seattle..its more open seas and not truly the "inside" passage that you would get from Vancouver. My sil went with us,and she is very prone to motion sickness,and she got very sick one night..didnt bother me though.Im going to book my next Alaska from Whitter...I cant wait,Alaska is So beautiful! Dot

The RTs out of Seattle are not true Inside Passage sailings--you will be going on the West side of Vancouver Island and the seas can indeed be rough. I have sailed that trip twice and had very rough seas once, but fine on the other trip. The one-way trips from Whittier to Vancouver and vice versa are much more scenic and a true Inside Passage sailing. You can experience rough seas on this sailing as well, but it is less likely because so much of the cruise is in quite protected waters. If you think you may only cruise Alaska once, I highly recommend the one-way. On Princess it will include College Fjord and Glacier Bay. Glacier Bay is one of the most beautiful places on earth, IMHO.

Happy Cruising.

ladysheri,which one of the 3 ships to Alaska did you like best?Because of the dates,Im looking at the Sapphire or Diamond..Sailing on a wednesday is hard for me to do,so a saturday or sunday will be best.

BillyMetz my wife and I are going on the star june 1st 08 out of seattle for our first alaska cruise we hope it is as much fun as everyone says. I am really looking forword to this cruise we have been on CB twice to the caribbean and loved it looking forward to checking out the star.We have a balcony room on the aloha deck.

Ive only sailed to Alaska from Seattle..I hope to change that this next year :) But,I will say this..from what Ive heard,the waters will be rougher from Seattle..its more open seas and not truly the "inside" passage that you would get from Vancouver. My sil went with us,and she is very prone to motion sickness,and she got very sick one night..didnt bother me though.Im going to book my next Alaska from Whitter...I cant wait,Alaska is So beautiful! Dot

The only time I experienced rough water was when we cruised from San Francisco........from Seattle it was smooth all the way.....3X.:D

You can NEVER count on the weather - You can have rough seas and rain almost anywhere and anytime.....the luck of the draw........

We are doing Seattle rt again in August 2008............It's the easiest and most economical for us and there is plenty of beautiful scenery.....JMHO - Renee:D

ladysheri,which one of the 3 ships to Alaska did you like best?Because of the dates,Im looking at the Sapphire or Diamond..Sailing on a wednesday is hard for me to do,so a saturday or sunday will be best.

dalsal, We LOVED the Diamond the best. Even though the Sapphire and the Diamond are sister ships and almost identical, there was something a little more wonderful about the Diamond. Crew seemed more friendly; food a little better, everything a little more "ship-shape". It's bigger than the Sun, but we never felt like we were with a lot of folks...lots of places where one can escape. As you can see in my signature, we are going back again next year...this time on the Coral. I have heard many folks rave about the Coral/Island...looking forward to it. Since it departs on a Monday, many of the ports are less crowded when it is in town. We are combining the cruise with 5 days on land precruise, mostly in Denali. Our first cruise only whet our appetite for more--we LOVE Alaska.

dalsal, We LOVED the Diamond the best. Even though the Sapphire and the Diamond are sister ships and almost identical, there was something a little more wonderful about the Diamond. Crew seemed more friendly; food a little better, everything a little more "ship-shape". It's bigger than the Sun, but we never felt like we were with a lot of folks...lots of places where one can escape. As you can see in my signature, we are going back again next year...this time on the Coral. I have heard many folks rave about the Coral/Island...looking forward to it. Since it departs on a Monday, many of the ports are less crowded when it is in town. We are combining the cruise with 5 days on land precruise, mostly in Denali. Our first cruise only whet our appetite for more--we LOVE Alaska.

Thank you for the info! The Diamond actually has the best pricing! So,thats looking good to me. :) I could do the Coral,but a saturday or sunday departure is so much better for me. They frown on too much time away from work. I love Alaska too! When I went,I thought that would be my one and only time,but I came home trying to plan another one,and I hope to book one soon for 08. Take care,Dot

OK all my great Cruise Critic fellow posters I need your opinions. I am looking at booking an Alaskan cruise late May or early Jun 08. I really like the Star Princess Inside Passage-Roundtrip from Seattle. I do not want to do the longer one way trips because a number of people I will be cruising with are very sensitive to sea sickness even with medicine. I understand the Inside Passage cruises are less likely to have as much motion except for the first day out of Seattle. We also do not have time or money for one of the longer land and cruise tours. Anyone who has been on this cruise recently please tell me your thoughts, or where I may find a review if you have done one already.

Billy~ our first cruise was on the Star in August 2003 (I think) it was round trip out of Seattle and was amazing. We had a wonderful trip, a balcony room on the Lido deck. No problem with the weather or the seas, I know it's changeable but it's worth the chance.

Enjoy,

Archived